Need help with fan placement - Obsidian 800D build

zeddius

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hi, going to do a new build today and will be using the corsair H80 liquid cooler for the first time. This gives me a couple of new challenges wchich i am not familiar with and could use some input.

The obsidian 800 D has 1 stock intake fan at the bottom and one stock axhaust fan at the rear, see picture below.

The H80 cooler recommends that you install the fan at the rear position, replacing the exhaust fan with the radiatior fan blowing cool air into the case. This would basically mean that i have no exhaust fan.

So the question is, what do i do? I am not looking for the best possible solution, but a solution that works well enough. I can think of 2 solutions at the top of my head.

1) install the H80 radiator fans so that it blows out of the case
2) Install the H80 as intened, blowing cool air into the case and add 1 or 2 120MM fans at the top as exhaust.

Adding additional fans brings up the nest question, is there enough connections for power to the fans on the MB etc, or do i need some sort of power splitter etc? I am using the Corsair 850W Modular PSU and ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, Socket-1155 MB.

if you have not purchased the h80 then don't go with it.stock fans are crap.tubing isn't great too.it's waste of money IMO.better option is to get a high end air cooler.
800D is a great case.add two top fans better ventilation.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
If you do use a self contained Liquid cooling setup
The best way to use it is top mount it

Rear fan and bottom fans on the 800D have them as intake, top3 fans as exhaust, mount the liquid cooling rad to the middle fan on the top in push pull config
I did this with an Antec Kuhler 620 on my 3930K as a temp cooler till my w/c gear arrived worked extremely well in this config

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

Install the h80 so the fans blow air outside the case for sure.

There looks to be 3 fan headers on the board. If you want a power splitter I would just get a fan controller.
I have the NZXT Sentry 2 and it is ok. Terribly ugly though and the temperature gauges are not accurate and hard to use. I would have liked to get one of these- http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Mesh-Controller-Watts-Channels/dp/B005C31G30/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332171459&sr=1-2 or this- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998089 much easier on the eyes.