PSU PC POWER| PPCMK3S600 600W RT
CPU INTEL|CORE I3 2120 3.3G 3M R
GPU HIS|H685FN1GD HD6850 1G R
MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
HD 500G|WD SATAIII WD5000AAKX % - OEM
MB ASROCK|H61M/U3S3 H61 LGA1155 R
CPU CoolerMaster| RR-B10-212P-G1 RT
DVD ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM

I have been looking for solutions to my PC. It is a new build and it started to randomly shut down for no apparent reason. Not only that, there is never a time of when it will shut down. I can be doing anything and then randomly it is gone. The odd part is exactly how random it is. For the last 2 days I ran ran the computer over night to render some footage not one problem. I go to watch something on-line and then it may turn off. When I go to turn it back on sometimes it takes a few moments and then it may turn on by itself. I have read I may have a bad PSU, but the board and everything connected still gets power no problem and is lit up.

Now, just before I was able to get the computer back on I turned off the PSU and after about 5-10 seconds I heard a odd high pitched wind down type of sound. Upon restarting the computer shut down and I turned off the PSU and it did it again. I have heard this noise before when the computer is shutting down on a normal shut down. In fact it makes this noise everytime. It is almost like a surge I want to say because once I was wearing my headset as I was shutting down and the noise came through my headset extremely loud. It is not the headset because it does this with or without the headset.

I have yet to pin point the problem.

As suggested from reading about people with similar problems I have run memtest to see if there are any errors. There are errors but they are also random but only every once in a while. I let Memtest run overnight and the first night it found 4 errors:
2 errors on test 4 and 2 on test 6

Another night, one error on test 7.

I do not overclock, everything is pretty much how it should be.

I have updated the bios, removed the RAM several times, reseated the heatsink once, removed and placed the GPU again. I am at a loss.

Up until now I have just been dealing with it, but finally broke down and decided to ask for some guidance.

I have been dealing with this since about 2 days after my new build. This is the first time I have built a computer and I am worried I have to RMA something and be without it for a few days. But if I have to then by all means I will.

gilbertguy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Unfortunately, I do not have another PSU to try out. Pretty sure my friends arn't going to let me borrow theirs, of course lol.

I honestly fear its the MOBO as the MemTest was sporadic with its results.
I will look into removing the heatsink and reseating it again once I have more thermal paste.

gilbertguy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
And again I leave the pc on over night without problems. Can anyone else confirm it may be the MOBO or RAM? I am honestly think the MOBO because of the random memtest tests that were failed. When the crash happens everything is still powered but the pc including the board.

I turned off the auto restart and I did get BSOD once.

Also, when crashing sometimes the pc just boots back up like a reset. Sometimes I must turn of the PSU before I can boot.

If it helps the pc does post and load without problems, I play Batman arkham asylum at max, I render video for very long periods. Just nothing forces it to happen so any change may not be immediate.