[SOLVED] Hackintosh my AMD PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntern321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Hello, I have a PC that I build about a year ago for gaming and photo editing. I also have a little unibody macbook. I love OSX, but I wish my dinky little laptop had a bit more umph. I've always wanted to put a hackintosh partition on my PC, but have always snagged myself with a mess of problems and given up. My system has Phenom II 955 BE, a MA77OT-UD3P Gigabyte motherboard and a HD 4890. I'm wondering if it's even possible to hackintosh it. :??: If so, could someone please give me some help on the project.
thanks in advance. :D

Solution
10s of 1000s of people have done it...I'm on my 3rd AMD hackintosh build. Phenom X4 940 OC'd to 3.6 GHz, been running fairly solid for over a year now! Just google Hackintosh HCL (Hardware Compatibility List). There are lots of guides written also. Good luck! :hello:

kenlim

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
10s of 1000s of people have done it...I'm on my 3rd AMD hackintosh build. Phenom X4 940 OC'd to 3.6 GHz, been running fairly solid for over a year now! Just google Hackintosh HCL (Hardware Compatibility List). There are lots of guides written also. Good luck! :hello:

Solution

daship

Distinguished
Hackingtosh and AMD is tricky. I cant recommend it, As the AMD guy said above " running fairly solid."

Not good, its either solid or its not.

I build them a lot, and all mine are 100% solid, but I use Intel, and it works because Mac uses Intel as well.

You said you tried, and failed before, so you might as well give up. Its not easy like installing Windows. Also you really need to have a Nvidia video card to make it easier, so ya,don't bother with your current setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Qjrq6xKV4

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I would have to agree with the others, I have also tried it with my AMD Phenom II 940 build.... It was not solid so I gave on on that rig. I did however get a Q9550 and a Gigabyte board that doesn't need ICP or any of the other hacked versions to install. It will take a straight Snow disc and install with the help of a few programs for the boot loader. It updates as it should and runs stable. I have found on my Amd builds and laptops I enjoy running Ubuntu 10.04 along with Windows 7 and with cairo dock I can make it look just like a mac with a dock theme with one click of a button.

Good luck

ikip

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

n
nI am contemplating the AMD Hackintosh build i have been doing some research and found that the problems where specific to the kernels being used. Evidently there is a new Kernel the "Modbin" Kernel.
n
nHere is a link:
n
nhttp://www.hackersenigma.com/ethical-hacking/top-5-hackintosh-tutorials-for-installing-mac-snow-leopard-on-a-pc/
n
nI would be really excited if i had some more assurance that this could be pulled off with out too much trouble though it looks like many of you are running into problems.. I am a 20 year Apple user but have recently discovered Linux which looks like a very viable alternative. I know I will probably be using Windows 7 "just because" To get my system up and running and stable.I used to feel like a fringe user but now the tides are turning fast.. Apple is becoming mainstream. I suspect though its only speculation that Jobs may be contemplating making availble to the masses distrubutions of OSX that will comply with what ever system you decide to build. The reason i say this is because Linux is upping its game as the Droid OS ( I have a Droid Captivate TYVM) is stellar in speed, gui, and every other application you can think of. Having said al that hats off to al you Die hard hackers and thank you for reading my post.
n
nHere's what my build consists of thus far:
n
nCPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition (Locked 955 Quad Core) 3.2ghz
nMO/BO: ASUS M4A89 GTD -PRO AM3
nPSU: Corsair TX 750
nRAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
nSTORAGE: 1.) Primary* SAMSUNG 470 Series MZ-5PA128/US 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
n 2.) Secondary* Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
n
nDrive Bay's:
n1.) SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM
n
nCASE:Corsair Graphite Series 600T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.
n*****
nI haven't picked out a GPU yet Im still trying to decide what will work best with this set up. I believe the Board supports Crossfire but i want to start off slow with a conservative GPU that will give me some fun but wont break the bank.
n
nIf you have any information will be most helpful. Thank you
n~ iKip

ptesone

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
my AMD phenom quad core runs sweet with Snow Leopard 10.6.4
and it's on an XFX nForce motherboard, using SATA's only (in AHCI mode)

I don't know what everyone else is talking about. . .It's really not that big of a deal

I made a custom boot CD (boot 132 they call it) to do a retail install of Leopard 10.5.6 and then installed snow leopard (retail) onto another drive using what they call the .mpkg way that I followed from ihackintosh.com

any way, good luck to ya!

huntern321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Ok, i've been having this trouble for sometime.. boot loaders that i have tried to use never work for me.. the computer always restarts before mac os x installer boots. what must i do to fix this?

funkytwig

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Could some of the people who have it working please post a link to the instructions they used (I have been looking but cant find any). The general consensus seems to be AMD Hackingtosh is difficult and does not give a stable system. I would love to be proved wrong.

Ben

tcan753

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Could you please share a little more detail on how you were able to run OS X on your AMD PC? Where did you find instructions for making the "custom boot CD"? What changes did you make? Thanks.

gusduenas

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Do you mind to tell me the build you have used to run snow leopard on amds?

Gustavo

gusduenas

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Do you mind to tell me the build you have used to run snow leopard on amds?

Gustavo

m4f1050

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I have been running OS X for 5 years on PC's... on AMD (2 builds) and on Intel (3 builds) <-- and YES, it is WAY easier on Intel, you can even use Retail 10.6.3 DVD for Intel (not for AMD) and then update to 10.6.8.. I even installed Leopard 10.5.2 on an OQO Model 02! My first hackingtosh! :)

Im actually posting from my 2nd AMD build (latest one) on Snow Leopard 10.6.8

For AMD you need to search torrents for an install DVD (google: s3 10.6.3) and download modified kernel (google: legacy kernel 10.8.0 v2) and install the right kexts and enablers from the install DVD. If you are not sure about a kext or enabler do not install it, less kernel panics to worry about, you can always install them later in single user mode.

Non Intel/AMD: VIA C7-M (umpc)

1st AMD build: AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ (desktop)
2nd AMD build: AMD Phenom II X4 940 (desktop)

1st Intel build: Intel Core2 6600 (desktop)
2nd Intel build: Intel Core2 Duo T5300 (Toshiba A205 laptop)
3rd Intel build: Intel Core2 Duo T7300 (IBM Lenovo T61p laptop)

mhenri2200

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I got it working in my eMachines little PC.
Specs were: AMD Athlon x64 single core
Nvidia 65** or something integrated video.

I had a lot of problems but at the end I got Leopard and SL working.

In conclusion: if you have the time and effort the test a lot of builds and driver combinations then you might get it working...otherwise go for an Intel cpu, if you plan to go with OSX.

dtallon13

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2013
Since you guys seem to be experienced, can you help me get Mavericks working on my Compaq Presario V2000? The only reason I specified Mavericks is because I found a free beta version at imdzl.com.

Matt Moncrief

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Try using niresh distro, It is a little quirky but works solid. The only problems you should have is the normal. Internet, sound and getting the graphics card to be seen by mac. I use it on amd as well as intel. A lot easier to install on intel but it is not so bad on amd. Just don't give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.