New computer freezes at random after ~1 month running

LilJohn

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I've got a brand new computer with almost everything being brand new(no openbox or refurb items) except for ps2 keyboard, usb trackball(~2001), and a USB DVD drive.

The main hardware items are:
3930K CPu with c2 stepping
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
32G G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series (8 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
Two Asus 560ti in SLI
Corsair H100 cooler
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 1200W
Windows 7 Pro
Intel 520 SSD 180Gb
Two ASUS 24" 1080p monitors
Bench test case

I had it running almost great with a "mild" 4.2Ghz overclock. The temps on everything were reasonable.

It ran D3, Civ5, SC2, and BF3 with no problems. I also had Visual Studio 2010 installed, NVidia Cuda dev items, Opera web browser, and Dataram Ramdisk.

Last week, it would just freeze in the middle of web browsing. The mouse cursor would still move for a bit then the system would freeze. No BSOD just locked up with whatever was on the screen.

I pulled half the memory out and still the same issue.

I upgrade to the latest bios(1404) and still the same issue.

I pulled one of the GPUs out and still the same issue.

I just pulled the CPU/cooler and re-"glued" them and reinstalled Windows(fully updated) yesterday. It is still having the same issue.

I did a visual inspection of the board/components and noticed nothing concerning. All the pins in the 2011 socket looked good.

Where should I start beginning my debugging?

Would this freezing be a GPU issue? I'm using the latest driver from NVidia(not ASUS)

Would this be a CPU issue?

LilJohn

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Cazalan, how can I be sure that the CPU is hanging and not something else?

I'll see if I can track down some info in the event log.

Forgot to mention, Windows is a 64bit version.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
This is going to be a PITA with 8 sticks of RAM, but pull all sticks but one and run Memtest86+ for several hours on each stick of RAM. If no errors come back, your good.

If it is the CPU, simply take out the overclock for now and play the wait and see game.

LilJohn

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I am getting freezing without any overclock. Literally, using the stock bios with only change being the numlock.

Is there a good method to diagnos if it is the CPU?

Before I start RMAing parts, I'd lvoe to RMA the right one :kaola:

Possemaster

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I have the same issue;

Asus Sabertooth X79 MOBO
Intel I7 3930k CPU
16GB Dominator GT 2133Mhz DDR3 MEM
Coolermaster 1200W Gold PSU
Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB GPU
OCZ 120 GB SSD Vertex 3

Windows 7 x64 new installation with all updates.
Latest drivers on all components.
Latest firmware for SSD
Latest BIOS update for MOBO
Latest BIOS update for GPU
Latest DirectX update

With high demand on the system it randomly freezes.
I never get a BSOD. Only Freeze and sometimes even the reset button does not work.
I always have to do a hard reset. Nothing is in the Event Logs.

Everything runs Stock, NO OC

Did one night a Prime95 Blend test for 10 hours. Max temps CPU 51C and Cores AVG 62C
Did next night a Prime95 Small FFT test for 9 hours. Max Temps CPU 55C and Cores AVG 66C

Next day during work i let my PC run a 9 hours straight Memtest86.

Did a 6 hours Furmark test on the GPU.

Nothing caused any problems.

When I use Premiere Pro to move files or transcode or sometimes view files it Freezes (Not Always - Randomly)
When I play games like "The Secret World, BF3 or Batman Arkham City" It freezes between 5 minutes and 1.5 hours"

I don't know what to do anymore. Did i forget anything? Do you have another test or idea?

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I just finished working on a pc that randomly crashed, but with BOSD, AMD 6000 X2 CPU and 4850 GPU. This pc had 4.0 gig of DDR2 mem clocked at 800 MHz. I clocked the mem back to 667 which seemed to fix the problem.

Maybe not all the mem sticks in these pc's can run or sync at the high speeds set. Most RAM is sold as kits I believe because of this issue.

I am not sure that you can buy 16 and 32 Gig RAM sets? Set the mem back to the next lower speed and see if that alleviates the prob.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
You can buy sets all the way up to past 64 GB. Sometimes BSODs are cause by faulty RAM, or the memory controller cannot handle various aspects of it. For instance, some motherboard's would cause BSODs when all four banks of memory was populated due to the memory controller being overly taxed.

However, if running memtest for 9 hours produced absolutely zero errors and did not freeze during the test, then the memory itself is likely fine.

As far as setting back the speed on the RAM, that is definitely a good idea. If it is the memory controller, or some other issue other than the RAM itself, then sometimes even running at default speeds can cause instability.

LilJohn

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
After doing some more attempted using, I caught it in the middle of one of it's "lockups".

Basically, the mouse freezes but I was able to use the keyboard to page through a long webpage.

I pulled the mouse from the USB port(USB 2.0) and tried it on another USB 2.0 port. It didn't work there either. I put it in one of the USB 3.0 ports and it worked.

This leads me to believe MB issue so I'm in the process of RMAing it :fou: