What's causing my camera to streak?

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 9, 2005 12:21:31 AM

For some months now, my Canon PowerShot A70 (which I love) has
been increasingly showing the odd symptom you can see here:

http://www.wintertime.com/OH/142_4279.JPG

For those who don't want to take time to look at the photo, it's
a black background with random dark-pink streaks. There's no image
of the original subject that was in the viewfinder at the time.

The problem seems worse in low-light conditions, but can appear
at other times, too. I've also been seeing some faint white streaks
in low-light conditions, but if they're affecting the captured image,
they're very subtle and I haven't been able to get an example of them
to post yet.

If it hit the camera with my hand, the streak problem usually goes away
and the normal LCD window image appears. Recently, however, sometimes
when I hit the camera, the viewscreen goes completely black. :-( I was
going to take the camera to a nearby photo store that I trust yesterday,
but I discovered that they closed a few months ago...So I'm hoping that
someone here might have some ideas to get me going while I think about
where else I could take it for knowledgeable repair (if it's repairable).

Thanks!
Patty

More about : causing camera streak

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:21:32 AM

Patty Winter wrote:
> For some months now, my Canon PowerShot A70 (which I love) has
> been increasingly showing the odd symptom you can see here:
>
> http://www.wintertime.com/OH/142_4279.JPG
>
> For those who don't want to take time to look at the photo, it's
> a black background with random dark-pink streaks. There's no image
> of the original subject that was in the viewfinder at the time.
>
> The problem seems worse in low-light conditions, but can appear
> at other times, too. I've also been seeing some faint white streaks
> in low-light conditions, but if they're affecting the captured image,
> they're very subtle and I haven't been able to get an example of them
> to post yet.
>
> If it hit the camera with my hand, the streak problem usually goes away
> and the normal LCD window image appears. Recently, however, sometimes
> when I hit the camera, the viewscreen goes completely black. :-( I was
> going to take the camera to a nearby photo store that I trust yesterday,
> but I discovered that they closed a few months ago...So I'm hoping that
> someone here might have some ideas to get me going while I think about
> where else I could take it for knowledgeable repair (if it's repairable).
>

> Thanks!
> Patty

interesting effect.

it looks like the sensers been burned, but if when you "hit" the camera
and it then goes away, i'd say it's something else. you can probably
contact canon and have them take a look at it. might be something loose
w/i the housing that's causing the senser to see ghosts. maybe presure
on the inside of the casing that leaning into the senser or something
simple like that. (like when you press a finger against a laptop screen)
i'd stear away from continuing to hit the camera though as you may
inadvertently making the condition worse.

canon will probably charge you a fee to look at the cam if the warranty
has expired, plus parts/service charges, plus shipping if you don't have
a certified tech in your area.

good luck w/ it.
cheers
kat
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:21:32 AM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:21:31 GMT, patty1@wintertime.com (Patty Winter)
wrote:

>For some months now, my Canon PowerShot A70 (which I love) has
>been increasingly showing the odd symptom you can see here:
>
>http://www.wintertime.com/OH/142_4279.JPG
>
>For those who don't want to take time to look at the photo, it's
>a black background with random dark-pink streaks. There's no image
>of the original subject that was in the viewfinder at the time.
>
>The problem seems worse in low-light conditions, but can appear
>at other times, too. I've also been seeing some faint white streaks
>in low-light conditions, but if they're affecting the captured image,
>they're very subtle and I haven't been able to get an example of them
>to post yet.
>
>If it hit the camera with my hand, the streak problem usually goes away
>and the normal LCD window image appears. Recently, however, sometimes
>when I hit the camera, the viewscreen goes completely black. :-( I was
>going to take the camera to a nearby photo store that I trust yesterday,
>but I discovered that they closed a few months ago...So I'm hoping that
>someone here might have some ideas to get me going while I think about
>where else I could take it for knowledgeable repair (if it's repairable).
>

>Thanks!
>Patty

The symptoms you describe seem to indicate a loose connection
somewhere.
It could e a bad solder joint, or a bad connector somewhere.
Good luck!

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:21:31 GMT, Patty Winter wrote:

> If it hit the camera with my hand, the streak problem usually goes away
> and the normal LCD window image appears. Recently, however, sometimes
> when I hit the camera, the viewscreen goes completely black. :-( I was
> going to take the camera to a nearby photo store that I trust yesterday,
> but I discovered that they closed a few months ago...So I'm hoping that
> someone here might have some ideas to get me going while I think about
> where else I could take it for knowledgeable repair (if it's repairable).

That sure sounds like a poor electrical connection is being made
somewhere. Normally, a little contact cleaner sprayed on
connections solves problems like that. But not with cameras, as
it's really difficult getting to what would need cleaning. You'd
probably need someone really competent with camera repairs to open
it up, as doing it yourself is likely to really damage the camera.
Is the camera kept in a harsh environment, such as in a town or city
with highly polluted air, near salt water, in a home with lots of
tobacco smoke, or near a kitchen?
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:56:54 AM

Probably all those old Ray Stevens records its been listening to.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:48:06 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. A bad electrical connection
does seem likely. I'll try to find an authorized Canon repair shop
to look at it.

Patty
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:13:43 AM

In message <d8803m$8e8$1@bolt.sonic.net>,
patty1@wintertime.com (Patty Winter) wrote:

>Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. A bad electrical connection
>does seem likely. I'll try to find an authorized Canon repair shop
>to look at it.

It will probably cost you almost as much as buying a brand-new A510.
--

John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
!