Can't get newly built pc to BIOS

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Firstly, I've gone through the list stickied and nothing seems out of place. I haven't been able to find this problem via searching either.

Starting the PC, there is the single post beep, and a black screen a couple of times, just for a second. Then it comes up with

Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter – BIOS version 1.0.0.0022
PCIe x1 5.0Gbps
Adapter 1 Disks Information: AHCI Mode
No Hard Disk Detected!

Then, it goes to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

So, there seems to be a lack of a motherboard screen. Now, of note, I am plugged in via hdmi cable from video card to a television, I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe it's slower to respond and so simply doesn't show that screen in time, but I don't know.

The button to press for BIOS is "del" says the manual, tried both the "Delete" key and the "Del" key at varying times and varying intervals, and it doesn't ever take me to the BIOS, sometimes it will go to a black screen instead of the "Reboot and Select" menu though.

The aim is to get to the BIOS so that I can change the boot priority to usb so that I can install Windows 7.

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Socket 1155 DVI VGA HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express, AMD CrossFireX Technology)
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 XMS3 8GB Desktop Memory
WD 1TB Caviar Green 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 64MB Cache

From my external build, this screen briefly came up. http://gyazo.com/f592c0d1d22280cac5ead0ea0b1173cf.png?1332185870 This can be recreated if I unplug the HDD and the keyboard.

Thanks

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
That still appears even when there are no USD devices, and the HDD is new. I believe that the HDD shouldn't be detected though, as there's nothing to detect yet.

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012

My problem is that I can't access BIOS.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Intel® Z68 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Support Intel® Smart Response Technology on 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family
Marvell® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *3
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue
JMicron® JMB362 controller : *3
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), red

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Depending on the BIOS version it looks like the USB keyboard may not work. This was fixed with this rev/ of the BIOS and higher P8Z68-V PRO 0706 BIOS. My guess is you probably need a PS/2 keyboard to update your BIOS and then you should be set.

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012

Nope, the manual says "delete" and "del", so those are mainly the ones I've tried. F1 / F10 haven't worked either though.

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012

Ah, the computer responds to "press a key" and Ctrl, Alt, Del to restart from the keyboard.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
My advice would be to track down and connect a ps/2 keyboard if you can, then connect only the CPU (and cooler), RAM, and GPU. Those are the only items necessary to get any computer to POST.

If you have success there then try switching back to the USB keyboard without connecting anything else. If that gives you a "Keyboard not found" error then switch back to the ps/2 keyboard, check your BIOS version and update it if possible. Switch back to the USB keyboard again after the BIOS update and see if you can still POST.

If that gets you able to POST with the USB keyboard then go ahead and connect everything else and try to proceed with your Win7 installation.

Additionally, you might consider turning off the "Quick Boot" option or enabling "extended tests" in BIOS as your BIOS could simply be loading too quickly for your monitor to wake up and display it.

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Okay, so what kind of connection does a ps/2 keyboard use that mine doesn't? Or is the issue something else?

Without access to one, are there any other options?

Also, is the issue definitely that, as the computer does response to the keyboard, just not regarding access to BIOS.

Thanks

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012

I did have, but I read there was no need to, so I changed it from the white cable in the navy blue port to the black cable in the light blue port. However, the screen still comes up.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

ps/2 connecter is the round 9 pin connector on your mobo ports. It should be near the USB ports. I noticed on my last two mobos I bought, there is only one ps/2 connecter and it's marked for a keyboard.

I'm not sure why you can't download the newest bios flash, load it to a USB drive and boot from that. At least it will get you past the keyboard limitation.

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012

I don't think there is one - http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/KDh9nqBoiqs2jqua/product_overview.jpg

I thought that I had to get to BIOS to be able to boot from USB though.

Moonkin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Sadly, the problem isn't yet fixed. Clearance of CMOS results in a single instance of the BIOS menu loading, where it asks you to press F1 to setup, upon pressing that, the screen goes black. Eventally, the PC resets and we're back to where we were.

Tried <Alt> + <F2> as that's apparently how you're supposed to update the BIOS, but it didn't work.

I thought this wasn't important, but in case it is, the motherboard is ex-display.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Can you RMA this thing?