Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Recommend a good amd cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 3, 2012 11:03:14 AM

hi, at the moment i have a amd phenom II 550 black edition and i was wondering what would be a good upgrade within the amd range. thanks

More about : recommend good amd cpu

July 3, 2012 11:20:54 AM

You didn't mentioned any basics like your budget and if its for gaming mostly but

I think the FX 4100 black edition is nice CPU for just about any task.
July 3, 2012 11:23:44 AM

Oh but mind you the socket is no longer AM3 + afaik. You'd need the FX socket.
If you don't wish to update your motherboard, you might be able to find some phenom II CPU's like 1100T 6 core for AM3+ socket.
Related resources
July 3, 2012 11:29:46 AM

FX-8150 Black Edition
July 3, 2012 11:33:43 AM

sorry, i will add some more details. i have a gigabyte 990fx-ud5 motherboard that has a fx socket and i have set aside $400
a c 78 à CPUs
July 3, 2012 7:16:19 PM

What is the primary purpose of this computer? I'd honestly wait til the end of the year for PileDriver FX-8320/8350s to come out regardless. We're close enough to their release that I doubt the the P II 555 is going to be *that* horrible to hold you over til then.
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 7:24:15 PM

I agree with nekulturny but if you utterly super duper have to upgrade get a better phenom II

Quote:
Oh but mind you the socket is no longer AM3 + afaik. You'd need the FX socket.


This is wrong AM3+ is the socket for FX
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 7:49:24 PM

force550 said:
Oh but mind you the socket is no longer AM3 + afaik. You'd need the FX socket.
If you don't wish to update your motherboard, you might be able to find some phenom II CPU's like 1100T 6 core for AM3+ socket.


There is no "FX" Socket. AM3+ is used for all bulldozer (FX) chips. Are you maybe thinking of the FM1 socket that's used for AMD's APU's?
a c 78 à CPUs
July 3, 2012 8:31:38 PM

wr6133 said:
I agree with nekulturny but if you utterly super duper have to upgrade get a better phenom II

Quote:
Oh but mind you the socket is no longer AM3 + afaik. You'd need the FX socket.


This is wrong AM3+ is the socket for FX

Well, just to clear the air on this. A 990FX-UD5 Gigabye board is an AM3+ socket. AM3+ sockets are backward compatible with AM3 (Phenom II/Athlon II), however AM3+ CPUs (Bulldozer aka FX) are not backward compatible with AM3, although I have heard rumors that some mobo manufacturers have done BIOS updates to allow certain AM3 boards to work with Bulldozer, I cannot confirm it, nor would I advise it since AMD doesn't officially support it. However, Bulldozer CPUs will physically fit into the socket of an AM3. AMD has been pretty good to us about giving us backward compatibility options compared to Intel, so I assume if they broke backwards compatibility, they had a good reason for it.

Either way its irrelevant since the OP has an AM3+ board.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 10:46:51 PM
Share

Definitely hold on to your cash and buy an FX8350 later this year, for now you could by an aftermarket cooler and OC your 550, something like a hyper 212 evo will do the job, ive managed a 4.2ghz OC on one of those 550s before.
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 10:57:01 PM

Uther39 said:
Definitely hold on to your cash and buy an FX8350 later this year, for now you could by an aftermarket cooler and OC your 550, something like a hyper 212 evo will do the job, ive managed a 4.2ghz OC on one of those 550s before.

^+1

Definitely try to overclock and/or unlock cores to boost performance for now.

What is the general use of your system? If gaming, what GPU do you have installed?
If you are trying to get better FPS in gaming you might be better off upgrading the GPU now and then the CPU later.
July 4, 2012 12:44:26 AM

maui67 said:
^+1

Definitely try to overclock and/or unlock cores to boost performance for now.

What is the general use of your system? If gaming, what GPU do you have installed?
If you are trying to get better FPS in gaming you might be better off upgrading the GPU now and then the CPU later.


A the moment i am running sli gtx 580's so i think that i should be ok in that department. I know that people have been able to unlock the cores through the bios, however i don't have the option to. Does this mean I have to update the bios?
a c 78 à CPUs
July 4, 2012 12:49:25 AM

I actually had that same mobo you had originally. It died on me after 3 weeks of owning it, which prompted me to get the Sabertooth board. I don't think it supports core unlocking, actually I was pretty disappointed with how basic the BIOS was on that modern $180 board (its still your basic blue screen keyboard only BIOS), pretty disappointing considering what my Saberooth and even dirt cheap Asrocks have in 2012.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 8:06:10 AM

The gigabyte board supports core unlocking its in the advanced settings on the bios
July 8, 2012 1:00:17 AM

Best answer selected by ragnoon.
!