Upgrade Input

Pleeb

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
So I've had my current build for a little over 4 years and am in need of an upgrade, I already got a new GFX Card out of necessity (old one died a year or so ago) and got a EVGA GTX 460 and love it and am not looking to SLI. I also upgraded the PSU and case a week ago also out of necessity, a Corsair Pro HX750 and a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced, both of which are amazing. Currently U have an old AMD Dual Core that runs at 2.8 Ghz and 4 GB of DDR2 Crucial ram. I also have 4 hard drives, two 250 GB, one 500 GB and one 1TB, all 7200 RPM and I will phase out the 250s and 500 over time. So here is what I'm thinking my options are.

Option 1
AMD Phenom II X4 965 or 975
ASUS Sabertooth or ASUS M5A99X

Option 2
Intel i5 2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

With option one I would most likely upgrade my OS drive to a SSD as it would be significantly cheaper, but the Intel upgrade would allow me to have PCI Express 3.0 for future upgrades. For the RAM for either system I will probably go with two of the G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3 1866. I was also thinking about the AMD FX-8120, but I haven't heard the best reviews about it saying that AMD's FX line is a bit of a flop. I mostly use my PC for gaming, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Starcraft 2, The Old Republic, and many others. I occasionally use it for Photoshop for my photography hobby, but being able to render isn't a selling point, it is a nice consideration. I've also never done an Intel build before, I've always had AMD in the past, except for my laptop which has an i7 in it. Newegg is my preferred site for ordering my parts and I'd like to keep this on the cheaper side, but am flexible for better quality if I can be convinced rationally. Thanks for any input you guys can give! :)

Pleeb

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Do you use ASRock? I've heard mixed reviews from other friends, but have never personally dealt with that brand. I've always used ASUS, but I'm willing to give it a shot if you can convince me otherwise. :)

I have Asrock mobo in my build and run great by 1 year. I had no problem with my mobo. Asrock was owned by Asus but from 2010 is an independent producer. They have from who learn to make good mobos. Read some customers reviews from the Newegg link.