Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

What GPU is good for this barebones kit?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 13, 2012 9:33:59 PM

Here is the kit:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

It is limited by a few things (such as a mediocre power supply 400w, and only 1 PCIe x16 slot [do i need more?]) What would possibly be the best GPU that i could buy that would work fine with this kit, with no fear of the GPU crashing cause of low power, or anything like that. which GPU would you recommend me?

I was thinking gtx 550 ti, but would it work? what else is there?

More about : gpu good barebones kit

Best solution

a c 92 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 9:42:31 PM
Share

that kit is not good and also the 550 ti is not good either. the cpu is a low clocked 6 core which is not useful in gaming, the psu is horrid.

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detai...
this kit is a lot better for slightly more money.

if you already have that I'd say you should try a 6850 but the psu is really bad. the 550 ti is pretty much a scam since it costs a lot more than it should because of its performance.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 9:49:06 PM

Don't buy that, it's horrible. Keep in mind a generic psu of 400w, does not put out 400w, more like 250-300w, so you would have to replace the psu if you wanted any kind of decent graphics card.

You would be better off with one of those X3 445 barebones they have. It would be faster for games than that slow X6.

Even better.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Since the i3/h61 are very low power, you would be able to get a decent video card and use this 450w psu.

What's your budget for a video card?
Related resources
January 14, 2012 1:28:14 AM

ill go 4 around 120 dollars, give or take a few, 4 my GPU. but i still dont get it,, i thought a hexacore Phenom ii processor would be super fast, but you said no. Y. i probably could replace the PSU if its absolutely necessary, but i was hoping i would get a barebones kit w/ the best processor 4 a cheap price, and the phenom 11 x6 fit the bill. why did u say it was bad? ur telling me the athlon ii x3 would be faster? the i3 would be faster? i always thought a phenom ii hexacore would be better 4 me. please clarify. im srry 4 being such a noobie
January 14, 2012 1:34:53 AM

esrever said:
that kit is not good and also the 550 ti is not good either. the cpu is a low clocked 6 core which is not useful in gaming, the psu is horrid.

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detai...
this kit is a lot better for slightly more money.

if you already have that I'd say you should try a 6850 but the psu is really bad. the 550 ti is pretty much a scam since it costs a lot more than it should because of its performance.


Just asking, how is that kit better? what do u mean its a low clocked hexacore? i searched the processor of ur barebones, and mines. my barebones' processors benchmarks got a higher score, and its a hexacore. how is mines worse? please clarify. im srry 4 being a noob
January 14, 2012 3:04:09 AM

geekapproved said:
Don't buy that, it's horrible. Keep in mind a generic psu of 400w, does not put out 400w, more like 250-300w, so you would have to replace the psu if you wanted any kind of decent graphics card.

You would be better off with one of those X3 445 barebones they have. It would be faster for games than that slow X6.

Even better.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Since the i3/h61 are very low power, you would be able to get a decent video card and use this 450w psu.

What's your budget for a video card?


I found another kit that i could buy, and i like this one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

How do u think this kit compares to the other one? i know that the i3 consumes less power, and this has a 450 watt PSU. its not bad is it? What is the best graphics card that you could recommend me that i could safely use w/ this kit (i mean no fear of power shortage, etc.) disregard budget, i will look into that. What is the best GPU that will work well w/ this kit?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2012 3:16:35 AM

That's the link I gave you.......lol

It would be great for gaming and it's upgradable.

More cores doesn't always mean more performance. Maybe in a few applications but in most cases the i3 is going to beat it.

What is your monitor resolution?

HD6850, HD6870, GTX550ti, GTX560 would be ok with that psu.
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2012 4:36:48 AM

mahin1islam said:
Just asking, how is that kit better? what do u mean its a low clocked hexacore? i searched the processor of ur barebones, and mines. my barebones' processors benchmarks got a higher score, and its a hexacore. how is mines worse? please clarify. im srry 4 being a noob
hex cores aren't used in gaming the 4 core will do just as well or better. the one I suggested had a much better heatsink and mobo to OC your cpu and a better psu so you can get a psu. It also had 8 gb of ram. benchmarks don't mean anything if you look at the gaming performance. Anyways just psu upgrade over the one you had is decent enough.

I'd say this one will actually be able to handle a lower power video card unlike the one you have in your original post.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2012 12:49:10 PM

Esrever's suggestion is a good one too, and upgradable. Can't beat that deal, I'd go with that over the i3.
January 14, 2012 3:51:22 PM

geekapproved said:
That's the link I gave you.......lol

It would be great for gaming and it's upgradable.

More cores doesn't always mean more performance. Maybe in a few applications but in most cases the i3 is going to beat it.

What is your monitor resolution?

HD6850, HD6870, GTX550ti, GTX560 would be ok with that psu.

wow LOL i didnt realize XD
January 14, 2012 4:01:37 PM

esrever said:
hex cores aren't used in gaming the 4 core will do just as well or better. the one I suggested had a much better heatsink and mobo to OC your cpu and a better psu so you can get a psu. It also had 8 gb of ram. benchmarks don't mean anything if you look at the gaming performance. Anyways just psu upgrade over the one you had is decent enough.

I'd say this one will actually be able to handle a lower power video card unlike the one you have in your original post.


so, if i got mines, ad upgraded my psu, then i would be able to put i a good GPU? how much of a differece will there be in the 2 Processors. i said mines was hexacore, and the 4 core one is better 4 gaming. how much better is it? i might doo a couple other multitasking things other than gaming, so if its only a little difference between the 4 core and the 6 core (in gaming performance, that is) then i might as well get the hexacore, right? What are your thoughts on this? Is there a huge difference?

Also, geek approved gave me a different link, to a barebones kit w/ an i3 2100 processor.:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

How does this compare to the link you sent me? geekapproved said he/she (not sure lol) liked urs better, but how does it compare? i thik the i3 would have better gaming performance, but the phenom x4 has the lead of 4 cores for other applications. Is the i3 relly better, or the phenom? and by how much?
January 14, 2012 4:07:33 PM

geekapproved said:
That's the link I gave you.......lol

It would be great for gaming and it's upgradable.

More cores doesn't always mean more performance. Maybe in a few applications but in most cases the i3 is going to beat it.

What is your monitor resolution?

HD6850, HD6870, GTX550ti, GTX560 would be ok with that psu.


my monitor is low res: 1600/900. i usually play lower: 1280/768. if i get a good gpu, i could play 1600/900, but i mainly want to put as many settings up as possible. i dont really care about the money, for i can save up, but i want a barebones kit that can handle the gpu. i would like to thank you 4 those suggestions. now i need to pick the best barebones.
January 14, 2012 4:34:41 PM

geekapproved said:
Esrever's suggestion is a good one too, and upgradable. Can't beat that deal, I'd go with that over the i3.


i just want to get the best one, soo... why do u like that one better? i know that its $20 cheaper, but i thought u said that the i3 was better than the phenom? if the i3 uses very low power, wouldnt that mean i could get a better GPU w/ the i3?

Right now, my mind is edging on getting that phenom barebones kit. Pretty much because everything seems the same, except phenom has 4 cores, over i3's 2 cores. I realize that the i3 is faster 4 games, but ill be doing other stuff also, that a 4 core might help me with. How much better is the i3 on games? is getting the phenom barebones gonna put me a lot behind? i really wanna get that because of price and 4 cores, so wats ur view on this. which one is better?
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2012 6:11:43 PM

the i3 will be faster so It might be worth the money to get that one.
the x4 can be OC'ed a little but even then probably won't be as powerful as the i3. It will be close tho. Idk if its worth the $20 because you'd want as much money as you can to get a gpu.

either one is good.

as for multitasking, all 3 should be more than enough for that. Only time the 6 core really gets ahead is if you do video editing and you are waiting a long time for it. You'd notice very little difference between the 3 in everyday use.

Get which ever one you can and a 6850 for gpu.
January 14, 2012 7:50:02 PM

esrever said:
the i3 will be faster so It might be worth the money to get that one.
the x4 can be OC'ed a little but even then probably won't be as powerful as the i3. It will be close tho. Idk if its worth the $20 because you'd want as much money as you can to get a gpu.

either one is good.

as for multitasking, all 3 should be more than enough for that. Only time the 6 core really gets ahead is if you do video editing and you are waiting a long time for it. You'd notice very little difference between the 3 in everyday use.

Get which ever one you can and a 6850 for gpu.


Ill probably get the x4. its $20 cheaper. according to most, its only a little different in speed, and while the i3 is faster, i could use the quad core in some of the more CPU intensive applications, (like 3d modeling, game making etc.). for GPU, how does the 6850 compare against the GTX 560 superclocked? :
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

im following someone's advice and getting the 560. so, yeahh.
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2012 8:07:40 PM

don't get the 560 as your psu might not be able to handle it.

the 6850 is as much as I'd trust with those psu's. It should be good enough to play all your games max on 1600x900.
January 14, 2012 9:43:40 PM

Best answer selected by mahin1islam.
January 14, 2012 9:45:36 PM

esrever said:
that kit is not good and also the 550 ti is not good either. the cpu is a low clocked 6 core which is not useful in gaming, the psu is horrid.

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detai...
this kit is a lot better for slightly more money.

if you already have that I'd say you should try a 6850 but the psu is really bad. the 550 ti is pretty much a scam since it costs a lot more than it should because of its performance.


Thanks alot for your comments. i will try to get the 6850, because that seems like the right one for me. i will continue this thread in a new thread, because i still need to pick between the 2 barebones kits. thx alot :) 
!