Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Diamond Radeon HD 5550 Pavilion a6010n w/ ASUS P5LP-LE !black screen!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2012 3:42:13 AM

I have a problem installing my Diamond Radeon HD 5550 GPU onto my HP Pavilion A6010N Desktop PC

Whenever I turn on my PC with the card is in the PCI Express slot, I get a black screen. this happens when i have the VGA in the onboard or GPU, Have disabled the onboard graphic through BIOS and/or Device Manager, already have the drivers installed

I have tried everything i could think of doing without putting more money in, because I don't even know the problem.

I got the card last summer as a birthday present to make this pretty crappy pc last a little longer, but it's giving me such a big problem I literally want to throw my pc out of my 2nd story window.

My PC: HP Pavilion a6010n PC
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-...

Motherboard: ASUS P5LP-LE
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

CPU : Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E4300 Intel® Viiv™ Technology
• 1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz Front Side Bus

Video card:
DIAMOND HD Radeon HD 5550 PCI Express GDDR3 1GB Video Graphics Card
http://www.diamondmm.com/5550PE31G.php

Okay, so now what I have tired to do to fix this

I have called Diamond and Hp, they're no help.

Upgraded power supply so it would not be an issue.

I upgraded to Win7 before trying the card, and when I tried to set the PCI Express slot as the primary video adapter in the BIOS, there was no option for it, just onboard and PCI. So I went on the HP website and saw there was a BIOS update. Tried to install it, but it wouldn't let me on Windows 7.
Needed to find my vista recovery disks(took a while) and when I tried to re-install vista, one of the disks was corrupt (Yayy!)

So I got a hold of another copy of vista and fresh installed it. I then downloaded the BIOS update and installed it, but there is still not a option in the BIOS for PCI Express (seemed very odd) but i continued on, installing the Drivers for the 5550 HD and disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS and device manager. popped in the card and still nothing!

I know the card isn't dead (fan spins)

I may have forgotten some details, I will best answer anything i can if you are to try and help me. I'm still on Vista until i get this to work by the way.

Now I am thinking I may be stupid, I thought it was compatible, but the card requirements say
System CPU : Pentium Intel Duo, AMD X64 or higher
CPU Speed : 2.4 GHz or higher CPU

I have the stock Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E4300 Intel® Viiv™ Technology
• 1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz Front Side Bus

could the CPU be the problem? if it is, is there one I can get to make this work. (im fine with spending $ as long as it will work, don't want to drop $100ish for it to be a lost cause)

Thank you all so much, I have tried all I could think of, so I come to this community because you seem to be very helpful :) 
January 14, 2012 3:22:40 PM

As I see it there are two possibilities. Faulty card or motherboard incompatibility if the card is PCIe ver2.1 which has had no video issues in older boards with ver 1.x slots.
Score
January 14, 2012 7:01:17 PM

I think the card is a 2.0, should work with the 1.0 slot.
The card could be dead, but the fan works, so I don't think so.

Could it be CPU compatibility issues?
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

January 14, 2012 7:22:41 PM

If the card is version 2.0 (free of the compatibility issue the 2.1 cards have) even with the fan spinning most likely faulty card!
January 17, 2012 1:40:08 AM

this is actually the second card I got, same exact thing was happening to the first one so i sent it back saying it was DOA.
Score
January 22, 2012 12:04:57 PM

Best answer selected by Lavoo.
Score
January 22, 2012 12:55:37 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!