Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Picking both a PSU for performance build & another for current system

Last response: in Components
July 4, 2012 7:45:57 AM

Hi everyone- I have two systems I need to select PSU models for, and I'm hoping for some advice. I know *about* how much power each system needs I believe, but I don't want to make the mistake of picking a poor quality supply again (Cooler Master) and repeat all the stability issues I have right now. I actually pulled the better 6870 card from the system because it was pushing it over the edge.

PSU budget $40-$90
New build (estimated ~650w PSU need):
Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition case
Asus M5A97 mobo
Phenom II X4 965 black edition
Asus HD 6870 (will be upgraded to 7870 soon after build)
120gb + 90gb SATA III SSD's
1tb 7200rpm HDD
4x4gb 1866mhz DDR3
BD-R optical drive

PSU Budget $35-$65
Current system (limping on 500w Cooler Master eXtreme):
Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition case (moving from Dell tower)
Dell Inspiron 570 factory mobo
Phenom II X4 965 black edition
IceEdge 400 heatsink
Three high-speed 92mm fans (push/pull heatsink + exhaust)
Asus HD 6850 (will be back to 6870 once other build is upgraded)
120gb Intel 330 SSD
500gb WD Caviar Blue HDD
4x4gb 1333mhz DDR3
BD-R optical drive

What are your guys thoughts? I am pretty sure I want both supplies to be rated 80+ and have a single 12v rail to stick with the tried-and-true designs. However, I don't know if it's worth considering going beyond to a 80+ bronze or better rated mode. As of now I pretty much am set on Corsair, but I haven't researched Antac as much.

Many thanks :hello: 
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 8:37:12 AM

Both builds will easily run on a quality 400W or more unit.
m
l

Best solution

a c 1193 ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 6:58:06 PM

For a system using a single reference clocked Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Manual or factory overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 5, 2012 7:56:54 AM

Best answer selected by OCMusicJunkie.
m
l
July 5, 2012 8:20:47 AM

ko888 said:
For a system using a single reference clocked Radeon HD 7870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Manual or factory overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

Thank you! I hadn't really ever heard any so much as mention this concept, so I did a ton of reading after reading your response to get a better grasp. It's no wonder my HD 6870 shuts down my system when I push it or run benchmark tests- it's supposed to be able to draw 27 amps under peak load. My Cooler Master 500w PSU is only rated for 18 amps at 12v. I honestly hope I didn't damage the GPU or any other system components powering it with that piece of junk- I really calculate that I should have a 12v output rated for 40 amps or better when I use the formula provided on this website or a number of others.

I'm now looking to see what the most affordable option for those specs would be for my current system, and what a <$100 option would be for the new build.
m
l
a c 1193 ) Power supply
July 5, 2012 3:53:24 PM

The Seasonic M12II-520 Bronze (SS-520GM) for $59.99, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7870.

Don't let this power supply's label fool you. The label may lead you to think that it has two +12V rails but it really only has one 40 Amp +12V rail.
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:57:54 PM

Whoa that Seasonic is one sweet deal at that price for those specs. I had to pay sales tax here in CA, but did the shoprunner thing for free 2-day shipping (will just cancel before the two weeks). $64 delievered 2nd day for a bronze rated 520w, 40 amp single rail is a steal.

I was going to head over to Fry's today to try picking up a quick fix in person for the daily use system I have taken apart on my desk, but I'm tempted to just order another one of these and wait it out....

*update*

I just found the Corsair TX550M in stock at Fry's for $89 with a $10 mail-in rebate. It's bronze rated at 550w and has a single 12v rail pushing 45 amps. I am debating how patient I am, if it's worth the extra $25 up front with the $10 eventual rebate just to have one rig finished today. I assume both of these look like they are of similar quality?
m
l
July 6, 2012 7:37:11 AM

Delivery of the first will actually be here tomorrow (ordered a second for the other rig). I can't wait to move the setup to the larger case and reinstall the 6870 to test if it will now get through a simple passmark benchmark with a conservative 10% overclock. With any luck this will actually solve the ridiculousness of having the 6850 run higher max fps than its big brother.
m
l
a c 1193 ) Power supply
July 6, 2012 4:33:18 PM

ocmusicjunkie said:
Delivery of the first will actually be here tomorrow (ordered a second for the other rig). I can't wait to move the setup to the larger case and reinstall the 6870 to test if it will now get through a simple passmark benchmark with a conservative 10% overclock. With any luck this will actually solve the ridiculousness of having the 6850 run higher max fps than its big brother.

FurMark GPU Stress Test is what is usually used to determine if a graphics card's power source is sufficient because it places an unrealistic graphics processing load on the graphics card that will cause it to draw its maximum power well beyond what you would encounter in normal usage.

If your system can survive the running of FurMark GPU Stress Testing and Prime95 Torture Testing or IntelBurnTest concurrently then your power supply unit is solid and you don't have to worry about inadequate power.
m
l
July 7, 2012 12:15:21 PM

Thanks for the info on the stress tests- it'll be the first thing I check when I get everything fully functional. With how it was, it was actually freezing at the most GPU intensive 3D test on passmark- a quick temp check by running with OCCT open showed it was only peaking core temps of high 40's for CPU and high 50's for GPU prior to freezing. I'm assuming that only leaves the power supply as the issue (which needed upgrading anyway using manufacturer guidelines). So we'll see.

I'd know right now, as it's 100% in place in the new case, with everything installed. The problem is that I misplaced my displayport adapter so I've only confirmed it's running by using the mobo's VGA port. (doh!) Tomorrow I'll go grab a new DP cable and a couple additional fans (never realized how slow the BIOS would run new 120mm rear fan).
m
l
!