Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What does it mean when it says a CPU supports "XXXX" mhz ram.

Last response: in CPUs
July 3, 2012 3:15:19 PM

Ok say on the manufacturers website it says the processor only supports 1333 or 1600 mhz ram. What happens if you put something in thats higher than that? Will it just bottleneck or not be usable at all?
a c 283 à CPUs
July 3, 2012 3:18:16 PM

It'll be fine, it's more dependent on the motherboard than the CPU. Although I should add that anything over 1600 is overkill and not needed anyway.
m
l

Best solution

a c 190 à CPUs
July 3, 2012 3:30:07 PM

With Intel® processors like the Intel Core™ i5-3570K you will see that they support DDR 3 1333 and 1600; if you put memory in that is listed as a faster RAM in order to run that memory at that speed you would have to go into the Bios and change the setting to reach that speed. This would be seen as overclocking and unless you had picked up the Intel Performance Tuning package you could would find that we dont support those higher speeds.

As DJDeCiBeL stated there really isnt much value in running anything faster than DDR 3 1600.
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
July 3, 2012 3:35:10 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
This would be seen as overclocking and unless you had picked up the Intel Performance Tuning package you could would find that we dont support those higher speeds.

Yeah, I should have said that too, even though there are people here that I've had arguments with about that, lol. I have the Tuning Plan myself, so I know I'm covered, but a lot of people don't believe what you just said.

Straight from the horse's mouth here.
m
l
July 3, 2012 5:36:57 PM

Best answer selected by phunky_21.
m
l
!