Linking computers for repar purposes

Liz_65

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
The screen is busted on my laptop so have been using a screen linked thru the VGA port. I recently set my computer back to factory default and now cannot read the external screen as it needs to reinstall the VGA port. I can\'t get to that point as I cannot read the screen. How could I link the laptop to another computer to take it thru the set up process

bucknutty

Distinguished
the external monitor should work with no drivers but you need to enable it. Most laptops have a FN combination key to turn that on. On my compaq to turn on my external monitor i have to hold FN (bottom left) and hit the F4 button. There is a little blue monitor on the key. Yours might be different but chances are one of your F# buttons will have a picture of a monitor.

Once the computer is powered on try differnt combination of FN+F# keys.

Liz_65

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Hi

Thanks for this I have tried it, mine apparently should be Fn F5 although I tried various combos. Anyway, I didn't have any joy. Do u have any other ideas? The computer has been put back to factory default which seems to have diabeled the external screen, would that affect your suggested solution?

Liz_65

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Ah thanks for that, will keep trying different combos until it cooperates with me!