Can't get newly built pc to BIOS

Firstly, I've gone through the list stickied and nothing seems out of place. I haven't been able to find this problem via searching either.

Starting the PC, there is the single post beep, and a black screen a couple of times, just for a second. Then it comes up with

Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter – BIOS version 1.0.0.0022
PCIe x1 5.0Gbps
Adapter 1 Disks Information: AHCI Mode
No Hard Disk Detected!

Then, it goes to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

So, there seems to be a lack of a motherboard screen. Now, of note, I am plugged in via hdmi cable from video card to a television, I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe it's slower to respond and so simply doesn't show that screen in time, but I don't know.

The button to press for BIOS is "del" says the manual, tried both the "Delete" key and the "Del" key at varying times and varying intervals, and it doesn't ever take me to the BIOS, sometimes it will go to a black screen instead of the "Reboot and Select" menu though.

The aim is to get to the BIOS so that I can change the boot priority to usb so that I can install Windows 7.

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Socket 1155 DVI VGA HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express, AMD CrossFireX Technology)
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 XMS3 8GB Desktop Memory
WD 1TB Caviar Green 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 64MB Cache

From my external build, this screen briefly came up. http://gyazo.com/f592c0d1d22280cac5ead0ea0b1173cf.png?1332185870 This can be recreated if I unplug the HDD and the keyboard.

Thanks
27 answers Last reply
More about newly built bios
  1. What happens when you press F1's key?
    Do you have a ps2 keyboard available?
  2. Sometimes, you can press the Esc key to bypass the Marvel controller.
  3. Nothing different from pressing nothing, and I do not.
  4. Is it a previously used drive or a brand new one?

    may be linked to USB 3.0?

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100615115610625&board_id=1&model=U3S6&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    Try a different USB port
  5. That still appears even when there are no USD devices, and the HDD is new. I believe that the HDD shouldn't be detected though, as there's nothing to detect yet.
  6. Disable marvell controller in BIOS and use the intel sata ports.
  7. egilbe said:
    Disable marvell controller in BIOS and use the intel sata ports.

    My problem is that I can't access BIOS.
  8. Intel® Z68 chipset :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
    Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    Support Intel® Smart Response Technology on 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family
    Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *3
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue
    JMicron® JMB362 controller : *3
    1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red
  9. Moonkin said:
    My problem is that I can't access BIOS.


    delete key not working? or f10?
  10. Depending on the BIOS version it looks like the USB keyboard may not work. This was fixed with this rev/ of the BIOS and higher P8Z68-V PRO 0706 BIOS. My guess is you probably need a PS/2 keyboard to update your BIOS and then you should be set.
  11. egilbe said:
    delete key not working? or f10?

    Nope, the manual says "delete" and "del", so those are mainly the ones I've tried. F1 / F10 haven't worked either though.
  12. kamel5547 said:
    Depending on the BIOS version it looks like the USB keyboard may not work. This was fixed with this rev/ of the BIOS and higher P8Z68-V PRO 0706 BIOS. My guess is you probably need a PS/2 keyboard to update your BIOS and then you should be set.

    Ah, the computer responds to "press a key" and Ctrl, Alt, Del to restart from the keyboard.
  13. My advice would be to track down and connect a ps/2 keyboard if you can, then connect only the CPU (and cooler), RAM, and GPU. Those are the only items necessary to get any computer to POST.

    If you have success there then try switching back to the USB keyboard without connecting anything else. If that gives you a "Keyboard not found" error then switch back to the ps/2 keyboard, check your BIOS version and update it if possible. Switch back to the USB keyboard again after the BIOS update and see if you can still POST.

    If that gets you able to POST with the USB keyboard then go ahead and connect everything else and try to proceed with your Win7 installation.

    Additionally, you might consider turning off the "Quick Boot" option or enabling "extended tests" in BIOS as your BIOS could simply be loading too quickly for your monitor to wake up and display it.
  14. Okay, so what kind of connection does a ps/2 keyboard use that mine doesn't? Or is the issue something else?

    Without access to one, are there any other options?

    Also, is the issue definitely that, as the computer does response to the keyboard, just not regarding access to BIOS.

    Thanks
  15. Do you have it hooked up to the Marvel controller?
    Try different SATA ports.
  16. danny2000 said:
    Do you have it hooked up to the Marvel controller?
    Try different SATA ports.

    I did have, but I read there was no need to, so I changed it from the white cable in the navy blue port to the black cable in the light blue port. However, the screen still comes up.
  17. Moonkin said:
    Okay, so what kind of connection does a ps/2 keyboard use that mine doesn't? Or is the issue something else?

    Without access to one, are there any other options?

    Also, is the issue definitely that, as the computer does response to the keyboard, just not regarding access to BIOS.

    Thanks


    ps/2 connecter is the round 9 pin connector on your mobo ports. It should be near the USB ports. I noticed on my last two mobos I bought, there is only one ps/2 connecter and it's marked for a keyboard.

    I'm not sure why you can't download the newest bios flash, load it to a USB drive and boot from that. At least it will get you past the keyboard limitation.
  18. egilbe said:
    ps/2 connecter is the round 9 pin connector on your mobo ports. It should be near the USB ports. I noticed on my last two mobos I bought, there is only one ps/2 connecter and it's marked for a keyboard.

    I'm not sure why you can't download the newest bios flash, load it to a USB drive and boot from that. At least it will get you past the keyboard limitation.

    I don't think there is one - http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/KDh9nqBoiqs2jqua/product_overview.jpg

    I thought that I had to get to BIOS to be able to boot from USB though.
  19. Moonkin said:
    I don't think there is one - http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/KDh9nqBoiqs2jqua/product_overview.jpg

    I thought that I had to get to BIOS to be able to boot from USB though.


    No, it posts and boots from USB (used to be able to use a floppy drive) and flashes your BIOS. And no, that board doesn't have a ps/2 connector.
  20. Ah, okays.
  21. Found a troubleshooting guide on ASUS' website, think it's all working now. Thanks for the help.
  22. Sorry, accidental double post.
  23. Sadly, the problem isn't yet fixed. Clearance of CMOS results in a single instance of the BIOS menu loading, where it asks you to press F1 to setup, upon pressing that, the screen goes black. Eventally, the PC resets and we're back to where we were.

    Tried <Alt> + <F2> as that's apparently how you're supposed to update the BIOS, but it didn't work.

    I thought this wasn't important, but in case it is, the motherboard is ex-display.
  24. Moonkin said:
    Sadly, the problem isn't yet fixed. Clearance of CMOS results in a single instance of the BIOS menu loading, where it asks you to press F1 to setup, upon pressing that, the screen goes black. Eventally, the PC resets and we're back to where we were.

    Tried <Alt> + <F2> as that's apparently how you're supposed to update the BIOS, but it didn't work.

    I thought this wasn't important, but in case it is, the motherboard is ex-display.


    Can you RMA this thing?
  25. Well, I can return it if I have to, but I really don't want it to have to come to that.
  26. What steps did you take on the ASUS trouble shooting guide? Were you able to identify the root cause of the problem, what what is the current exact state of the PC?
  27. I called the seller today and a tech guy identified the problem as the monitor, which seemed logical, and it turns out that it was that. So, no problem anymore, as it's all up and running.

    Thanks for the help.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems