Fastest setup of U160 15k harddrive...

I'm going to run only on OS Windows ME on my gaming machine.

I have a Seagate X15 18,4GB U160 15k drive that I want to setup for utmost performance.

Space is of no concern only performance.
The machine will only be used for games and nothing else.

Any input appreciated!

/J

AMD TBIRD 1.33
Vapochill
Nivida Geoforce3
Apacer 256MB DDR PC2100
Seagate XP15 15k
5 answers Last reply
More about fastest setup u160 harddrive
  1. don't use ME is my only comment.

What are you going to run are you looking for fastest game performance or fasted CAD performance or what?

I often wonder why HDD is SO required to be fast? Most people don't use and don't require fast access to disk.

Concentrate on meomory, cpu, mobo and video card - it will likely have much better impact on performance that you can see.

If you are building a server or realtime system - then excuse me - if you want fast games, a 15k scsi disk is not going to give you much benefit over a uata IBM HDD - except it will be smaller and 2x cost.

-* This Space For Rent *-
    email for application details
  2. "don't use ME is my only comment."

Care to explain in a bit more detail..? :)

"What are you going to run are you looking for fastest game performance or fasted CAD performance or what?"

As I stated:
    "I'm going to run only on OS Windows ME on my GAMING machine."
    "The machine will only be used for GAMES and nothing else."

HDD not important??! I wouldn't like to spend my entire youth waiting for my gamez to load, now would I..? ;)
    Seriously, I got the best(?) of everything else, why would I cheap out when it comes to the harddrive...

/J

AMD TBIRD 1.33
    Asus A7M266
    Vapochill
    nVida Geoforce3
    Apacer 256MB DDR266
    Seagate X15
  3. The new ata100 ide drives will give you ~35MB/s sustained transfer rate. The scsi drives you are talking about are not that much faster. Where the 15K scsi drives excel is in random access in an environment such as a database server.

For high performance, you want multiple disk drives in a RAID setup. The cost of scsi raid controllers starts at about $1000. Just get two IBM 75GXP with a promise fasttrack100 and run them in a striped raid configuration.

It has been shown many times that win98se is faster in all game benchmarks than winme. It's got less baggage to slow down the system. <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/00q3/000927/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/00q3/000927/index.html</A>

--------
    I have not yet begun to procrastinate.
  4. the x15 transfers up to 48.9MB/s (~40% faster). seek time 3.9ms compared to 8.5ms for the ide drives. seagates new 73GB 10k drive transfers data up to 63.9MB/s (~83% faster) with seek times as low as 4.9ms. with even faster 15k drives out this summer ide drives do not compare. also scsi raid controllers are much less than $1000. atto expressPCI ultra3 raid starts at $280. for high performance ide raid 0 is not necessarily a good thing as seek times increase and the extra transfer rate is not usually necessary. i don't think scsi raid suffers as much from this problem, but i'm not sure. it could be a hardware vs software raid issue as well. it is a seperate question whether games will benefit from these specs however, but please use the relevent and correct info to show this, next time.

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away
  5. Xellent link! Exactly what I was looking for!

That settles it I'll go with Win98SE after all.

Found this link as well:
    http://firingsquad.gamers.com/features/winmeeval/default.asp

Note that much difference in games, but if there were Win98SE were most of the time ahead.

Thanx!

/J

AMD TBIRD 1.33
    Asus A7M266
    Vapochill
    nVida Geoforce3
    Apacer 256MB DDR266
    Seagate X15<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JoacimBoive on 04/19/01 06:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Performance Seagate Storage