July 3, 2012 3:05:32 AM

Is 600w enough for this build?

CPU Intel Core i7 3820

MB ASRock Extreme-M X79

MSI TWIN FROZ III RADEON 7950

2x4Gigs RAM DDR3 1600 G.Skill RIPJAWS X

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

HDD Seagate Barracuda 500gb

SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST60F-ES 600W or CORSAIR Builder Series CX600. Which one will you recommend? Or I need a bigger power supply? :ouch: 

More about : 600w

a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 3:15:51 AM

600w is good but the builder series is Corsairs bottom line what bothers me about the builders series is that it says 600w but is only capable of 480, and I was told not to buy Silverstone PSU's just the other day, I just bought a new psu and the one I bought is sold out on newegg and tiger direct already but I came very close to buying this one instead of it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 3:30:12 AM

Either PSU will do just fine with the setup you listed, but you wouldn't be able to ad another graphics card down the line. If you're considering Crossfire sometime later on then I'd get a quality 750w unit.
m
l
Related resources
a c 165 ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 3:44:40 AM

mace200200 said:
600w is good but the builder series is Corsairs bottom line what bothers me about the builders series is that it says 600w but is only capable of 480, and I was told not to buy Silverstone PSU's just the other day, I just bought a new psu and the one I bought is sold out on newegg and tiger direct already but I came very close to buying this one instead of it.

silverstone has some of the best PSU on the market.

Summary

Based on the same platform as the ST1000-G, Silverstone's latest 750 watt fully modular offering is nothing short of excellent. It has a couple small things going against it, like those capacitors in the PCI express cables, but it makes up for those by the multitude of things it does right. Ripple suppression is very good, regulation is very good, and you still get a magnetic dust filter to slap on the fan. All this adds up to a power supply that it's very hard to say no to.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

m
l

Best solution

a c 165 ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 3:49:11 AM

majadito said:
Is 600w enough for this build?

CPU Intel Core i7 3820

MB ASRock Extreme-M X79

MSI TWIN FROZ III RADEON 7950

2x4Gigs RAM DDR3 1600 G.Skill RIPJAWS X

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

HDD Seagate Barracuda 500gb

SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST60F-ES 600W or CORSAIR Builder Series CX600. Which one will you recommend? Or I need a bigger power supply? :ouch: 

the AMD 7950 peaks at about 150w so either PSU will do the job just fine. personally I would take the antec neo eco 620w linked below, it s a good PSU for a very good price but either of the units you mentioned will also do the job.
July 3, 2012 5:10:38 AM

ct1615 said:
the AMD 7950 peaks at about 150w so either PSU will do the job just fine. personally I would take the antec neo eco 620w linked below, it s a good PSU for a very good price but either of the units you mentioned will also do the job.

150w playing BF3 maxed out ?!?!?! I've read about 260w in some review as peak power consumption... :??: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 5:16:56 PM

That seasonic is excellent, even though I don't really like more than one rail but for you it'll work out fine that way. Rosewill stuff has never given me problems in the past, however it is cheap so I would not buy one of their PSU's and risk my system.
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 6:54:42 PM

majadito said:
150w playing BF3 maxed out ?!?!?! I've read about 260w in some review as peak power consumption... :??: 

225w maybe in a stress test but not in gaming.

m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 6:56:30 PM

majadito said:
Not thinking on CF later. So you guys are saying that a 80plus Bronze PSU with less wattage will do fine with my build?

maybe one like this:

or this:

Never heard anything about Rosewill PSU anyways... Are they good?

both will do the job with ease. rosewill has some duds but the capstone series has very good reviews
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 6:58:40 PM

mace200200 said:
That seasonic is excellent, even though I don't really like more than one rail but for you it'll work out fine that way. Rosewill stuff has never given me problems in the past, however it is cheap so I would not buy one of their PSU's and risk my system.

the rosewill is $10 less then the seasonic, how is it cheap?

m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 7:10:35 PM

ct1615 said:
the rosewill is $10 less then the seasonic, how is it cheap?

Never had a Rosewill psu I was talking about their other stuff. I love their $4 fans, they don't usually last me more than a year, but they are cheap and I have no money.
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 7:18:33 PM

mace200200 said:
Never had a Rosewill psu I was talking about their other stuff. I love their $4 fans, they don't usually last me more than a year, but they are cheap and I have no money.

their capston series has been very impressive

Summary

With the Capstone 750W unit, Rosewill has become a brand name to take notice of. Gone are the days when the words "house brand" meant something like Deer or Powmax. This unit is efficient, powerful, and extremely well performing. It is as good as almost anything else out there I could name. I do wish it were at least semi-modular, and was a bit cheaper, but that's just about all it has going against it.

The Good:

very good regulation
extremely efficient
solid build quality

The Bad:

a little on the expensive side

The Mediocre:

nothing

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 7:22:44 PM

Rosewill PSUs are either really bad or really good. And, as has been stated, the Capstone series is really good.
m
l
July 3, 2012 11:18:31 PM

What you guys saying is both are very good so I think I'll go for the modular one, the seasonic...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 2:40:49 AM

majadito said:
What you guys saying is both are very good so I think I'll go for the modular one, the seasonic...

Go for it, pretty much nobody is gonna tell you that seasonic isn't a good way to go.
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:23:01 AM

Best answer selected by majadito.
m
l
!