Subotai07

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello,
I have a old Compaq sr2170nx and was looking to find a video card to help with performance issues. Since the latest BIOS is 07/2007, I was wondering which video cards would work in my old system?????

thespieler

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Just check what slots you have available on the motherboard, along with the powersupply wattage, and choose a card that fits the specs. I see you have a16x pci e, so you are really only limited by your powersupply. with a computer like that, I wouldnt go too crazy with the graphics card, either your cpu will bottleneck you or you wont have enough juice, so choose wisely.

Well after looking at the Specs, your computer won't do much good upgrading if you going to game or have multiple browsers open( Exaggerating) well with only a max of 2 gigs of rams to have for it. You must be careful on what you do on it. But if i were you id maybe get a Nice 450 or 500 watt psu and get either a GTS 450 or one of the ATI cards at the same specs or performance level. Sorry for throwing fire on your system. I know a girl that had about the same system and it only came with 512mb of ddr1 or 2 memory. if you wanted to open up a application on Windows XP you could click on it and got cook, eat and do the dishes and it could still be loading at times. I respect people that build on a budget and get by with they're computers. Its hard to afford things for some people

Subotai07

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Thanks... Spieler,
I have already went to the max with my memory to 2 Gb... I got a 24" display for xmas and can't go full screen with the onboard video. I am checking out video cards and saw that unless I could upgrade my BIOS that my board wouldn't use a PCIE 2.0 or newer so figured I would check some forums. I have found several PCIE X16 cards but most are only 256 Mb and was worried about getting to use my full display...
Thanks again.....

Subotai07

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I already checked and even if I went to the Presler processor I can only go 2 Gb for the memory with the BIOS upgrade...
I keep this older system just to play some older games and software that won't run on the newer systems...

Subotai07

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I can get a 600 watt P/S and a 1Gb Pcie X16 2.0 video card combo from Newegg for $50.00... And I already checked Craigslist here in Iowa and the pickings are slim...
I know where you are coming from and I agree with most of the suggestions I have got and I do appreciate the input... But it looks like I might gut the system and have some fun.....
I could even look at some barebone systems or a basket case... Thanks for the input.......

Just a video card won't do much for slowness, unless you are running older games that were out when the P4 was new. A PSU and video card for $50 will be crap. Just a decent power supply should be $50 or so. I would not spend $50 on that PC unless you also upgrade the RAM and CPU.

Any video card that needs a power supply upgrade to run will be well over the rest of your system, and any video card worth getting to move to a newer system is about $ 60-70 just for the card.

Subotai07

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
When I first thought of upgrading the system... I checked the board manufacturer and found out the board would accept the Presler CPU. But everything I have been able to find on the board says it has a max of 2Gb and doesn't mention which processor, just the board. Is there a site besides HP that I could find more info on this board... The Presler CPU is only 40.00 on Newegg and the memory can't be that much.

Thanks again hang-the-9

Subotai07

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
One thing I should add... I found a Lenovo for 320.00 and considering I found two older computers for about 250.00 in Cedar Rapids(older than the one I have now). Pickings in Iowa really suck.....

A dual-core used PC should not be 250, maybe a quad core, or one with a good video card already in it. Keep looking :)

For the CPU, Compaq states it will take up to a Pentium D, which is OK but not great. Uses up a lot of power, and can get hot. If you are limited to 2 gig of RAM, probably not worth it looking for an upgrade for the current PC. If the video is really bad, get a $30 video card, but that is pretty much a loss of $30 as it would not be very good in a modern PC for games at least.

Subotai07

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I don't think its a dual-core... His description was Pentium system 1.8 GHz processor upgraded to 1 Gb ram and 80 Gb harddrive...

I use to go to ham-fests when I lived in Ohio years ago... I just like to keep playing with stuff to keep it alive.....

I even found a All-in-one for 379.00 and it was a i3 with 4 Gb ram and 500 Gb HD... Decisions, decisions.....

Well a i3 is probably gonna perform if not better than a Pentium, even tho the i3 is a dual core and more pentiums were quad cores. you can get a i3 thats clocked stock 2 times that 1.8 ghz is. but you won't be able to change parts around much at all other wise you loose your windows 7.....unless you call microsoft and then you can re-install it. but eh, that all in one is a good deal. depending on the vid chip idk what games you play but im sure it could handle wow or maybe team fortress. but not many modern games

A P4 system with 1 gig and 80 gig drive should be under $100.

All-in-one PC, if you can upgrade the video card it in if you want to use for games, maybe worth it. But those usually are limited to a small form card and you can't swap out the power supply easily if at all.

Look for a dual-core + regular tower PC.