Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build, I have a few questions.

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2012 8:51:02 AM

Hi, my name is Michael and I am an amateur in building PC systems.
Ive read through a couple guides and reviews on-line on various components parts etc.
I have already bought a few parts of my build and I now need some guidance on the next parts I buy.
Im from New Zealand, so I dont know anything about Newegg and I will use NZD currency.
So ive got $1200-1500 NZD left to spend and I want to end up with a decent gaming rig.
For now, I will be using it to play League of Legends and Battlefield 3 and of course watch movies from time to time.
After ive researched online about overclocking, I probably will overclock the system, but not excessively.
Ive opted for 16GB ram, because its on special and I would like to use some of it as a RAMdrive, I heard that people have been getting stupidly outrageous load speeds on LoL, not too sure if it will RAMdrive will help BF3.

What I have so far:
NZXT Lexa Blackline
Samsung LA22D400 22" Series 4 LCD
Intel Core i5 2500K
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Vengeance 4x4GB (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9)
ASUS Optical Drive DRW24B3ST
Microsoft X6 Keyboard
Microsoft X5 Mouse
Razer Goliathus Fragged Mousepad

For the graphics card I was think about getting a Sapphire Radeon HD 6790 or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti now and then when I get more money later on I will buy another one and Crossfire/SLI them.

For the hard drives, I do not know what im doing. I figure I will need about 1TB and I cannot afford to by SSD's.
Ive ended up with four options:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX

So here are my questions:
1) Is there any compatibility issues with my build?
2) How much watts will my PSU need to have?
3) Recommend me a PSU?
4) Is it effective using the 6790 or GTX 550 in Crossfire/SLI?
5) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX vs Samsung Spinpoint F3?
6) Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 vs Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX?
7) Will this build need an after-market CPU cooler?
8) So my monitor is a TV, and I am having a bit of trouble understanding how this is going to work in HD. Do I need to buy an HDMI cable and plug it into the graphics card? If I want to watch TV normally on it, do I have to remove and cables every time I switch from PC mode to TV mode?

I thank you in advance for the help, and I hope that all these links will make it easier for you :D 

More about : build questions

Best solution

March 19, 2012 9:43:40 AM

First of all, you only really need 2x4g ram, but if you already bought it , it won't hurt having the extra.

If you are not very familiar with radeon cards I would suggest the 550 ti or better yet a gtx 460 if you can find it for a similar price. The 460 is just as good if not better.. The reason I suggest the nvidea is because radeon can be a headache for a new builder. If you are familiar with it tho, the radeon card you mentioned would perform better. It is the software that can give you a head ache.
Yes, It is affective to sli those cards, any of them, but if you can swing it, I would just save a little more and get a single 560 ti. You should be able to max graphics on any game out there with a single card with a 22" screen.

I don't know where you will be shopping but I can link a couple of psu's from newegg. Maybe you can find them at your vendor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You want to stick with these three brands if you can. They are the best quality and have the most stable power with less fluctuation. There are some good ones in other brands too, but the guys on here will usually only suggest these brands.

Try to stay between 600 and 700 watts and you will have enough to sli or crossfire your gpu's later if you choose. You could go slightly larger but there is really no need, but I wouldn't go much smaller if you intend to eventually go with 2 gpu's

It is a shame you cant get an ssd, and if you find a way, get a 120g sataIII

I would get that only and wait for a hard drive for backup and data later if it were me.

I would also make sure if you do get an ssd that it has a sandforce controller as they seem to outperform others.

As far as your hard drive, all of the ones you listed are good. Just make sure that they are sataIII and 7200rpm and try to get as large of a buffer as you can. The buffer is not as important, but you dont want an 8mb cache. Make sure it is at least 16mb cache.

Your Gigabyte board should have some software to make overclocking simple, and if you plan to o.c. then yes you will need after market cooler. There are quite a few available and here are a couple that are good.
The first one I linked is by far the most popular because it works well and is low cost. The other I just list because I know they are good,even tho they may cost a little more.

There are many choices and other people will probably give you more choices to check out. I don't suggest water cooling because in my opinion, water and electronics dont mix. It can work well, but it can also ruin every thing in your box if you spring a leak.

Yes , you will want to use an hdmi cable if your tv has it. If not, make sure you use dvi and not vga. Your image will be better.

You should not have to unplug your cable to watch tv, if you have it configured correctly I believe your tv remote should have an function control where you choose input, like vcr,dvd,aux. I believe if I am not mistaken that your pc input would be auxiliary, but read your manuals well for both your mobo and your tv as well as graphics card if you have any instructions with it..
March 19, 2012 7:32:43 PM

OMG your a life saver. Thank you so much
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 7:33:14 PM

Best answer selected by s33dz.
m
l
March 19, 2012 7:54:59 PM

s33dz said:
OMG your a life saver. Thank you so much

Thanx for the best answer s33dz, in all fairness tho there were none other to chose from lol.

A couple of other guys may have eventually given you a clearer answer about the use of the tv for a monitor and maybe some other suggestions as well.

Its all good tho. Just let us know if you have any more questions and give us a list of your final parts list.

Good luck with your build!!!

rmiii asked me to thank you for him as he is out of town for a couple of days. I texted him and told him you had picked his answer...lol

That is why I extended thanx to you! :hello: 
m
l
!