Sign in with
Your question

Need help with blue screen!!! please

Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2012 10:49:27 AM

Okay, I put together my first home built gaming PC 2ish weeks ago. About 2 days after first boot-up and again about 10 days after first boot-up I received the blue screen. Both times when blue screen happened, the red 'BOOT_DEVICE_LED' lit up on the motherboard. Both times I have reset PC via reset button on tower while blue screen is still up, and both times the PC will not load windows and instead prompts me to put a boot device disk in. Both times I instead have entered the BIOS and immediately saw that the PC was not recognizing my SSD.

Both times I powered down the PC, unplugged the SSD's sata cord from the motherboards intel sata6 port, and just replugged it in, and the PC turned back on and booted up flawlessly. My motherboard has 2 intel sata 6.0 gb plugins, 4 intel sata 3.0 gb plugins, and 2 marvell sata 6.0 gb plugins. After reading through the motherboard manual, I came to the conclusion that using the intel 6.0 plugins would give me the best results... and like I said, I have received a blue screen with the SSD connected to each of the 2 intel 6.0 sata plugins.

I do NOT have a HHD, and only one 256gb SSD. I only use this PC for gaming, so I have no need for mass storage.

My build consists of the following...

Case - HAF X
PSU - Corsair HX-850
CPU - intel i5 2500k (not oc'd)
CPU cooler - Corsair H100
MB - Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen 3
RAM - 16gb corsair vengeance
GPU - evga GTX-580 3g classified ultra
Optic - Asus blu-ray
HD - SSD - Plextor M3 Series PX-256M3 2.5" 256GB SATA III
OS - Windows 7 64.

This build has ran amazing except for these blue screens... FPS is off the charts in all games, I haven't seen a temp above 33 Celsius even after hours of game play, so I haven't even considered OCing the CPU yet... I don't think there's a point. For some reason my 1600 corsair vengeance ram is read @ 1333 in bios, but I doubt that has anything to do with blue screens.

Please any advice would be much appreciated... Should I just be plugging my SSD into an intel sata 3.0 port maybe? Is my SSD or my MB bad?

Thank you all in advance for any and all advice. This community has been a godsend in helping me with this first build!!!

More about : blue screen

a b B Homebuilt system
March 21, 2012 11:39:00 AM

mpgrant said:
For some reason my 1600 corsair vengeance ram is read @ 1333 in bios, but I doubt that has anything to do with blue screens.

I would correct this manually in bios anyway (though I agree it probably has nothing to do with your ssd problem).
mpgrant said:
Please any advice would be much appreciated... Should I just be plugging my SSD into an intel sata 3.0 port maybe? Is my SSD or my MB bad?Thank you all in advance for any and all advice. This community has been a godsend in helping me with this first build!!!

I would suggest you do try the Sata 3gb sockets. Check for a plextor firmware/driver update. I would think that your ssd would work better with the marvel sockets since that is the controller your ssd is based on.
Here's a link you might find useful:
http://www.plextoramericas.com/index.php/forum/27-ssd
if you don't have it already.
!