Scorpiorising

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Hi,
I hope u guys can help me coz I'm a bit lost..

A couple of days back I bought the remains of a dell 755 optiplex SFF for $20 from some guy. It only had the motherboard and case without psu.
Since then I've come to regret it as after 2 days of research I found out this:

1. I had borrowed a CPU, ram and psu and tried to start the pc but all I could see was an amber light on the mother. I couldn't see or hear any beeping or fan sound. I then had to return the parts I borrowed.
2. The dell case seems to be a DTX.

Now my questions are these:

1. Should I buy a dell psu (which costs between $60-30)? Will it work on other motherboards if this ones fried? If a buy a non dell psu will it work on the dell mobo without harming it?
2. After buying the psu (dell or non dell) can I test if the mobo is working without buying CPU and ram? Since If I buy those and the mobo doesn't work, my choice of mobo will be slim.
3. After trying to check (if it's possible) and the dell mobo doesn't work, I was planning to buy a cheap mobo. If the mobo had a processor and hdmi on it would be great(like the atom). I was planning to take the back panel off the case and use an atom based mobo. Is that viable?

My primary objective was to have a cheap pc temporarily to watch stuff on the tv (even if it's VGA) and in the future buy a good GPA with hdmi out and upgrade it.

Any info/suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first