Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Issues with windows being slow, no sound, bluetooth mouse issues

Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2012 5:50:17 AM

Hey guys, first time poster, long time user.

I'm having trouble with a new gaming rig I built. I'm having three issues I'm encountering; but first, my parts list.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: Intel I7 2700k 3.5 ghz (plan to overclock after I resolve all issues)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
Heat sink: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
PSU: OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS
Case: Rosewill RANGER Gaming ATX Mid Tower
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600mhz

I'm running off a fresh install of windows, with only a few things installed: League of legends, Star wars the old republic, Tribes ascend, Spotify, Ventrilo, Skype, and google chrome. I've downloaded and updated all of my drivers from either dev websites or the driver CD that came with the mobo, then updated via device manager.

Issue 1: Windows is running incredibly slow. I would think that this rig would be rather quick, but... it's so slow that it is giving me a headache. My office laptop, a duocore thinkpad R61, runs windows 7 64 bit faster than this thing. I can't figure out what's wrong. The boot time for windows is nearly 3 minutes, it can't search for anything in the start menu (I had to check newegg for my parts list because I can't get it to search for dxdiag), and the majority of program freezes and/or takes at least a minute to so much as load up, i.e. device manager. Despite this, my cpu usage is less than 10% at nearly all times, and my ram is sitting at 12%. In a test run of Tribes Ascend after installing it, everything worked flawlessly.

Issue 2: I cannot get my sound to work. I've got the bios set to the HD audio setting, with the HD plug going into the correct pins on the motherboard, in accordance with the mobo's manual. Troubleshooting my audio via windows comes up saying that my speakers, headphones, or headset is not plugged in, which leads me to believe that windows is not detecting the sockets. This is true for both the audio sockets on the case and the mobo socket in the rear panel. I have tried all slots for sound. I have used several different pairs of headphones and a headset in addition to my speakers. I have no clue.

**Note: I am using the Realtek audio drivers... also have the Nvidia HD audio drivers installed, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference. Let me know, please.

Issue 3: Bluetooth. The P8Z68-V/Pro is supposed to come with bluetooth, and indeed the drivers for it did include Bluetooth Suite. However, that doesn't seem to let it detect my mouse when it is in discoverable mode. I had to get the USB dongle that I had been using on my non-bluetooth laptop and install the drivers for that in order to get my mouse to work. I would very much like to get rid of the USB dongle from my desktop and simply keep it on my laptop, because those things are very flimsy and have a tendency to break through repeated pulling out and putting in to usb sockets. Any help on this issue would be appreciated, but the other 2 issues are what I would very much like help with.

Sorry for writing a story, just trying to give as much information as possible.

Bitz

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 21, 2012 11:58:18 AM

1st try removing half your ram. Did you update the bios from Asus' site? Don't rely on the drivers that came with the motherboard disk. I had the same sound issue on my setup but corrected it in the Realtek control panel. It had to do with device selection. Don't know anything about bluetooth problem sorry.
March 21, 2012 8:17:07 PM

Chaz21 said:
1st try removing half your ram. Did you update the bios from Asus' site? Don't rely on the drivers that came with the motherboard disk. I had the same sound issue on my setup but corrected it in the Realtek control panel. It had to do with device selection. Don't know anything about bluetooth problem sorry.

Nothing. I'm going to RMA the motherboard before the 30 day period expires, I've had nothing but trouble from it. ASUS tech support ran through with me saying that I must have a busted mobo (it was an open-box product, after all. Lesson learned).
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 21, 2012 8:33:53 PM

Bitz1988 said:
Nothing. I'm going to RMA the motherboard before the 30 day period expires, I've had nothing but trouble from it. ASUS tech support ran through with me saying that I must have a busted mobo (it was an open-box product, after all. Lesson learned).

Good move with the RMA. Hope you have better luck with the replacement one. :) 
m
l
March 21, 2012 8:53:13 PM

Best answer selected by Bitz1988.
m
l
!