Boys , I need advice and help

londonhunter

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi wonder if you Gus can help

I have 2 benq 24 monitor which I run portrait and I am very comfortable

I would like to run one more monitor either a 27 inch monitor landscape displaying 4 full side page of a4 with 2 portrait 24 either side for web work

I have no need for gaming
Photoshop and film edit is my next goal

Can ou guys suggest a few display card that will suit the bill

Also if I need 2 cards can I specify one card to drive the 2 portrait monitor and one driving the landscape 27 monitor in the middle ?

Thanks in advance

Benjamin

londonhunter

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
6950, it will also help with photoshop and video editing as most of these are gpu accelerated! Especially photoshop! :)

Thanks for the information

Ok I upgrade to window 7

Put more ram

Buy a 6950

Will this card support 3 monitors or more ?

Helen

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks for the information

Ok I upgrade to window 7

Put more ram

Buy a 6950

Will this card support 3 monitors or more ?

Helen

Keep in mind if you want to use more than two displays you will need to purchase a separate active dongle for the third monitor. A passive dongle will not work, I tried already.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6950/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6950-overview.aspx#3

I tried to get 3 monitors running on my 6970 using the 2 dvi-d ports and one passive dongle plugged into the display port with no luck. During boot up all 3 monitors would turn on and off mulitple times and when that finally stopped I would sometimes have 2 monitors working and sometimes 3. If 3 monitors turned on, the resolution automatically drop to 1368x720 and windows would display a driver error. This does not happen on the 6990 which is probably what AMD is talking about when they say you either need a display port capable panel or a display port dongle. It is the same for all AMD cards can output to more than 2 monitors.

londonhunter

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
So basically now I need the 6990 for 3 monitors

Correct ?

Sorry I am a photography so not very technical about these things

Are there any other display cards that I can consider ?

Helen

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Sorry for the confusion. I did not say to get a 6990. I said that the 6990 is the only card that has a display port that will allow the use of a passive dongle in order to connect 3 monitors. The 6970 and 6950 need an active dongle. It is basically an adapter that plugs into the display port on the back of the card next to the 2 dvi-d connections. The passive dongle is just an adapter and the active dongle has a usb cable attached to it that plugs into the usb port to supply power to the adapter because the card cannot physically power 3 monitors at the same time. amuffin's suggestion is a better choice for you but you need an active dongle.

londonhunter

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Ok boys

Call me stupid or ami missing something

I have posted before but I don't think I am asking the right question

Basically imam trying to link up 3 monitors in vertical mode to work on. I don't need this to play games

I am using window xl professional version and I have an old nvidia 512 mob graphic card

I managed to get 2 of these 24 monitors to work seamlessly with this graphic card

There is a graphic card that comes with the mother board

Now if I add another monitor

Can I use the mother bird graphic card , I tried it and it seems there is no signal
Once I have plugged in the nvidia card

It works when I unplug the nvidia card

If this setupis no good

Can you suggest a good value affordable graphic card to buy on the current market please ?

I would love one screen for photoshop one screen for word processing and one screen for email

Eventually I also like to add another (fourth) screen

Thanks guys

Please don't laugh if I am missing something simple here

Helen
London

Just buy a cheap second nvidia graphics card; that will allow you to attach two more monitors.

The best would be a pci-e based card if you have a second pci-e slot.

Otherwise, you should have a pci slot available which can accomodate a second low priced card.

What motherboard do you have? Some of the older ones did not let you use the onboard graphics when the pci-e graphics slot was used. Read the motherboard manual to be certain. XP can use only one graphics driver as I recall, so that would explain why the integrated graphics might not work; it will need the motherboard graphics driver also.

That would indicate an upgrade to windows 7. W7 64 bit might be a good idea for photoshop performance anyway.

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6450/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6450-overview.aspx

go to AMD website do some research link above look at the hd 6000 series click on every card check specification look for AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology1 specs
examples :AMD Radeon 6450 cheapest card will say like this >>
*Native support for up to 3 simultaneous displays
*Up to 4 displays supported with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport
*Independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
*Display grouping
*Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display
Check for the best solution
If you go over to a ADM Radeon 6770 or higher you will ned a minimum 500 w PSU with a 6 pin power conector
You can also check overview to see how many display ports it has
A 6790 will give you 6 monitor suport
Cables will cost
Check youtube EyeFinity
Good luck

londonhunter

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Wow wonderful

I found this on eBay

3GB ATi Radeon HD 6450 2GB HDMI DVI VGA Silent 3D Graphics Card
160 Core Graphics - DirectX 11 - Perfect BluRay Quality

Will this do ?

Will I be able to control each monitor to different orientation

Example

Left monitor vertical 24 inch
Middle monitor landscape 27 inch
Right monitor vertical 24 inch

Thanks

Helen
Nice to know there is still chivalry out there

This card will do fine for your requirements. I think it's pretty old by now but it is what you need to do the stuff that you do. Also it's the easiest to setup without any headaches.
http://www.techpowerup.com/156451/Sapphire-provides-Eyefinity-on-the-cheap-with-the-Radeon-HD-6450-FleX.html

Go for the Flex card series by Sapphire and you'll be fine, no other complicated setups needed, easy to configure and stuff like that. Just make sure that the Video Ram is large..... although since you're not gaming it may not be required but that's a luxury you can afford for the prices at which these cards are out.

SAPPHIRE FleX 100314FLEX Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity--- @200USD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102924

SAPPHIRE FleX 100322FLEX Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card ---@ 55USD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102960

SAPPHIRE Flex 100328FLEX Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ---@125USD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102938

londonhunter

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Guys thanks a million

I have ordered the sapphire flex hd6450 card

Last question if you don't mind

If I run just one screen span across three screens

24 portrait on the left at 1920x1080
27 landscape in the middle at 1920x1080 for photos
24 inch portrait on the right at 1920x1080

The 27 inch monitor is 50mm shorter than the to 24 inch on either side
With the graphic card accommodate that ?

Will the middle screen be squashed or will the driver seize accordingly ?

Really thanks a million

Helen
London

Actually the 2 monitors on either side stand taller than the middle one, so you'll get black strips like a panorama screen on both the left and the right screens whereas the middle one will be completely full without the strips. This is while panning photos across the 3 monitors. But other wise you'll get full screens on all of them.
When you turn your monitor to the vertical alignment the resolution becomes 1080 x 1920 instead of 1920 x 1080.

So when you calculate the total display resolution it needs to be (2 x 1080) + 1920 x (2 x 1920) + 1080 = 4080 x 4920

londonhunter

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I understand

I seem you are thinking of gaming over one window .. Right ?

I was thinking of running photoshop on its own in the middle and separate window applications on either side like email and full page word processor

Do I still have black strip in that scenario ?

Helen
Thanks

No, as I said in the earlier post for all other stuff the three monitors will function as full screens, but for Panning a whole pic across them you'll come across the strips or for games and movies. But as far as all other functioning is concerned you'll get full three full size desktop areas to work with.

Ok, I'll write the whole thing again, 'cos for some reason the earlier reply isn't coming thru.

No, you'll not get those black strips while running different applications on the three monitors. The black strip will only appear in movies, pics or games when they would be panned across the three monitors. Otherwise, you'll have the full workspace of three monitors for your use.