Reapply thermal paste even if PC was never on?

rapkannibale

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hi,

I am building a new PC and am using the H100 on an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. I had the H100 installed but then had to remove it because I had forgotten to installed the WiFi -Go card on my motherboard :(. Im such a noob I know. :)

Anyway, the H100 comes with thermal paste pre-applied, but when I removed it it was obviously spread around the CPU and the H100. Now, I've read online that you are supposed to remove that thermal paste and reapply new one, but I was wondering if that is necessary even if I never turned the PC on and I am using the exact same CPU cooler?

Also, if I do have to remove it and re-apply, is that just to achieve maximum performance or will my CPU actually burn up if I don't do it. This I ask because I know you are supposed to reapply thermal paste every 6 to 12 months anyways, so was wondering if this, imperfectly applied thermal paste would keep my CPU cool for that long?

Thanks very much in advance!

Cheers!

You should thoroughly clean both the CPU and cooler, then reapply thermal paste.

Even though you have not yet turned on the system, by removing and reinstalling the cooler you can cause 'bubbles' to appear in the thermal paste application.
These bubbles (areas where there is air trapped in the thermal paste) will act as insulators, stopping the flow of heat from the CPU to the cooler.

Play it safe, do it right.