Sign in with
Your question

EVGA GTX 580 3GB Stock or Classified?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2012 8:36:28 PM

Hello guys, I am in search of a good GPU for playing games on my 37''- 42''(haven't decided yet)
LG Full-HD passive 3DTV (that I'm gonna buy) in 1080p and 3D. DX11 games like Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, Batman Arkham City etc.
and moddable games like GTA IV, Fallout 3 & NV etc.(with ENB, customs textures and what not). :ange: 

I'm gonna use the 3DTV PLAY software from Nvidia.

I've done a search and have found 2 candidates:
1) EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB (470€)
2) EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB Classified (490€) :love: 

Should I go for the classified one? I have read that this card is a beast and overclocks in super-high levels,
but is more usefull for benchmark geeks and crazy overclockers! :pt1cable:  (or am I wrong? :whistle:  )

As I mentioned before I'm going to use the GPU mostly on HD gaming in 3D.
So basically the difference is 20€!!! :bounce: 

The rest of the rig is: Asus Rampage III Formula, i7-950(stock for now), 6gb 1800mhz ram, 120gb SSD/ 1Tb HDD, 1000W modular CM.
I have 1 out-take and 2 in-take fans on my CM Storm Scout.

In the near future I'm going to install watercooling (Corsair H80-H100, depends if it fits in the case) for CPU overclocking.

Thanks in advance! :D 

January 14, 2012 9:16:35 PM

That is definitely a baller card. If you want top of the line, though, I'd go with the new HD 7970 from AMD. XFX has a "black version" or edition or whatever that's pre-oc'ed and comes with two oversized cooling fans installed. The pre-OC is not very big for me, but having those two fans makes it seem like you could overclock it even more. Unfortunately, it is brand new so there isn't much info on OC'ing it yet, much less the black edition. It beats the 580 in stock benchmark tests, and it also uses PCI 3.0 which is kinda cool. Admittedly, the PCI 3 thing doesn't do much, but if you're stuck with a mobo that has the one card installed = x16 but two cards installed = x8/x8 it could help.

Bottom line: the XFX black edition HD 7970 is smaller, cools better, performs noticeably better (check the benchmarks here at Tom's) and is cheaper than that classified version GTX 580 (473 euros). It also has the potential to make up for some of your mobo's shortcomings :) 
Related resources
January 14, 2012 10:05:06 PM

Just thought I'd add here that the XFX Black Edition has a really low-noise fan design at load (~41 db); though that PhysX stuff looks sweet.
January 15, 2012 12:54:24 AM

Who really cares about PhysX? The 7970 is much better than the GTX 580. If you need an Nvidia card, wait for Kepler.
January 15, 2012 9:27:23 AM

Bottom line: the XFX black edition HD 7970 is smaller, cools better, performs noticeably better (check the benchmarks here at Tom's) and is cheaper than that classified version GTX 580 (473 euros).

Can you tell me where did you find the card for 473€? My mobo is an Asus Rampage III Formula, so no PCIe-3.0 for me! :whistle: 
January 15, 2012 9:35:56 AM

Koolg223 said:
Who really cares about PhysX? The 7970 is much better than the GTX 580. If you need an Nvidia card, wait for Kepler.

Well, I just sold my old Evga GTX 470 SC+ so I am in a ''hurry'' about buying a GPU. As I see the new Kepler-based GPUs from Nvidia will not come out until March-April 2012. Also I chose the EVGA one because they have the step-up program and if I am in time I could use that to upgrade to kepler-based gtx 680(or whatever it'll be called).

Thanks for your advice! ;) 
January 15, 2012 9:47:39 AM

I forgot to mention that I'm going to use HDMI to connect my PC to the 3DTV for gaming. Is there any chance of quality loss if I chose the classified one (which doesn't have an HDMI port) and use the DVI to HDMI convertor?
a c 644 U Graphics card
January 15, 2012 3:55:43 PM

cyber_marco said:
I forgot to mention that I'm going to use HDMI to connect my PC to the 3DTV for gaming. Is there any chance of quality loss if I chose the classified one (which doesn't have an HDMI port) and use the DVI to HDMI convertor?

There is no loss of video quality. The ONLY difference is that HDMI carries an audio signal (if you use speakers that are integrated into your monitor). I'm still leaning against the Classified version due to the noisy cooler.

I do agree with you on the idea of going with Nvidia 3D Play/3D Vision 2 for 3D gaming and video. Nvidia 3D setups offer the advantage of better drivers and hardware compatibility due to the fact that the individual components are all designed to work together and actually developed by Nvidia.

If you are going 3D, then be sure the research the Nvidia 3D Vision 2 setup. You'll need to make sure that your TV/monitor is certified:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requireme...
January 15, 2012 4:05:34 PM

Thanks for your help. I already made a research about TV compatibility and the one that I'm gonna purchase is compatible!

Thanks for your help.
January 15, 2012 5:23:32 PM

If you're still interested in the 7970, newegg has it online for $599, which I took the liberty of converting to 473 euro. Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

It's a bit more, but I couldn't wait (since it is currently out of stock on Newegg), so I bought it here for $624:

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/XFX-FX-797A-TNBC_289_33228.html

Found that website through the XFX certified vendors page on their website, so it's legit.
!