Computer keep crashing when **starting** 3D applications / games

mrxff

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hello,
I've noticed this serious problem days ago when I was playing Star Trek Online. When playing, I switched out of the game to check IRC msgs. When I switched back, I only saw the game interface less than a second then my system crashes (no sound, monitor reports "No Signal" and numlock key failed too). I have to reset my computer. And within a day I can't even see STO's interface; the computer crash instantly after loading screens. Then when I try to use 3D window switch of Windows 7, same thing happens sometimes. I then tried other 3D games like TrackMania, and I could only see the rotating globe (3D) for a fraction of second then my computer crashed again. It seems that any 3D rendering would crash my system.

The strange thing is I could run some other applications which use GPU at 100% but with no 3D renders, like miners of cryptocurrency.

I'm not overclocking my system.
Checked CPU and GPU's temperature and both are fine.
Tried minimal system, no luck.
Tried many drivers from 275.33 to 290.xx beta, no luck. I was using 285 driver without any problems.

System spec:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940
Memory: Kingston 3 x 1GB
MB: Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H
GPU: Galaxy GeForce GTS250

Any help is appreciated, it's driving me crazy these days.

Arotikah

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
I have since JUNE tried to localize the issue I had with a similar crash when launching 3D-applications. Just caused a system crash, no restart or anything. Just shut down. So now I have run all tests and troubleshooting technologies out there - NO ERRORS.

I found out my problem was my PSU is too weak. I thought I had a stronger PSU for some reason but I guess I must've dreamt that, haha.

Also, if this is not the solution for YOU - run BurnInTest - tests EVERY single thing you can test and troublshoot.
http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Anyways.
The problem is when I launched these specific applications (mostly new games, old ones work just fine and/or new ones with different graphic engines, don't know exactly why some work but it has something to do with the GFX technologies used in the games I bet.

So yeah, when I launched these applications the GFX card (EVGA Geforce GTX760) spiked the power so high my PSU couldn't handle it - but once I get in after a few system crashes I can play for as long as I like.

Check if you have sufficient PSU power and see if that solves your problem.

I would like to submit this on as many boards as possible as sooooooo many people have issues with this is unbelieavable.

If you have links to other boards or something similar for me, feel free to e-mail them to me at ginnungagap.j@gmail.com so I can help out with this solution.

YOU ARE ALL ALLOWED TO COPY/PASTE THIS SOLUTION OR LINK TO IT and put it out there as I believe this is the main problem for most of the people experiencing this. Help out get those thousands of people getting this fixed so they can play again. :)