Gamer Dad getting back in the game! Need advice

chayes

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
So my friends are getting me into Diablo 3 / Guild Wars 2.

I am looking at putting a new rig together.

What I am currently am looking at is:

1. i52500k CPU and compatible mobo
2. 8gb DDR3
3. 60 gb SSD
4. Nvidia GTX 550ti or 560
5. Reusing an optical drive
6. Reusing a 680 watt PSU
7. Reusing a 750gb and 500gb HDD
8. Buying an Antec 300 case.

What I am wondering is if the PSU will be enough to power the system.

I am also wondering which video card which would be better to power the display on a 37 in. tv.

I will be using my TV as the monitor and was hoping to play in 1080p res at a decent 40-50 fps.

chayes

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, HTPC

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Open

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Here is the link to my build: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14813094

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

PS is more than enough to power a 570 or 580 if it is a decent brand. You want to check how many watts are available on the 12V rail, but a 560 isn't going to dent it. New optical drive is <$20. Nvidia has new cards coming out in <month (rumor some this week), so you may want to at least wait until the 23rd of March if april is too far away and see what happens. The price on the 560ti should drop.

The H67 board cannot be overclocked, I'll defer to others as to what they recommend, I currently have an MSI P67GD55. If you are overclocking you will need a different heatsink for your cpu.

chayes

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I don't care much for overclocking, although I have an after market zimmerman heatsink.

Would it be worthwhile to at least put the basic components of the rig and then buy the graphics card in a month if/when price drops. I really don't need it till diablo 3 in may

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

Sure, as the cpu and mb are the most difficult thing to upgrade afterwards, you can start with those now if you have another graphics card to use in the meantime, or spend 10-20 bucks on something check just to get you by in the meantime. Fyi though, Intel comes out with their Ivy Bridge chips in April, so you may well see the price on the i5's drop further. It depends on how patient you are. If you don't like spending more than you have to, now is definately NOT the time to buy. One month from now, yes. Rumors for IVB are April 8th.

However, an i5 will last you a long, long time, especially since you are not playing the most cpu/graphics intensive two games out there. So if you feel the need to bite the bullet and purchase your base system now, go ahead. Just remember that the P series boards do not support the integrated graphics of the 2500, the H67 does but does not allow overclocking, and the Z68 MAY support integrated graphics output, but some Z68s only support the integrated graphics for accelerated video compression and a couple other things.

Not trying to make it complicated....

TRENDING THREADS