Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hey guys so i need help choosing which VGA card i should get, know i was first choosing between GTX 580 or HD 7970 i have always liked Nvidia better but if AMD is the way to go then so be it, now the thing is with the new next gen Nvidia cards Kepler, i dont wanna wait so long just to get a new card but whats your advise.

So for my Motherboard i picked ASUS P8Z68-M PRO now i dont know if this can take SLi GTX 580 or HD 7970 or what ever card i pick. Should i pick a higher one or...... Oh and yeah where i am buying my parts they dont Supply EVGA parts??? But not big problem cause here in Australia we dont get life time warrenty and pay almost double the price :fou:

So these are my PC Specs:

Intel i7 2600k
Cooler Master HAF X
Corsair H80 Water Cooled
ASUS P8Z68-M PRO
HD 7970 (Sapphire/GIGABYTE)/GTX 580 (MSi/ASUS or any other good ones0
Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) CM286X3M2A1600C8 DDR3 1600MHz Unbuffered Vengeance Memory (Will that work with i7 2600k or MOBO, Do i need more or is that enough for Gaming)
Western Digital Carviar Black 1TB/500GB (OS,Important Filed)
Western Digital Carviar Green 2TB
LG DVD burner/Reader (any decent one)
Corsair 850w AX-850

Thanks

Solution
The 7970 is currently the best value available for a high-end card. Kepler and further 7000-series cards may do better, but it's the best thing around now, and I'd go that way.
No, that motherboard won't do. Its second PCIe slot can only do x4, which is not enough for a high-end card. If you provide a good Australian site, I'll find you a decent board, as I've found that price patterns don't always carry over between countries.

Are those parts you've already bought? If not, skip the H80 (unnecessary) and trade it for a Hyper 212 EVO or a Scythe Mugen 3, maybe get a cheaper case (unless you particularly like the look of the X), and wait on the 2TB drive (HDD prices are going to go back down, but the aftereffects of the Thai floods...
The 7970 is currently the best value available for a high-end card. Kepler and further 7000-series cards may do better, but it's the best thing around now, and I'd go that way.
No, that motherboard won't do. Its second PCIe slot can only do x4, which is not enough for a high-end card. If you provide a good Australian site, I'll find you a decent board, as I've found that price patterns don't always carry over between countries.

Are those parts you've already bought? If not, skip the H80 (unnecessary) and trade it for a Hyper 212 EVO or a Scythe Mugen 3, maybe get a cheaper case (unless you particularly like the look of the X), and wait on the 2TB drive (HDD prices are going to go back down, but the aftereffects of the Thai floods still have them way up). Last year a 2tb drive was $100, and now it's $160. Next year it'll be back down.

Solution

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Hey thanks for the fast reply,

So for the HD 7970 there are only two options i can go with seeing that they only have GIGABYTE and Sapphire HD 7970 left. since they are very similar i like the looks of the gigabyte they changed the face of it with stickers :D

And the website is www.arc.com.au seems like the website is down for a while :(

umm that website which is a Physical Shop. Has almost all MOBO so just tell me which ones are good and i dont think 1 years wait is worth $60 :kaola:

Thanks,

Do you think you'll use up a terabyte in one year? I don't. If you plan to stuff it full of full-length movies, go for it, but you won't be doing without anything if you just stick to the one drive for a while.

The P8Z68 Extreme3 would be a good, cheap option, but you could go with something nicer on a build this expensive. Check out the MSI Z68-GD80.

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Thanks i will check it out your right i will go with just one HDD 1TB Carviar black just under $100, then might get ma self a SSD for OS and games and 1TB for everything else thanks :) Checkin out the MOBO.

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hmm it looks pretty good just under $300 here in AUS, and i know what you mean if im choosing these high parts better to pay a lil extra for the better MOBO cause its the Body of the PC lol fail was gonna say heart or Brain thats CPU but yeah :D

Two. If you want 3-way SLI (which is not usually practical, as it doesn't scale as well as two-way), you'll basically have to go with the Z68 Extreme7, which is very expensive ($USD 270, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157269).

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

The shop does not have the GD80, would you go with the

ASrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68
or
ASrock Fatal1ty Z68

Which ones better?

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Just found out that my motherboard that i first picked was ASUS P8Z68-V PRO,

Now see i want a Motherboard that will last me $50 diff who really cares. But if i really wont need it your right, so will that Gigabyte handle 2x 7970 or GTX 580, or any other nextgen cards for the next few years?

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Oh yeah and i might change the case too, but to what i want a case that is big to fit all full length cards, and if possible i would really like a full side viewing window, and the case to be based on blue lights :D

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Ok so right now i am actually going with a HAF X, MSi GTX 580 OC (1.5GB is that enough for a maximum of 1920x1080?), ASrock Z68 Fatal1ty (For futerproof :kaola: ) ohh and my PSU is Corsair AX-850

gamingrigboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

So is 1.5gb enough for one screen 1920x1080

Status
Not open for further replies.