help partiioning and re-formating?

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
My hard drive is already partitioned with a fat32 file system into one c drive. I want to format the drive and do a clean install of my operating system. Do i have to erase the partitions and logical drives, then re-partition and then format. or do i format the drive, then re-partition? do i use fdisk for this or is there a better way to do this? I've never done this before and am not sure of the steps.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The simplest way to do this is just use FDISK. I think that you should partition the drives the way you want, then format the drives. Then install Windows from there.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sigma,

If your drive is already partitioned, and all you want to do is reformat and reinstall Windows, you should be able to run the format c: command from DOS (from a boot disk) and then proceed with the reinstall. If you want to change any of the partition info, or add a partition, then you can do Fdisk, or use another 3rd party utility like Partition Magic or Partition Commander, etc.. There are supposed to be a few FREE partitioners floating around out there too.
I hope this helps..
Phil

G

You can use fdisk to check the partitions you have, and to create or delete partitions, If you have any hdd over about 10G, then I would recommend partitioning your hdd into 2, a c and a d drive, you would have 2 partitions of approx 5g each, having 2 partitions means that your seek time is reduced, windows would then make your cd-rom E:, If you wish to keep your hdd as it is then just boot the sys up with a boot disk and when you reach the A: prompt type format c: then hit enter, this will format your c drive and you will lose all data on the drive, make sure it is a Win 98 boot disk, this will then format in FAT 32, if you use a Win 95 disk it may format in FAT 16 which you dont really want

G

You first need to partition the drive as necessary. (Re)partitioning a drive invalidates any formatting information and any data stored on that format, unless your paritioning tool takes pains to preserve the data and resize an existing partition.

High-end tools such as Partition Magic can preserve your existing data into a smaller C: drive, and create a new primary (bootable) or extended (data) partition in the remaining space. However, since you just want to reinstall, FDISK should work fine. Follow this by a format of the new partitions. (The partitioning is quick, but the formatting is slow.)

Installing Windows should be straightforward after that.

--dv

<font color=purple><b><i>--Insert witty saying or aphorism here--</i></b></font color=purple>

TRENDING THREADS