Sign in with
Your question
Solved

95 degrees i5 2500k on idle ( with aftermarket cooler)?!?!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
July 4, 2012 5:45:32 AM

hi,

im in a really bad situation here. i recently bought a new pc, an i5 2500k rig. i had planned to do some mild overclocking ( 3.8-4.0 ghz), but the stock HSF couldnt even handle stock frequencies. it was about 45 degrees on idle, and 75-80 on load. i decided to get an aftermarket cooler. now, this might sound a bit stupid but....... i did get an aftermarket cooler, but i have NO idea which one it is. all i know its a cooler master. anyways on the new cooler, the temps are about 90-98 degrees on idle! :o  :cry: 

is the new cooler really THAT bad, or has the guy in my local shop screwed up while installing it?

PLEASE help guys!

thanks.

More about : degrees 2500k idle aftermarket cooler

a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 5:51:48 AM

Souinds like he screwed up! Can you see if it's a pushpin type or secured from the back of the mobo? The pushpin ones are notorious for misalignment of the two surfaces....
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 5:55:01 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
F or C?

Good question! If it's 'F', no worries...
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:11:46 AM

dodger46 said:
Good question! If it's 'F', no worries...

It's a C. :cry: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 6:20:29 AM

With temps like that either the surfaces are badly misaligned, too much paste applied or fan not running...

And i hope you consulted two monitoring devices to check temps reported accurately...
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:33:09 AM

dodger46 said:
With temps like that either the surfaces are badly misaligned, too much paste applied or fan not running...

The fan does run. Sometimes the temperature drops down to 75-78 degrees, but than suddenly jumps to ~89, sometimes it stays at 89, sometimes it drops back to 69. Core temp also shows me that my pc is under load, even when I'm not doing anything. Core 0 has 25 percent load, core 2 has around 30 percent, core 3 and 4 have 50-70 percent. Sometimes all of the cores drastically change readings, like they go from 50 percent load to 0, or vice versa. All of this never happened on the stock fan. But this doesn't happen every time I boot my pc(cores showing load).
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:48:54 AM

Maybe, thanks, I'll try it after I'm done with my work. I'll be back in about 20 mins, please don't abandon the thread.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 7:22:38 AM

The person who put it on didn't do it right is my guess there no way your temps would be that high i bet they didn't apply the paste right either. :pfff: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 7:26:45 AM

bigcyco1 said:
The person who put it on didn't do it right is my guess there no way your temps would be that high i bet they didn't apply the paste right either. :pfff: 

That's what I'm thinking, time to get the covers off and get dirty, or take it back to the shop...but would you trust them again?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 7:29:43 AM

First, find out which cooler it is. There are no one universal way to apply thermal paste. Competing designs and cooling philosophies make sure that there are always different methods of applying TP.

Do it yourself. Much quicker and more painless than you would think. Also gives you a test of patience and a little knowledge of what's inside a computer. Win, Win.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 7:35:08 AM

lilotimz said:
First, find out which cooler it is. There are no one universal way to apply thermal paste. Competing designs and cooling philosophies make sure that there are always different methods of applying TP.

Do it yourself. Much quicker and more painless than you would think. Also gives you a test of patience and a little knowledge of what's inside a computer. Win, Win.
+1 :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 7:42:27 AM

dodger46 said:
That's what I'm thinking, time to get the covers off and get dirty, or take it back to the shop...but would you trust them again?
I would do it yourself if you need help we can guide you it's not hard ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 7:43:24 AM

Moeed said:
Maybe, thanks, I'll try it after I'm done with my work. I'll be back in about 20 mins, please don't abandon the thread.

Plenty help available, but would help if you posted your Mobo model. Also figure out how your cooler is mounted, I'm not familiar with Intel fittings, don't know if Coolermaster supply a pushpin fitting, better with a backplate. Also disturbed by the fact that the stock fan wasn't coping either!
m
l
July 4, 2012 7:43:58 AM

thanks for all of your replies! i tried speccy, and it also showed temps of 96 degrees Celsius. well, i guess i will try and re-install the cooler myself. uh, im saying this because im a bit lazy to do it myself, but could anyone of you send a link to a guide? if not, thats alright.
m
l
July 4, 2012 7:47:00 AM

dodger46 said:
Plenty help available, but would help if you posted your Mobo model. Also figure out how your cooler is mounted, I'm not familiar with Intel fittings, don't know if Coolermaster supply a pushpin fitting, better with a backplate. Also disturbed by the fact that the stock fan wasn't coping either!

mobo is msi z68a g45 b3
i cant figure out if the cooler is properly mounted, because this is my first ever build and im an extreme noob at this. i took a few pictures with my webcam(handycam N/A). if you guys can figure it out, please tell me if the position is right.

pics:

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 8:24:41 AM

I can't really tell from that! Does removing the other cover from your case expose the base of the mobo, and if so can you see if there's a metal base plate under the CPU or four conical shaped pushpin bases?
Perhaps someone with more Intel experience will have a better idea. (AMDs myself!)

m
l
July 4, 2012 8:44:17 AM

it look like a cm hyper 212 +....
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 8:51:33 AM

panwala95 said:
it look like a cm hyper 212 +....

And if you're right the OP should see a base plate on the base of the mobo, and Coolermaster provide a video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq_xbxsm7Q
m
l
July 4, 2012 9:02:52 AM

heres the back cover taken off:

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 9:12:48 AM

Well, it's a backplate, but doesn't look like the one in the 212 video...
m
l
July 4, 2012 9:28:02 AM

dodger46 said:
Well, it's a backplate, but doesn't look like the one in the 212 video...

Yeah, i know............here are a few close up pics, hope someone will be able to identify the cooler:

m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 11:22:48 AM

Definitely not a 212. If you can work out how the fan is attached to the heatsink and remove it, this would give you access to the four philips screws holding the sink to the base plate. Once removed it is imperative that both cpu and sink surfaces are cleaned thoroughly. Most use alcohol, but you can get a kit which has both cleaning fluids and Arctic 5 paste which comes highly recommended. There are various methods of applying the paste, some examples here
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
The object is to apply enough to completely cover one surface. Personally I use a blob about the size of a pea and use a piece of credit card to evenly spread the paste.
If you discover that the heatsink is held in place with push pins rather than screws consider replacing the cooler... The plan is to mate the two surfaces as evenly as possible, and the push pins have been known to fail in this. Hope this helps.
July 4, 2012 11:33:27 AM

Thank you very much dodger46 and the rest
m
l
July 4, 2012 11:35:26 AM

Best answer selected by Moeed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 11:42:20 AM

When you do remove the heatsink check the base of the heatsink to ensure the plastic film has been removed. I've known some heatsinks to ship with one and it's not that hard to miss it.

Most heatsinks ship with a hard plastic cover which cannot be missed.
m
l
July 4, 2012 12:14:38 PM

I was thinking that it is unlikely that the temperature of the actual heat-sink is 96 degrees Celsius. There may be a way to easy test for this. Myself, I would touch it, while under load.

Those copper heat-pipes are conductors for transferring from the CPU plate to the heat-sink. It could be either a miss-mount or a malfunctioning cooler.
m
l
!