What should I upgrade?

iJay97

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I finally got about £600 saved up! So what should I upgrade?
I've got:
Thermaltake WingRS Case
SyncMaster SA350 24" Moniter
AMD PhenomII 1090T
ASUS M4A78LT-M Motherboard
GTX 460 SE 1GB
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive
8GB 1333Mhz (Don't know the make)
WinPower 750W

I heard intel are beating AMD in nearly every way so maybe I could switch to them? Other than that what should I upgrade to?

I wouldn't upgrade yet. Only item you might get someday is an ssd. I use a 60gb. either sata II or sata III is faster than a conventional hardrive. But don't change motherboards for sata III; the difference in speed between sata II and sata III isn't worth changing boards.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
You may also consider a video card upgrade. Your 460 should play nearly any game out, but I have a friend who had the 560ti and said he was getting stuttering in skyrim with it. He actually ordered a new case after he realized the gtx 570 he bought would not fit his storm scout. Other than that, he has a similar system to yours except he does have an ssd and 990 series gigabyte board.

I'm not sure why you need to upgrade honestly. My boyfriend uses the 460 card on his rig. , and damn if that thing isn't as good as (maybe better than) my newer 550TI factory overclocked. And yes, Skyrim is his favorite game.

Intel is beating AMD in gaming, however the Phenom II is still a respectable gaming CPU in it's own right. I say get a nice cooler, turn up the juice on that 1090T and you're good to go for another year or two of respectable gameability on that rig. You should have no problem hitting 4.0GHZ.

Power supply, its a brand I've never heard of now that you mention it. I'm googling it to learn more about it now. It looks like its not available in the US, at least, every google result I find shows UK based sales. However, looks like from what I've found its a pretty low quality brand. I would recommend a Corsair PSU if they're available in the European market. But I can't really speak to the Euromarket, since you guys use different outlets and voltages than us. But 750 watts should be sufficient.

angaddev

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Yup, try the TX750. Also if you really want to upgrade, I would get an Asus Z68 mobo for ~100-150 quid, and an i5-2500k for about ~150-175. The 460 is my favorite card, though I am an ATI fanboy, the 460 still plays pretty much every game.

TX750 is an absolutely beautiful PSU! Good quality construction down to every detail. No cheap wires, good finish on the unit itself. I'm definitely a fan.

But yea, if OP really wants to upgrade, 2500k and z68 chipset is the way to go. I'm a conservative consumer though, and that Thuban x6 still has some good mileage left on it.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Ah, I should have looked at power supply. For power supply, I can agree with those guys. If available, corsair makes a good PSU. If not, Antec is great too, personally I've had good luck with Cooler Master.

Like I said, looking at things otherwise, my friend who's got almost the same build as you, he recently got an SSD as well as a GTX 570, and he says his games run smoother than with the 560ti he upgraded from.