Forum posts ... from the future?

Another database oddity? Or something more sinister?

prithivira​ja's topic on his Dell Vostro 1440 has a reply posted on 11-10-2011 at 02:00 PM
Even though it's not yet 10am on the 10th (local system display time).
smokeynich​ol's topic has a reply with the correct time stamp made around the same time.

If it had shown a 5pm time stamp I would have just chalked that up to UK server antics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have seen it report post times from other time zones for me too, i have yet to figure out why it does it but the post in the thread is usually dated correctly. It would appear it reported from GMT-3 which I believe is mostly the middle of the Atlantic so im not sure where it pulled that timezone from.

Some days i feel like the system just goes crazy, then gets better by lunch.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
This has actually been ongoing for a long time. For example, right now, in my part of the world map, it's 6:42 AM. That's Central Time. When I post this message, I'll see the time, not as 6:42 AM, but 7:42 AM, pointing to the east coast (Eastern Time). It's like this everywhere I've seen. In addition, there doesn't seem to be a user preference to adjust the time zone (from the UTC standard), rather strange as pretty much every forum allows you to offset the time.

It's been going on since we changed our clocks back in the Spring. Putting them back isn't going to change anything. Last evening I read a post at around seven thirty that showed it was posted at 00:14 this morning.

It seems some localisations take their own settings and they take priority over our individual settings.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
This issue could easily be resolved if the forum software had a time zone offset (like almost any other forum software does) that refers to the UTC time. For example, if it's 5:00 PM UTC and you're on the east coast, the time shown should be 11:00 AM, regardless of the server's location, provided the user sets the -6 time zone. Why this otherwise standard feature is missing from these forums, that I don't know. It's rather strange.