Glitchy Imgage and Freezes

ronin684

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Wasnt sure where to post it, but as this is a Dell machine and I can't narrow down the exact fault, I thought this category best.

System Model: XPS 630i

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
BIOS: Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
2X Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT SLI
Chip type: NVIDIA nForce 650i

A while back I started getting a glitchy screen, it would happen after a while, be fine after a restart, and then got to the point where it would happen even during boot up.

I was running two sli graphics cards but trying them individually but still produced a glitchy image although each visually different. The image would be unreadable and crash.

My brother had an identical x630i. So I tried two of his graphics cards, I found these worked, but on board sound no longer worked. After a few months of use however I started to have similar issue, and familiar glitch images and freezes.

I have reproduced it several times by starting the game, or more specifically UDK game editor. However its also happened when I was simply browsing the internet once.

So I borrowed my brothers motherboard from his 630i. However after replacing, I still had the same issue when starting UDK.

Now that I have a new motherboard installed I decided to test each of the 4 graphic cards ( my two, and my brothers two) individually to see what would happen, with each I started the PC and then once windows had loaded launched the game.

My graphics cards:
Card A: Glitchy image, low resolution, couldn't launch game because of insufficient graphics card. Previously: Would crash shortly after windows started.
Card B: Seems to work fine. Previously: Would be glitchy, unreadable, would crash shortly after windows start.

My brothers:
Card X: Glitches a minute or so after the game is launched. Previously: Up until recently this card worked fine, when it started to glitch it prompted me to switch motherboard.
Card Y: Seems to work fine. Previously: I haven't used this card much and had only been using Card X.

One graphics card that used to work has started to die on me, and one card that I thought was broken has started to work. eh? I'm struggling to determine the cause and hesitant to use the PC before figuring it out in case something else gets damaged. Any and all suggestions welcome.

TRENDING THREADS