No display on monitor

DrShlub

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
So I recently built my own computer, for the first time, and when I first plugged it in everything seemed fine, the LEDs on the case, motherboard and graphics card (On these particular components they indicate that it is recieving power, please correct me if I'm wrong) were working, and all the fans (Including PSU, CPU and GPU fans) were working. When I first plugged in the the monitor it reported no signal, assuming I had mistaken the single link DVI-I for the dual link (Or vice-versa) I swapped the adaptor for the other type, same problem. I also tried plugging in my mouse, keyboard and speakers as all of them have some form of light on them and none of them lit up. I opened my computer back up to look around for the problem, plugged in my mobo speaker and removed my RAM. no sound was produced, I even plugged the speaker in the opposite way to make sure that wasn't the problem.
Thus I beseech you, please help me solve this problem.
My specs are:
Asus P8H67 R3 H67 ATX Motherboard
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V unbuffered
Seagate 1TB 3.5" Barracuda SATA III 6Gb/s HDD 7200RPM 32 MB Cache
Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
Corsair TX 650W Modular PSU
Inter Core i5 2400 3.1GHz 6MB L3 cache
If a picture of my wiring would help I can go grab a few as well.

The wiring pictures would help just so I can see if everything is in there right.

Just to make sure, you did plug the video cable and all the power cables into the 560 ti, right?

If so, the first thing I suggest you do is put the video cable directly into the motherboard port and take the 560TI out of the slot. Then try to turn it on and tell me what happens.

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Agreed, plugging your monitor into the on-board video will at least give you an idea of if the display works.

But what about the 2 x 6-pin aux power plugs for your card? Were those plugged in solidly?

It could also be that you need to go into the BIOS (likely with your monitor plugged into on-board video for this step) and either disable on-board video or tell your system to use the PEG adapter first.

All the models of P8H67 I can find (except 1 with "Green" written on there) have DVI and HDMI built into the motherboard and the 2400 has HD 2000 graphics.

Is the "Green" one the one you happen to have?

DrShlub

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Well is certainly doesn't have an HDMI or DVI port, but nowhere on the box do I see "Green" written on it, so I don't know.
It does have S-Video though.

DrShlub

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I grabbed the graphics card from my old computer and replaced my 560ti with it, turning on the computer, however, showed no change. The fan on this card also worked, it required no external power connectors and there was still no display, so I'm fairly certain the fault does not lie with the GPU.
Looking up my motherboard also reveals it is in fact the "Green" model.

You said this was your first computer build, yet you had a prior computer you could borrow a graphics card from.

What sort of computer was the old one?

Was it an OEM like HP or Dell that had a graphics card in it?

If it was, what is the maker/model number?

Regardless of what kind it was, try the PSU from the old card in the new computer and see what happens.

Still tell me the info from the old computer regardless of what happens with this test.

DrShlub

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
It was an old pre-built HP computer, that no longer functions properly (unrelated to the graphics card). I do not remember the exact specs but it used an AMD processor and had a non modular 300W PSU.
I'm not sure what you mean by get the PSU from the old card, but if you mean from the old computer it's not gonna provide enough power even if i use the old card.

Pepto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

I noticed some scary things you have done on your wiring. Your CPU fan is not plugged into the right fan header, it should be plug into the one at the top of the motherboard that says "CPU_FAN". If it is in any other fan header, the fan will usually run at max speed all the time.

Also I am very unsure why you connected a molex to some sort of adapter that plugs it into the fan header, I dont know if it is suppose to be like that or not.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there could have been a short somewhere. If the motherboard doesn't beep once when you turn the computer on, than it isn't posting and may be DOA/Dead

I meant the PSU that was being used with the old card, the one from the other computer, yes.

Regardless whether it sounds like it might work or not, you should still try it.

Also, if it were a short, I would expect that it would turn on and show some tiny sign of life and then immediately turn right back off.

It isn't doing that, but you can still test if it is short related by just breadboarding. Just take everything out of the case and put it on a wooden table and plug everything back in and try to turn it on and see what happens. You will need a screw driver or something similar to do this as you will have to touch it to both pins listed as PWR_BTN in the motherboard manual in order to simulate what happens when you push the power button.

Sorry if that is already done, but I scanned back through the thread quickly and didn't see that it was. If it wasn't already done, then I would highly suggest doing it just to try to further rule out shorts as a problem cause.

At this point it kinda sounds like DOA hardware to me, though.

Ruling out what exactly that is would require hardware that can be switched in, like the before mentioned old PSU. If the new PSU is bad, the old one should show at least some tiny sign of life when you try to turn the computer on, even if it shuts back off.

If the new and old PSUs show different symptoms, it could point to a problem cause.

TRENDING THREADS