Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Overheating

Last response: in Mobile Computing
September 14, 2002 10:46:25 PM

Hey,
i was planning on purchasing a laptop as a desktop replacement and was quite concerned about the issues of overheating. Will the laptop (say p4 2ghz) overheat
if i constantly use it for playing games, movies, and basically high demanding apps 24/7 (like leaving it on all night etc.)
Thanks

More about : laptop overheating

September 14, 2002 10:52:23 PM

also, id just like to add that i like to play a lot of FPS and was wondering if a laptop could handle such gaming (Counterstrike UNreal tournament, GTA3 etc.)
and one last thing, whats the diff between a p4 2ghz M
and p4 2.4ghz for laptop?
Thanks again
September 15, 2002 4:14:20 AM

Err hmm. I've got an alienware laptop. It's got a desktop 2.2ghz processor in it. Never had any problems with heat or overheating even when playing games, compiling or watching dvd's. I leave it on 24/7 but put it into standby at night when i goto bed. Seems to handle gaming pretty well. Had it since the middle of July, been playing Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft 3, and Jedi Outcast primarily but have played a few other games on there as well. If you can afford to wait for a little while I'd recommend waiting till the radeon 9000 started shipping in laptops. Not sure when that'll happen or if it already has but figure the new vid card would be worth the wait. Difference between the 'M' processors and the desktop processors is basically speedstep. The p4 2ghz M processor will slow down when yer on battery to give you longer battery life. Also uses slightly less power. The p4 2.4 ghz...is 400 mhz faster and less expensive I think. Personally I've had no problems with the desktop processor. Battery lasts long enough for me.
Related resources
September 15, 2002 10:21:28 AM

Compaq have started shipping the Radeon Mobility 9000 but i don't kno who else.

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
September 15, 2002 9:27:17 PM

No one is shipping 9000's yet, but you can pre-order them from Compaq and Dell. It delays your order until early October. Sager/Alienware will make them available around the same time, but I haven't found any sites preordering those yet or offering an exact date.
!