Sign in with
Your question

6850 Crossfire Crysis Stutter/Vram bottleneck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2012 2:24:52 AM

I recently obtained two 6850 1 GB cards, one Sapphire, one just a stock reference card. I swapped my single XFX 6870 2GB card with the new 6850s. I then sold the 6870 to my brother who has an identical rig, so he crossfired the 6870s. Things run really well on my new setup, but Crysis is giving me trouble. Compared to the the Crossfire 6870 2GB cards, my overclocked 1 GB 6850s do a nice job keeping up framerate wise, but I'm getting a lot of what I'm assuming to be micro-stutter (the game says it's running at 50 - 60 FPS, but looks like 20 - 30). With the 6870s it looks really smooth and nice. I play the game completely maxxed with 8X AA at 1080p. I originally bought a 2 GB card to safe, and threads have indicated that 1 GB of vram is all that is necessary at 1080p resolution. So is this stutter caused by a vram bottleneck? I did a driver sweeper reinstall of my ATi drivers which didn't help. My other games have no noticeable stutter issues, and I don't see the stutter much in the Crysis GPU benchmark tool. So do you guys think this is VRAM related, and if so, how many games are going to use well over 1 GB?
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 2:33:46 AM

i think you are suffering from lack of VRAM.games with insane AA/MSAA need more than 1GB.metro 2033,crysis&2 etc.
m
l
January 14, 2012 2:39:01 AM

hellfire24 said:
i think you are suffering from lack of VRAM.games with insane AA/MSAA need more than 1GB.metro 2033,crysis&2 etc.

Yeah I was certainly concerned about that. Do you think I'd be better off just using the single 6870 2GB? I get 50 - 60 FPS with those settings, it's such a waste to need to lower the settings. I might wait to upgrade to 7000 series
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 5:50:22 AM

yeah! upgrading to HD 7000 is your best bet pal.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 6:00:58 AM

lower the Anti-aliasing to 4x, It will be a tiny difference visually, but stuttering may go away if it is caused by Vram problems.
m
l
January 14, 2012 6:48:32 PM

amirp said:
lower the Anti-aliasing to 4x, It will be a tiny difference visually, but stuttering may go away if it is caused by Vram problems.

I turned off AA completely and it certainly helped. To really avoid stutter I had to turn my settings to high. I was playing one of the most intense levels in the game though. I'll probably wait until Kepler and maybe go for an upgrade.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2012 7:54:18 PM

true alright then, I am curious, are you using the Hi-Res textures as well? Have you tried to see what difference that makes?

I am in your situation too with a single 6850... and always very close to buying another one then I read about somebody who has issues and I convince myself to wait for 7000s / kepler
m
l
January 14, 2012 10:14:22 PM

amirp said:
true alright then, I am curious, are you using the Hi-Res textures as well? Have you tried to see what difference that makes?

I am in your situation too with a single 6850... and always very close to buying another one then I read about somebody who has issues and I convince myself to wait for 7000s / kepler

"High Res Textures"? What do you mean by that? This is the original Crysis I'm talking about, not Crysis 2, I was had textures set to very high if that's what you meant. I tried turning it down to high and that helped. Generally I really needed to run the game at high to avoid any stutter issues. I wouldn't worry about getting another 6850 btw. They're cheap, and Crysis is the only game I've seen any serious issues with.
m
l
January 14, 2012 10:23:20 PM

doesnt two 1GB cards = 2GB? i REALLY would like to play crysis at max 1080p do u think two 1GB 6870 will have problems? im in australia and it doesnt seem they sell the xfx 6870, which i think is two 6870 in one card? im not very rich so i cant afford the 7970
m
l
January 14, 2012 11:02:28 PM

total newb said:
doesnt two 1GB cards = 2GB? i REALLY would like to play crysis at max 1080p do u think two 1GB 6870 will have problems? im in australia and it doesnt seem they sell the xfx 6870, which i think is two 6870 in one card? im not very rich so i cant afford the 7970

No, unfortunately it does not. Two 1GB cards = 1GB total Vram in crossfire. Crysis is the only game that vram is giving me issue with though, so I wouldn't let it stop you from getting a second 6870. Turning down AA and some settings really helped too.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 6:24:36 AM

Koolg223 said:
"High Res Textures"? What do you mean by that? This is the original Crysis I'm talking about, not Crysis 2, I was had textures set to very high if that's what you meant. I tried turning it down to high and that helped. Generally I really needed to run the game at high to avoid any stutter issues. I wouldn't worry about getting another 6850 btw. They're cheap, and Crysis is the only game I've seen any serious issues with.

Sorry, for some reason I assumed it was Crysis 2. Ah okay then I may get it, once I finish Skyrim and a worthwhile game comes out. Skyrim and the great majority of good games are easily maxed even with one 6850 (overclocked). The only game I can't that I would like playing is The Witcher 2
m
l
January 15, 2012 7:32:03 PM

amirp said:
Sorry, for some reason I assumed it was Crysis 2. Ah okay then I may get it, once I finish Skyrim and a worthwhile game comes out. Skyrim and the great majority of good games are easily maxed even with one 6850 (overclocked). The only game I can't that I would like playing is The Witcher 2

What clocks do you run your 6850 at? The guy that sold me my Sapphire claimed it was "golden," and that it could be clocked up to 6970 levels with the proper cooling. I'm running both my 6850s at 850 MHZ core and 1070 memory right now, how far can you push clocks? I put it up to 900 MHZ on both and that seemed to work, but the clock kept slipping back. I was using afterburner, now I'm just going through Catalyst.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 11:07:47 PM

I have a 3 year direct replacement plan at my local store so I go all out on it. And that guy lied to you bro, you can surpass a 6870 but that's about it, definitely not anywhere near a 6970.

I have mine at 950mhz, and 1100 mhz on the memory with a voltage bump to 1180 mVolts which should be safe because that is pretty much the stock 6870 voltage. I use Sapphire Trixx since afterburner wouldnt let me alter voltage no matter what I tried.
m
l
January 15, 2012 11:56:39 PM

amirp said:
I have a 3 year direct replacement plan at my local store so I go all out on it. And that guy lied to you bro, you can surpass a 6870 but that's about it, definitely not anywhere near a 6970.

I have mine at 950mhz, and 1100 mhz on the memory with a voltage bump to 1180 mVolts which should be safe because that is pretty much the stock 6870 voltage. I use Sapphire Trixx since afterburner wouldnt let me alter voltage no matter what I tried.

I don't think he mean surpassing 6970 performance. Just pushing the clocks to the same speed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 1:09:08 AM

But why is that a selling point lol? I had my 8600 gt at like 800 mhz ... it was still a piece of crap. See what I mean?

It is a good card for value though, and overclocking helps it gain alot of performance
m
l
January 16, 2012 1:30:52 AM

amirp said:
But why is that a selling point lol? I had my 8600 gt at like 800 mhz ... it was still a piece of crap. See what I mean?

It is a good card for value though, and overclocking helps it gain alot of performance

Lol I really don't know what he meant, but I don't care too much. What software do you use to overclock? I was using Afterburner, but I had some issues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2012 3:03:04 AM

I am using Sapphire Trixx bro, it's alright and can let you set up custom fan profile too fairly easily
m
l
!