How Necessary is an audio card?

Solution
There's little reason with the modern onboard sound to get a sound card - it does very little unless you're a fairly picky audiophile.

The only reasons I would install one:
1. I got it for free (which actually is the case for me, I got a good one free)
2. I had a specific need for a certain type of input/output that only the sound card could provide.

You're unlikely to hear any difference unless you have a crazy speaker setup (THX certified and beyond) and are a careful listener/have good hearing.

That said, they are very easy to install if you've ever opened a PC (provided you have an open slot..and it's not a small form factor PC).
lots of people say they're not needed but if you want better sound, toss one in. you'll need to know what kind of expansion slot you can put one in ( and have room for ) pci-e 1x/pci/pci-e 4x-8x, etc.
Kinda like putting your speakers on a more powerful amp compared to on board sound.

inanition02

Distinguished
There's little reason with the modern onboard sound to get a sound card - it does very little unless you're a fairly picky audiophile.

The only reasons I would install one:
1. I got it for free (which actually is the case for me, I got a good one free)
2. I had a specific need for a certain type of input/output that only the sound card could provide.

You're unlikely to hear any difference unless you have a crazy speaker setup (THX certified and beyond) and are a careful listener/have good hearing.

That said, they are very easy to install if you've ever opened a PC (provided you have an open slot..and it's not a small form factor PC).

Solution