Sign in with
Your question

Monitor goes off after startup, computer locks up.

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2012 9:19:01 AM

Hi I'm new to this but here's my problem, I just rebuilt a system from parts I had in stock, specs are intel pentium d 3.4 Ghz, Msi Mobo, 2x GeForce 7950 GX2 Cards (4 512mb cards on 2 PCI E slots), 2x lite on DVD R drives, 750Gb hdd windows 7 64 bit ultimate.
The system boots up fine 75% of the time but sometimes after the starting windows screen goes off the monitor goes into sleep mode and the computer freezes the only way to restart is with the reset button as the keyboard locks out and Carl alt del doesn't work.
I was wondering if I.t could be a psu problem but as I haven't got a spare unable to test, I have a 750w psu but as far as I'm aware the graphics cards can pull up to 75w each, still leaving 600w for everything else which Im certain should be enough. Anyone got any ideas :( 
My problem with this theory is why does it sometimes work, all drivers are correct and there are no conflicts in device manager.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 19, 2012 2:26:32 PM

Eddthehead said:
Hi I'm new to this but here's my problem, I just rebuilt a system from parts I had in stock, specs are intel pentium d 3.4 Ghz, Msi Mobo, 2x GeForce 7950 GX2 Cards (4 512mb cards on 2 PCI E slots), 2x lite on DVD R drives, 750Gb hdd windows 7 64 bit ultimate.
The system boots up fine 75% of the time but sometimes after the starting windows screen goes off the monitor goes into sleep mode and the computer freezes the only way to restart is with the reset button as the keyboard locks out and Carl alt del doesn't work.
I was wondering if I.t could be a psu problem but as I haven't got a spare unable to test, I have a 750w psu but as far as I'm aware the graphics cards can pull up to 75w each, still leaving 600w for everything else which Im certain should be enough. Anyone got any ideas :( 
My problem with this theory is why does it sometimes work, all drivers are correct and there are no conflicts in device manager.

1st thought: disable hibernate in windows 7.
March 19, 2012 3:06:55 PM

Hi, already disabled hibernate, all screen savers etc, it is as if after boot up and the starting windows screen the monitor is no longer receiving a signal and thinks the system is off although it is still on, but frozen and unable to be restarted with the keyboard.
Just seems strange how some time it works and other it doesn't, I would suspect faulty hardware would either work or not not be intermittent. Thanks for the suggestion though.....
May 7, 2012 8:20:42 AM

Hi all, problem solved, I simply put in a new CMOS battery, doh........
!