Solved

How Necessary is an audio card?

Audiocard, how important is it? How easy is it to install after a PC is already built?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about audio card
  1. lots of people say they're not needed but if you want better sound, toss one in. you'll need to know what kind of expansion slot you can put one in ( and have room for ) pci-e 1x/pci/pci-e 4x-8x, etc.
    Kinda like putting your speakers on a more powerful amp compared to on board sound.
  2. So if i'm using a headset most of the time, will the audio card really matter?
  3. Best answer
    There's little reason with the modern onboard sound to get a sound card - it does very little unless you're a fairly picky audiophile.

The only reasons I would install one:
    1. I got it for free (which actually is the case for me, I got a good one free)
    2. I had a specific need for a certain type of input/output that only the sound card could provide.

You're unlikely to hear any difference unless you have a crazy speaker setup (THX certified and beyond) and are a careful listener/have good hearing.

That said, they are very easy to install if you've ever opened a PC (provided you have an open slot..and it's not a small form factor PC).
  4. Kermheat said:
    So if i'm using a headset most of the time, will the audio card really matter?

No, not at all.
  5. Best answer selected by kermheat.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Audio Components