KVM and blurry video

csebasti

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
I just built a new desktop, and also bought a KVM switch for for use with my desktop and a laptop. I have two monitors, and have the smaller of the two running through the KVM switch. When I do this, the video is pretty blurry when the KVM is switched to the desktop, but when switching the KVM to the laptop, the screen is crystal clear. If I skip the KVM and plug the monitor directly into my desktop, it is crystal clear. And if I swap the KVM cables between computers, I get the same problem: the monitor is only blurry when switched to the desktop.

Is there any hope of fixing this? Is it my setup? Should I try a different KVM?

Here are some details that might be of help:
The KVM is an IOGEAR GCS72U 2-Port USB Cable KVM Switch with Audio The specs on this say it can handle 2048 x 1536.

The desktop has no video card. I'm using the integrated graphics in an i7 3770k processor. It is driving two Dell monitors: 2007FP (1600x1200) and 1707FP (1280x1024). The smaller one is going through the KVM.

The laptop is an old Dell Latitude D630. Display is 1280x800

csebasti

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
I just switched the two monitors. One thing I forgot to mention, is that the 2007FP is connected via DVI, and the 1707FP is connected via D-sub. The KVM switch is a D-sub switch. So, I swapped the connections at the monitor end.

With the 2007FP running through the KVM, it looks better than the 1707FP did when it was through the KVM, but not as clear as it did when it was direct to the computer. The 1707FP looks nice and sharp direct to the computer.

I believe both the monitors, the 200FP and the 1707FP have D-SUB connectors on them.
Instead of using any sort of adapter connect them both one at a time to the KVM using a single preferably the same D-SUB cable. And check and see if there is a variation.

csebasti

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Yes, they do both have D-SUB connectors. They both also have DVI connectors.

The original setup was:
Desktop --> DVI cable --> 2007FP
Desktop --> D-SUB --> KVM --> D-SUB -->1707FP
Laptop --> D-SUB --> KVM --> D-SUB -->1707FP

Yesterday I tried swapping and did this:
Desktop --> DVI cable --> 1707FP
Desktop --> D-SUB --> KVM --> D-SUB -->2007FP
I did not use any DVI - D-SUB adapters.

So that should be the configuration you are suggesting. The fuzziness definitely was reduced, but still didn't look quite right.

See, I'm using a KVM from Belkin between 2 of my rigs. One has a DVI output and the other has a VGA output. So to connect the DVI to the KVM I use a DVI to VGA adapter, I got with the XFX 9600GT card. In the beginning I used to have this slight desktop placement problem, the monitor used to start it's auto image adjust function and get the placement correct.
I'd suggest if you have a similar function to let the monitor automatically adjust itself, let it use it and see if it makes a difference.