Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for advice

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 9, 2005 3:52:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Canon S2 IS.......or...............Panasonic FZ5 ??

Opinions please, thanks.

More about : advice

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:52:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Moe" <kamsands@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:TwLpe.1603805$Xk.886029@pd7tw3no...
> Canon S2 IS.......or...............Panasonic FZ5 ??
>
> Opinions please, thanks.

My opinion is:

www.dpreview.com

After you look there, you'll either:

-Have the answers you need... or...

-Have a more specific question.
June 9, 2005 8:16:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

What I SHOULD have said was: As much as I love My A80.............I'm
thinking of selling it.......& buying either the Canon S2 IS.....or the
Panasonic FZ5. ( can't afford to keep both :-( )

thanks.

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:lKOpe.65929$Wr.51023@fed1read04...
>
> "Moe" <kamsands@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:TwLpe.1603805$Xk.886029@pd7tw3no...
>> Canon S2 IS.......or...............Panasonic FZ5 ??
>>
>> Opinions please, thanks.
>
> My opinion is:
>
> www.dpreview.com
>
> After you look there, you'll either:
>
> -Have the answers you need... or...
>
> -Have a more specific question.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:52:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Moe wrote:
> Canon S2 IS.......or...............Panasonic FZ5 ??
>
> Opinions please, thanks.

You will find quite a few comments from users of the FZ5 over in
rec.photo.digital.zlr

The S2 IS is too new for me to comment - the odd pictures from it I've
seen suggest it is no better than the FZ5, but maybe you might prefer the
CF memory card, AA batteries, or the swivel LCD finder.

David
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:59:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

David J Taylor wrote:
> Moe wrote:
> > Canon S2 IS.......or...............Panasonic FZ5 ??
> >
> > Opinions please, thanks.
>
> You will find quite a few comments from users of the FZ5 over in
> rec.photo.digital.zlr
>
> The S2 IS is too new for me to comment - the odd pictures from it I've
> seen suggest it is no better than the FZ5, but maybe you might prefer the
> CF memory card, AA batteries, or the swivel LCD finder.
>
> David

The new S2 uses SD memory cards, the old S1 used CF cards. I have not
seen enough pictures, read enough user reviews or read any professional
reviews about the Canon S2 to give advise on which of these cameras to
purchase. I do however like the idea of being able to take a picture
while shooting a movie and zoom in and out while shooting a movie with
the S2 and also the swivel LCD finder.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:44:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

defender52 wrote:
[]
> The new S2 uses SD memory cards, the old S1 used CF cards.

One advantage gone then, as far as some people were concerned....

> I have not
> seen enough pictures, read enough user reviews or read any
> professional reviews about the Canon S2 to give advise on which of
> these cameras to purchase. I do however like the idea of being able
> to take a picture while shooting a movie and zoom in and out while
> shooting a movie with the S2 and also the swivel LCD finder.

Let me know how you get on with the ergonomics of those movie options! I
would imagine that you only know which frame you wanted as a still image
/after/ making the movie.

It will indeed be interesting to see a head-to-head FZ5 versus S2 IS
review.

David
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:04:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:52:19 GMT, "Moe" <kamsands@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Canon S2 IS.......or...............Panasonic FZ5 ??
>
>Opinions please, thanks.
>

You may want to reconsider selling the A80 (4MP) because
that's 1 of Canons cleanest (picture noise) cameras because is uses a
1/1.8" sensor @ 4MP. That same physical size sensor is used in the
S60 & S70 but @ 5 & 7.1MP respectively. The S2 IS uses a physically
smaller sensor so it will almost certainly have more noise but if the
difference is acceptable to you, go for it. Just make sure you know
what your giving up before you do so.

You can wait on some reviews & download full size unedited
samples to examine 1st, before you make the final choice or maybe wait
a little longer & save up so you won't need to sell the A80 to get the
S2 IS.

Just something to consider.

Respectfully, DHB
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
June 13, 2005 9:39:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"defender52" <defender52@aol.com> wrote in news:1118332749.077508.174310
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Moe wrote:
>> > Canon S2 IS.......or...............Panasonic FZ5 ??
>> >
>> > Opinions please, thanks.
>>
>> Go to www.dpreview.com for people opinions of this camera. I saw it on QVC
UK yesterday and was very impressed. I wont be getting it though because I am
very happy with my Kodak DX6490 even though its only 10x zoom.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 10:20:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Mark wrote:
> I wont be getting it though
> because I am very happy with my Kodak DX6490 even though its only 10x
> zoom.

Probably, the presence or absence of image stabilisation, and the quality
of the lens, is more important than whether the zoom is 10X or 12X.

David
!