New GPU (gigabyte hd6870 oc) is artifacting in desktop

I just recently built a new computer and after I starting it up and installing the latest drivers I noticed that the text and icons on my screen seemed kind of fuzzy but that didn't really bother me much. Then I started testing my graphics card in game and everything seemed to be fine. Then i watched a couple of videos on youtube and once i exited youtube i started getting square artifacts in random places on my screen. This never happens in game but only when im in 2D mode and only once in a while. I tried reinstalling my drivers but nothing seems to work. Can someone help me?

AMD driver version 11.12 catalyst

System:
CPU: Amd phenom II x6 1055t 2.8ghz

Mobo: Asus m5a99x evo

GPU: Gigabyte GV-R687oc-1gd HD 6870

PSU: Corsair enthusiast series tx650 v2

HDD: Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
15 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte hd6870 artifacting desktop
  1. seven7hseal said:
    I just recently built a new computer and after I starting it up and installing the latest drivers I noticed that the text and icons on my screen seemed kind of fuzzy but that didn't really bother me much. Then I started testing my graphics card in game and everything seemed to be fine. Then i watched a couple of videos on youtube and once i exited youtube i started getting square artifacts in random places on my screen. This never happens in game but only when im in 2D mode and only once in a while. I tried reinstalling my drivers but nothing seems to work. Can someone help me?

AMD driver version 11.12 catalyst

System:
    CPU: Amd phenom II x6 1055t 2.8ghz

Mobo: Asus m5a99x evo

GPU: Gigabyte GV-R687oc-1gd HD 6870

PSU: Corsair enthusiast series tx650 v2

HDD: Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm

Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
  2. Turn on vsync? (Don't know if it'll help but try).
  3. that sounds problematic I would RMA the card, try dropping the clocks to that of a stock 6870 and see if it works, honestly some of those gigabyte oc models are know to be very problematic so if its still under warranty I would RMA it, sorry that sounds frustrating

I would have said it might be a psu issue but it looks like you have a solid unit. Do you have another discrete gpu that you can try?
  4. tried and still getting artifacts
  5. jjb8675309 said:
    that sounds problematic I would RMA the card, try dropping the clocks to that of a stock 6870 and see if it works, honestly some of those gigabyte oc models are know to be very problematic so if its still under warranty I would RMA it, sorry that sounds frustrating

I would have said it might be a psu issue but it looks like you have a solid unit. Do you have another discrete gpu that you can try?

would i void the warrenty if i messed with the clocks?
  6. no Ive oc'ed and rma'ed many cards in the past, they will not know if you drop the clocks to where a stock 6870 is
  7. is your card under warranty? if so RMA it( I know it sucks but thats why I build backup rigs in times of need)
  8. I agree that random artifacting, even underclocked, is almost certainly a bad card.
  9. I'm not sure if downclocking would help tho because my graphics card only runs at 300mhz and 500mhz memory when im in my desktop
  10. any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?
  11. does anyone have any experience with gigabytes technical support? I emailed them yesterday and they still haven't replied.
  12. Yes, it sucks. You should call. Did you have issues with the original drivers that came with the install CD?
  13. RMA the card, that is the only option...
  14. mdsiu said:
    Yes, it sucks. You should call. Did you have issues with the original drivers that came with the install CD?

Ya it started with the original drivers. After i installed the newest drivers the artifacts disappeared for a day but then they started appearing again after booting the next morning.
  15. Now i'm starting to get worse artifacts than before. Instead of just small squares im getting big checkered rectangles. i also tried to lower the clocks but it doesn't seem to work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics