Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1500 Gaming / CS5 Rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 20, 2012 8:16:01 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: This week unless a Kepler release date is given and it's in the near future.

Budget Range: $1500 after rebates. I would rather keep it at $1400 unless I can get a lot of bang for my buck that last $100.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, CS5, 3D applications... I'm really hoping to get a rig that can do it all. I'm getting into game design and I need it to perform well in all situations. I know there are dedicated workstation cards, but will a top of the line GTX or ATI card be able to handel these processes?

Parts Not Required: Monitors, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, OS, HD (I need a SSD, I have a spare HD for storage already.)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country: US

Parts Preferences: Intel / NVIDIA though I would probably rather go with ATI unless Kepler is released.

Overclocking: Maybe (I doubt it but maybe as the machine starts to show it's age)

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not, but it's not out of the question.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 x 2

Additional Comments: My desk has an enclosed area that would fit a mid tower but I'm guessing I probably shouldn't use it. My current computer (Dell gx620) is in there now and I leave the door open while the computer is on, but even with the door open I don't know how good the airflow is. The rear has a good sized cutout for cables but behind the cutout is my wall. What do you guys think? Also, is there a reason to go with a full size tower compared to a mid other than more space to work in? It's seems mids nowadays have everything you need.

I also noticed that Newegg has the 2700k on sale for $320 and the Corsair Carbide 500R for $120 and the Intel 520 Series Cherryville for $170 for the next 48 hours. Are these deals worth purchasing now, or should I wait and buy the whole rig together? I'm not set on these parts, just thought I would mention it.

More about : 1500 gaming cs5 rig

March 20, 2012 8:36:13 PM

Quote:
I also noticed that Newegg has the 2700k on sale for $320 and the Corsair Carbide 500R for $120 and the Intel 520 Series Cherryville for $170 for the next 48 hours. Are these deals worth purchasing now, or should I wait and buy the whole rig together? I'm not set on these parts, just thought I would mention it.


The 2700K is not a deal when the 2600K can be clocked to match or beat those speeds advertised and then some. The Intel 520 series is decent but if they're anything like my 320 is you'd be wise to avoid it due to Sandforce controller issues.

Quote:
Additional Comments: My desk has an enclosed area that would fit a mid tower but I'm guessing I probably shouldn't use it. My current computer (Dell gx620) is in there now and I leave the door open while the computer is on, but even with the door open I don't know how good the airflow is. The rear has a good sized cutout for cables but behind the cutout is my wall. What do you guys think? Also, is there a reason to go with a full size tower compared to a mid other than more space to work in? It's seems mids nowadays have everything you need.


I have my tower sitting in a cabinet underneath my TV - it's fine - it doesn't affect air flow despite that the space is a bit cramped.

Here's what I'd recommend:

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 - $104.99 ($15.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3H - $159.99
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K - $314.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz 1.5V - $84.99
SSD: 64GB Crucial M4 - $94.99
HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST 7200RPM - $109.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB GHz Edition - $359.99
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium - $99.99

Total: $1,327.89 - $25.00 MIR = $1,302.89
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 8:51:47 PM

here ya go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower: $80 (yup, mids have everything you need)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance: $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- ASUS 24X DVD Burner: $21

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A3K5 2.5" 120GB: $170 (good choice with this one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0: $185 (has the front USB3.0 connector to go with the case, as well as Crossfire/SLI support)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz: $340 (you could save $100+ if you go with the i5-2500K/2550K instead of this one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600: $40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- XFX FX-797A-TNFC Radeon HD 7970 Core Edition 3GB: $550 (can't go wrong with the best single GPU on the planet right now)

TOTAL: $1,496

and remember - if you want to go back to the $1,400 budget - you can drop the hyper-threading (not needed for games), and get the i5-2500K/i5-2550K CPU instead...
m
0
l
Related resources
March 20, 2012 8:53:42 PM

wasupmike said:

and remember - if you want to go back to the $1,400 budget - you can drop the hyper-threading (not needed for games), and get the i5-2500K/i5-2550K CPU instead...


OP is going to be running CS5 - so yes this is one exception where hyper threading and 16GB are needed. I'd avoid the 2550K as it disables the onboard video and is a slightly slower clock than the 2500K is.
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 8:59:50 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'd avoid the 2550K as it disables the onboard video and is a slightly slower clock than the 2500K is.


the 2550K is actually just a 100MHz speed bump up (not down), from the 2500K...
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 9:00:20 PM

Will I have any problems running 3d applications (maya / 3ds max) or video editing with the 7970?
m
0
l
March 20, 2012 9:02:20 PM

Also, what do you guys think of the NZXT Phantom 410? I'm looking / hoping for a "semi" quite setup.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 1:12:31 AM

HEADSHOTPUNK said:
Will I have any problems running 3d applications (maya / 3ds max) or video editing with the 7970?


nope
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 1:16:43 AM

Maya? Well, Maya works a LOT better with Tesla/Quadro/FirePro, than gaming cards like the 7970 or 590. It will work great on a 7970, but they're not optimized like the workstation cards.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 1:28:43 AM

HEADSHOTPUNK said:
Also, what do you guys think of the NZXT Phantom 410? I'm looking / hoping for a "semi" quite setup.


The Phantom is an excellent choice - the 410 is a stripped down version of the standard Phantom but its still NZXT quality.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 2:52:30 AM

Here is my build so far. Let me know what you think. Also, you'll probably notice that I'm missing a mobo. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with that. I don't want to spend a ton on the mobo but I would also like to get the most current features, including front panel usb 3.0 support.

Onto my list:

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 $90
CPU: Core i7 2700K $320
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 $550
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W $60
SSD: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB $170
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 16GB $90
CD / DVD: Asus Black SATA 24x DVD Burner $20
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo $35

Total: $1335

Again, let me know if anything on that list is junk / not compatible and thanks for your help so far! You guys are awesome!
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 3:00:00 AM

HEADSHOTPUNK said:
Here is my build so far. Let me know what you think. Also, you'll probably notice that I'm missing a mobo. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with that. I don't want to spend a ton on the mobo but I would also like to get the most current features, including front panel usb 3.0 support.

Onto my list:

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 $90
CPU: Core i7 2700K $320
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 $550
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W $60
SSD: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB $170
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 16GB $90
CD / DVD: Asus Black SATA 24x DVD Burner $20
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo $35

Total: $1335

Again, let me know if anything on that list is junk / not compatible and thanks for your help so far! You guys are awesome!


That build looks pretty good - I'd suggest taking a look at getting a Fire Pro so you can swap cards when you need to do work or play - but you can always get one or the other later.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 4:47:05 AM

Sandforce controllers no longer have reliability issues..
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 5:00:59 AM

Any motherboard suggestions?
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 5:01:45 AM

ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 5:07:52 AM

if ur using adobe cs5.5 ur better off with nvidia cards for cuda acceleration
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 12:49:29 PM

Your build looks good... Only thing i'd change is the PSU to one of the more relaible PSU makers (Antec, Seasonic, Corsair)

Have a look at the Corsairs: TX650M, TX750M, TX850M...

If you run 1 X GPU from the Radeon HD 79xx series.. You'll only need the 650w (more than enough)... If you plan on running more than 1 x GPU... Consider the higher wattage ones...
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 12:55:58 PM

Motherboards:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
ASUS P8Z68V Pro/GEN3

Either will do... Both are very overclockable.. Have the front USB3.0 connector and can handle Crossfire/SLI...
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 2:22:24 PM

Does ASRock make good boards? I've got the Gigabyte board in my wishlist but I was just curious.
m
0
l
March 21, 2012 2:34:22 PM

Sorry for so many questions, but what's the difference between the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 and the UD3P? The only reason I ask is because there is a $45 price difference. I would really like to keep it under $1500.
m
0
l

Best solution

March 21, 2012 2:41:02 PM

this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 - $150

if you sli/crossfire in the future... this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold - $140 after rebate

if not... this...

http://216.52.208.185/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ ZT Series 650W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze - $80 after rebate

there are ssd...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB - $130

and cheaper air cooler as well...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR CAFA70 - $25 after rebate

although cases are depends on personal preferences...

http://216.52.208.185/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Fractal Design Arc Midi Black - $102
Share
March 21, 2012 3:09:54 PM

wasupmike said:
Motherboards:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
ASUS P8Z68V Pro/GEN3

Either will do... Both are very overclockable.. Have the front USB3.0 connector and can handle Crossfire/SLI...


I have the UD3P and I'll definitely second this suggestion.

Quote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835181011
CORSAIR CAFA70 - $25 after rebate


The CFA70 is a nice heat sink but Corsair is notorious for including junk, noisy fans with their products - I'd rather pay the extra $10 and get the Evo over paying $50 for extra Noctua fans to replace the included ones.
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 7:42:32 PM

Best answer selected by HEADSHOTPUNK.
m
0
l
!