good place to buy Cingular GSM phone without contract?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 16, 2005 8:25:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

I have 3 GSM lines on a family plan with a year+ left on the contract.
My daughter would like a new phone but:

- I'm not that crazy about their service and the lack of GSM service for
the vast areas of AZ outside of GSM range. My previous AT&T TDMA phones
also roamed onto analog, greatly expanding the coverage area.

- I'm not sure that I even qualify for an upgrade yet

So, I'm not crazy about lengthening my contract.

What are good places to buy cell phones without a contract? She's not
looking for any thing fancy, just a speakerphone and no camera. I've
thought about eBay but I'm worried that any used phone might be buying
someone else's problems. If it wasn't a Cingular phone to begin with and
is unlocked what am I giving up by it not having "Cingular" programming.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:57:35 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:25:54 -0700, Jerry wrote:

> I have 3 GSM lines on a family plan with a year+ left on the contract. My
> daughter would like a new phone but:
>
> - I'm not that crazy about their service and the lack of GSM service for
> the vast areas of AZ outside of GSM range. My previous AT&T TDMA phones
> also roamed onto analog, greatly expanding the coverage area.
>
> - I'm not sure that I even qualify for an upgrade yet
>
> So, I'm not crazy about lengthening my contract.
>
> What are good places to buy cell phones without a contract? She's not
> looking for any thing fancy, just a speakerphone and no camera. I've
> thought about eBay but I'm worried that any used phone might be buying
> someone else's problems. If it wasn't a Cingular phone to begin with and
> is unlocked what am I giving up by it not having "Cingular" programming.

If you want a GSM phone without a camera, it may be more likely that the
phones are OK on Ebay, since even the "free" phones with contracts
nowadays have cameras.

I could have used a phone like this recently while away on business since
the company I was at didn't allow cameras in the building. So I had to
leave my phone out in the car. If I was to do this again in the future, I
may buy a cheap phone for this case.
July 17, 2005 4:02:21 AM

"Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 GSM lines on a family plan with a year+ left on the contract. My
>daughter would like a new phone but:
>
> - I'm not that crazy about their service and the lack of GSM service for
> the vast areas of AZ outside of GSM range. My previous AT&T TDMA phones
> also roamed onto analog, greatly expanding the coverage area.
>
> - I'm not sure that I even qualify for an upgrade yet
>
> So, I'm not crazy about lengthening my contract.
>
> What are good places to buy cell phones without a contract? She's not
> looking for any thing fancy, just a speakerphone and no camera. I've
> thought about eBay but I'm worried that any used phone might be buying
> someone else's problems. If it wasn't a Cingular phone to begin with and
> is unlocked what am I giving up by it not having "Cingular" programming.

You can get new phones on ebay. Check out a Nokia 6010. You should be able
to get it for about $50 - $60 new, including shipping charges. WATCH
SHIPPING CHARGES. They should be no more than $15, MAXIMUM. I've seen some
shipping charges on ebay for similar phones of 40-50 bucks, which is clearly
a huge ripoff for something so light (even with charger).

You shouldn't have to worry about it not being a Cingular phone, as there
are many cingular phones available. But if it's not Cingular, that means
that it might come up with someone else's logo when you first turn it on.
But the SIM will determine what network(s) it connects to. That is,
assuming it is unlocked. -Dave
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 17, 2005 4:02:22 AM

Dave wrote:
> You shouldn't have to worry about it not being a Cingular phone, as there
> are many cingular phones available. But if it's not Cingular, that means
> that it might come up with someone else's logo when you first turn it on.
> But the SIM will determine what network(s) it connects to. That is,
> assuming it is unlocked. -Dave

The thing I was wondering about was that Cingular wasn't allowing ATTWS
GSM customers to move their ATTWS phones to Cingular. Something about
the Cingular programming allowing more/better network access than the
ATTWS programming would.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 12:06:35 AM

Jerry wrote:
> I have 3 GSM lines on a family plan with a year+ left on the contract.
> My daughter would like a new phone but:
>
> - I'm not that crazy about their service and the lack of GSM service for
> the vast areas of AZ outside of GSM range. My previous AT&T TDMA phones
> also roamed onto analog, greatly expanding the coverage area.
>
> - I'm not sure that I even qualify for an upgrade yet
>
> So, I'm not crazy about lengthening my contract.
>
> What are good places to buy cell phones without a contract? She's not
> looking for any thing fancy, just a speakerphone and no camera. I've
> thought about eBay but I'm worried that any used phone might be buying
> someone else's problems. If it wasn't a Cingular phone to begin with and
> is unlocked what am I giving up by it not having "Cingular" programming.
I have done three mot's this way from established e-bay'r's. new in box
have not had any prob's
E-Bay has my vote
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:14:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

I have two Cingular phones from Ebay and one the was unlocked from
another company. I have had not problems with any of them. Your
account "programming" is in the sim chip. Pop it in and you are done.
I usually look for new in box cingular phones, they cost a little more
but then you dont buy other peoples problems.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:25:54 -0700, Jerry <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I have 3 GSM lines on a family plan with a year+ left on the contract.
>My daughter would like a new phone but:
>
>- I'm not that crazy about their service and the lack of GSM service for
>the vast areas of AZ outside of GSM range. My previous AT&T TDMA phones
>also roamed onto analog, greatly expanding the coverage area.
>
>- I'm not sure that I even qualify for an upgrade yet
>
>So, I'm not crazy about lengthening my contract.
>
>What are good places to buy cell phones without a contract? She's not
>looking for any thing fancy, just a speakerphone and no camera. I've
>thought about eBay but I'm worried that any used phone might be buying
>someone else's problems. If it wasn't a Cingular phone to begin with and
>is unlocked what am I giving up by it not having "Cingular" programming.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:57:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

In <TOadnfLuMs7WNkDfRVn-jA@comcast.com> on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:39:22 -0500,
"SPR" <spreimers@hotmail.remove-me.com> wrote:

>Is there any way to tell whether a phone will accept a 64K SIM chip? I have
>a Siemens S56 that I used all the time until my contract ended - it's
>unlocked but I don't know if it will work on a 64K SIM if I were to get a
>pay-as-you-go account from T-Mobile or Cingular... Are they 64K?

Only the newest handsets are ENS-capable, generally speaking those sold by
Cingular in the past 7-8 months.

July 24, 2005 9:58:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

I bought mine at www.cellhut.com

"Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have 3 GSM lines on a family plan with a year+ left on the contract. My
>daughter would like a new phone but:
>
> - I'm not that crazy about their service and the lack of GSM service for
> the vast areas of AZ outside of GSM range. My previous AT&T TDMA phones
> also roamed onto analog, greatly expanding the coverage area.
>
> - I'm not sure that I even qualify for an upgrade yet
>
> So, I'm not crazy about lengthening my contract.
>
> What are good places to buy cell phones without a contract? She's not
> looking for any thing fancy, just a speakerphone and no camera. I've
> thought about eBay but I'm worried that any used phone might be buying
> someone else's problems. If it wasn't a Cingular phone to begin with and
> is unlocked what am I giving up by it not having "Cingular" programming.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:34:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular (More info?)

> "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>I have 3 GSM lines on a family plan with a year+ left on the contract. My
>>daughter would like a new phone but:
>>
>> - I'm not that crazy about their service and the lack of GSM service for
>> the vast areas of AZ outside of GSM range. My previous AT&T TDMA phones
>> also roamed onto analog, greatly expanding the coverage area.
>>
>> - I'm not sure that I even qualify for an upgrade yet
>>
>> So, I'm not crazy about lengthening my contract.
>>
>> What are good places to buy cell phones without a contract? She's not
>> looking for any thing fancy, just a speakerphone and no camera. I've
>> thought about eBay but I'm worried that any used phone might be buying
>> someone else's problems. If it wasn't a Cingular phone to begin with and
>> is unlocked what am I giving up by it not having "Cingular" programming.

A good place to go is http://www.myworldphone.com/. Also, Amazon
(http://www.amazon.com) sells them without the contract. I recently got a
spare phone from them and was very happy with it.
!