Status
Not open for further replies.

Senile_Llama

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Just wondering the main difference between the GTX 560 and GTX 560 superclocked (not the Ti version). Would I be able to purchase the regular GTX 560 and overclock it to whatever the superclocked version is? Are they just trying to sucker beginners for $10?

Solution
The superclocked versions normally are factory overclocked, and have a better cooling system. Yes you could probably overclock the standard to superclock levels, but you will also be able to overclock the "superclock" one even more.

If it does have a better cooling system, I would go for the super clocked version. I have a MSI GTX 460 Hawk (one of the best coolers around) (a 560 is a heavily overclocked 460) and I have it overclocked to 900MHz, which is equal if not greater to the speed the"superoverclocked" 560's come shipped as. The extra cooling ability makes a huge difference in the amount you can overclock.

Edit: Are you looking at two specific cards, or just in general? Not all superclocked cards coolers are created equal...

AxemanACL

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
The superclocked versions normally are factory overclocked, and have a better cooling system. Yes you could probably overclock the standard to superclock levels, but you will also be able to overclock the "superclock" one even more.

If it does have a better cooling system, I would go for the super clocked version. I have a MSI GTX 460 Hawk (one of the best coolers around) (a 560 is a heavily overclocked 460) and I have it overclocked to 900MHz, which is equal if not greater to the speed the"superoverclocked" 560's come shipped as. The extra cooling ability makes a huge difference in the amount you can overclock.

Edit: Are you looking at two specific cards, or just in general? Not all superclocked cards coolers are created equal, so don't just go buy the cheapest superclock card

Solution

Senile_Llama

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

That makes more sense. It doesn't seem like the super clocked version has a different cooling system. This is my first build, so I'm quite new to graphics cards, so thanks for the info. I was mainly looking at the EVGA gtx 560's but now I will look into others for cooling system differences.

Koolg223

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Sorry, I know this isn't what you were asking about, but I would really recommend you get a 6870 over the GTX 560. It's better value if you're planning on gaming. A good deal more powerful and available with more vram. If you're running games at 1080p and want to leave room for an upgrade down the road, having 2 GB of vram is important for crossfire. The GTX 560 ti is also a good option, but more expensive. I really wouldn't recommend the non Ti 560 though.

Senile_Llama

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Ok I will definately look into getting the HD 6870 instead

Status
Not open for further replies.