Sign in with
Your question

Won't Recognize All of My RAM

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2012 12:04:03 PM

Hi. I am running a MSI 990FXA-GD80 that is capable of running 32gb of RAM. I currently have 12GB of triple channel Patriot installed. It is currently recognizing 8160mb. My OS is 64 bit Vista Ultimate. Can anyone help me understand this? If you need other hardware info it is: Graphics MSI r7770 oc, Power 1200w Thermaltake, Thermaltake watercooling. I think I have it all covered. Thanks for your help.

More about : recognize ram

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
March 19, 2012 12:08:03 PM

Did you check to see if BIOS is seeing the RAM even if Vista isnt?

Try this..

Open start menu and type msconfig

Click the Boot tab

Click the Advanced menu

And see if it is set to maximum memory.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 19, 2012 12:21:31 PM

ok first thing is your board is dual channel memory not triple channel, read page 2-7 in your manual for confirmation.

look in the BIOS to see how much RAM is installed.

just check to make sure all three RAM stick are firmly seated. if that doesn't solve it. one of the stick may be bad.
Related resources
March 19, 2012 12:26:35 PM

Anonymous said:
ok first thing is your board is dual channel memory not triple channel, read page 2-7 in your manual for confirmation.

look in the BIOS to see how much RAM is installed.

just check to make sure all three RAM stick are firmly seated. if that doesn't solve it. one of the stick may be bad.

No AM3 Processors support triple channel. Even so, it should see all of it. I bet its the setting in MSconfig, Its one of the many common annoyances of Vista.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 19, 2012 12:34:20 PM

nekulturny said:
No AM3 Processors support triple channel. Even so, it should see all of it. I bet its the setting in MSconfig, Its one of the many common annoyances of Vista.

check his motherboards manual.
March 19, 2012 12:38:09 PM

Anonymous said:
bulldozer is dual channel only.

It will still see 3 RAM modules installed, or just 1 and still use them. Installing in pairs has not been required since the days of RAMBUS. I don't need to check the manual, I understand Bulldozer likes dual channel, but its not a requirement to function. At least it shouldn't be.

But lol, lets wait for the OP to respond before we debate what the problem could be, lol. We both gave him some important things to check before we go further. :D 
March 19, 2012 12:38:28 PM

check in the bios and make sure the ram is running in single channel mode, since you cant run odd number of ram sticks in dual channel mode the mother board might be disabling 1 stick. although it should automatically revert to single channel mode when 3 ram sticks are installed, its worth checking though.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 19, 2012 12:40:52 PM

nekulturny said:
It will still see 3 RAM modules installed, or just 1 and still use them. Installing in pairs has not been required since the days of RAMBUS. I don't need to check the manual, I understand Bulldozer likes dual channel, but its not a requirement to function. At least it shouldn't be.

i was incorrect with that post, i apologise.
March 19, 2012 12:41:31 PM

Anonymous said:
i was incorrect with that post, i apologise.

NP, lol.. The OP has a couple things to check out before we go further.
March 19, 2012 12:53:04 PM

yap ... can't help but wonder
March 27, 2012 12:36:27 AM

First of all, all of you were great. Thanks! (by the way, he is a she) Bios is reading all 12 gb, so it is just POS Vista.. No worries now though. Gonna install 8 here in the next few days. And my particular AM3+ processor and my FXA990 prefers dual channel but does support not only triple channel, but quad channel as well. Fortunately I am off to Fry's to get the Corsair Vengence (4) 8 gb strips at $115. Thanks again for all of your help.
!