Sign in with
Your question

Help with part selection

Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2012 7:45:24 PM

Not being a hardware person i am asking the community for help selecting parts for a machine that will be custom built for me.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within next month

Budget Range: $1800-2000 Canadian/US after taxes

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic designing, Gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com (Canadian sites perfered)

Parts Preferences: Nvidia GFX Cards, I have never tried Intel and always have gone AMD. I have to admit I am sick of hot running processors so im willing to try anything as long as it is cool and quiet.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 current.

Additional Comments: I design a lot of graphics and even though this not where i will usually work on them It will be still important part. I'm enjoy a few games and i admit I am an eye candy lover. I am looking for quality and performance in a computer that will run cool and quiet. I do not know if there is a case out there that can repel dust but my current computers environment seems to be quite dusty.

More about : part selection

March 20, 2012 9:37:39 PM

Hyper 212
Gigabyte Z68
CT2KIT51264BA1339 x 2
HD 7970
XFX 750w
HAF 912
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Asus 24x
Crucial M4 128 GB
Windows 7 Professional x64

That should about cover everything.

Nvidia graphics card... I guess you can get a high end Quadro card if you wanted, or a GTX 590, but ATI has recently released all its new cards and Nvidia still hasn't released any of their current generation cards yet.

Basically, AMD is a whole generation ahead of Nvidia right now, so the Nvidia cards are less powerful and use more powerful than current generation AMD cards do.

You can do what you like, but I would suggest you try out the 7970.

The AMD processors can't even compete with Intel right now, you might even say they are 2 generations behind and about to be 3 generations behind when Ivy Bridge comes out soon.

I definitely would not get an AMD processor if I were you. The 2600k is very good for top of the line graphics stuff.
m
l
!