Your question

Looking for some advice on this desktop

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2012 2:42:43 PM

PC Case RT 67 Gaming Black - Included
Case Fan 2 x Quiet 120mm Fans - Included
Case Fan Controller Not Included
Power Supply Coolermaster 500W 1 x PCI-E 120mm Fan - Included
Processor AMD FX 4100 Black Edition, Quad Core (AM3+, 3.60GHz, 8MB Cache) - Included
Heatsink & CPU Fan Standard Heatsink & CPU Fan - Included
Heatsink Paste Standard Heatsink Paste - Included
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M/USB3, 4xDIMM, Max. 16GB, M-ATX ( USB 3.0 ) - Included
Memory 8GB (4 x 2GB) Mushkin PC10600 1333MHz DDR3 - Included
PCI-E Graphics nVidia GTX 560 1GB - Included
Primary Hard Drive 500GB SATA II - Included
Secondary Hard Drive Not Included
RAID Option NO RAID - Included
HDD Noise Dampener Not Included
Main Optical Drive LG Blu Ray Reader & DVD +/- Rewriter (+£50.00)
Secondary Optical Drive Not Included
Memory Card Reader Not Included
Wired Network Adapter Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps - Included
Wireless Network Adapter Not Included
USB Ports 2.0 2 Front + 4 Back Ports - Included
USB Ports 3.0 2 x USB 3.0 Ports (On Back) - Included
Fire Wire Not Included
Sound Card Integrated 7.1 High Definition Channel Audio - Included
TV Tuner Not Included
PC Remote / IR Receiver Not Included
TFT / LED Monitor Not Included
TFT Dead Pixel Check Not Included
Monitor Cable Not Included
Speakers Not Included
Headset Not Included
Webcam Not Included
Projector Not Included
Keyboard Not Included
Mouse Not Included
Keyboard & Mouse Combo Not Included
External Hard Drive Not Included
USB Flash Drive Not Included
Surge Protectors Not Included
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit Version) - Included
Antivirus & Security Software Not Included
Multimedia Software Not Included
Office Software Not Included

This all comes to around £589 this i added the bluray for extra £50, i have a budget around 600-650, would this computer be good for gaming and internet use?

Talking Football Manager and simulation games, i dont use the office softwares anyways.

More about : advice desktop

March 19, 2012 2:50:56 PM

I agree 100% with mjmjpfaff, you will get a much better PC with your money if you build it yourself, you will get less of the crap you don't need and more of what you actually want.

It's quite simple to build a PC, even if you are to afraid I'm sure a friend can help you.
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 2:53:38 PM

Cheers but my friends are as dumb as me when it comes to computers lol, plus the Egg company do they ship to Scotland?
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:02:37 PM

If you're ording from the UK, you'd be better to order from amazon or ebuyer, they have some of the lowest prices i can find.

And if you're worried about not being tech savvy then i assure you that it's much easier to build a computer than you'd first think. There are plenty of guides on toms as well as people willing to answer questions from the simple to the technical.

I really would advise looking into it, you'll save yourself a couple hundred quid or could build a machine much more powerful for a similar price to the above.
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:04:43 PM

I will have a wee look and see what i can do, any advice on what kind of things i would need to make a decent machine?
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:25:44 PM

The weird thing is places like cyberpower can build one for about the same price if not cheaper. This has to make one wonder.....how? The only answer is fast cheap labor with little to no quality control. Or, sheer volume discounts from buying and stocking giant amounts of components. Or both.

I've read way too many horror stories about cyberpower and ibuypc or whatever that other one is. I figured, the chances were great that I would receive it broken, and have to learn how to troubleshoot it myself anyway, so why not just build it?

I googled "how to build a gaming pc" and was overwhelmed with link after link of step by step guides. I read 3 or 4 of them, ordered some parts, and builet it one Saturday morning over coffee. It was a blast, and I have a wicked fast, super high quality controlled PC that I'm very proud of.

So my advice is, be a good googler. Tom's has a great do-it-yourself guide. Just read it, then browse these forums....there's a "review my gaming PC rig" post about once every 15 minutes. Read a few of those, find one that suits your needs, and head over to Amazon.com. I got my entire list of parts shipped from them for about $40 in shipping.

If you decide to order one from cyberpower anyway, do yourself a favor and switch out the power supply you've listed. The one you listed is bottom of the barrel. And to answer your question, yes it is adequate for basic graphic settings games and internet but what we're all saying is that you could do a lot better for the same money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

m
l
!