Sign in with
Your question

Can't read old hard drive

Last response: in Components
July 3, 2012 1:13:17 PM

Hello,
I took out my old hard drive and put it in a little metal case so I can hook it up as an external drive to get everything off it but my computer won't even register that it's there. How do I make the computer register that it's there to read it and get the stuff off?

More about : read hard drive

July 3, 2012 1:29:54 PM

You should only use one boot device at a time. Sata devices don't provide an adjustment for the boot order; ide devices usually have a jumper marked for "master" or "slave". Check your hard drive jumper setting if it's ide and be sure it's set to the right setting depending on the number of other drives you're using on your motherboard.
m
l
July 3, 2012 5:14:57 PM

...also, go to Computer Management/Disk Management and see if it is showing up as unallocated. You may have to make the system aware of it.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 8:20:35 PM

Did the harddrive work in the old computer?
Do you have the external drive case on power. Only 2.5" drives can be powered off the USB port. 3.5" drives need power from the wall.
m
l
July 15, 2012 2:57:32 PM

o1die said:
You should only use one boot device at a time. Sata devices don't provide an adjustment for the boot order; ide devices usually have a jumper marked for "master" or "slave". Check your hard drive jumper setting if it's ide and be sure it's set to the right setting depending on the number of other drives you're using on your motherboard.

This is already over my head. I don't know what or where a jumper is. I don't know how to check my hard dirve jumper setting let alone change it. Maybe I should just take it to a repair facility and see if they can get the information off of it. It wouldn't boot anymore in my computer, that's why I took it out and replaced it with a new one.
m
l
July 15, 2012 2:58:05 PM

clutchc said:
...also, go to Computer Management/Disk Management and see if it is showing up as unallocated. You may have to make the system aware of it.

This is over my head.
m
l
July 15, 2012 3:47:58 PM

Do you know if your hard drive is SATA or IDE?
How are you powering the drive outside the case.
m
l
July 15, 2012 6:59:45 PM

clutchc said:
Do you know if your hard drive is SATA or IDE?
How are you powering the drive outside the case.

I have no idea whether it's SATA or IDE. How do you tell? I think it's IDE because when I view system devices and look at my hard drive there are lots of things in there that say IDE. Its from a Gateway laptop model M-6843. I bought one of those little metal cases you can put the hard drive in and you are supposed to be able to plug it in via usb to any computer and it will show up as another drive. I think the case that I bought for it has a power plug to the wall. Not sure, I gave up and put it away and can't find it right now. I will look for it.
m
l
!