Your question

About To Pull The Trigger! Need Advice!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2012 10:40:28 PM

Below is my partially constructed build. I have all of these parts in my possession.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Case- Corsair 600T
PSU- Seasonic X Sereis 650W
HDD- 1TB Seagate barracuda
CPU Cooler- Hyper 212 Evo
OS- Windows Home Premium
Monitor- Asus VS247H-P 23.6inch
Ram- 8GB ripjaws x series 1866
Optical Drive- LG basic drive
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

I have yet to buy the following parts:

Motherboard- Z68 extreme3 gen3 ASRock
SSD- 120GB mushkin
CPU- i5-2500k
GPU- Still contemplating this, leaning towards the 7870

Before I pull the trigger and buy the remaining parts, is there anything that should be changed? Some people say that I should wait for ivy bridge, some say that the 7870 isn't fast enough.

My budget for the gpu is roughly $400, although if a 7870 is sufficient for my monitor, id rather go with that. I want to max out games with this computer. Also, should I get a better quality motherboard? I won't be heavily overclocking, maybe a little bit in the future.

PLEASE HELP before I spend all my money :) 

More about : pull trigger advice

March 20, 2012 10:56:21 PM

SSD - Imo most stable/best drives - Crucial M4 - Intel (expensive tho but 5 yr warranty) and Samsung 830 series.

Mobo- Is fine choice
Cpu- great choice
Gpu- Great choice on the 7870...Kepler comes out soon but from what I seen its nothing to exciting and its still in speculation since we have seen no official benches yet. But plan on seeing some this week if you can hold out that long. If not go with 7870 I know you will not be disappointed there.
m
l
March 20, 2012 11:01:34 PM

hotthree said:
SSD - Imo most stable/best drives - Crucial M4 - Intel (expensive tho but 5 yr warranty) and Samsung 830 series.

Mobo- Is fine choice
Cpu- great choice
Gpu- Great choice on the 7870...Kepler comes out soon but from what I seen its nothing to exciting and its still in speculation since we have seen no official benches yet. But plan on seeing some this week if you can hold out that long. If not go with 7870 I know you will not be disappointed there.

thank you! what about ivy bridge and the z77 board? should I wait for those?

Im eager to get the computer going so i can make sure the parts i have already purchased work...right now they are just sitting in their boxes
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2012 11:43:54 PM

Well I will tell you this..Do not hold it against me if I am wrong.

Ivybridge could possibly launch this week. I linked the source below with all the details. It's your call to wait or not, but the latest I heard was mid-late april was going to be the launch. If you wait expect to be paying more for the "new" tech, but not much as you can see the prices. probably a 50-70$ premium on the cpu and similar prices on the new z77 mobo's. The problem might be getting your hands on one and being the first adopter...Being a first adopter on the SB's meant waiting for non buggy mobo's.

My suggestion would be to wait if you can bare it. If not you will not be disappointed with a i5 2500k and you won't need to upgrade anytime soon until maybe Haswell at the very earliest.

For me I adopted SB early and I will most likely hold off on IB unless I build a computer for a relative/friend where I can give them a discount by using my old parts. My next upgrade will be haswell / AMD whichever one is the best and even then I might still wait longer.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=743

Edited: I left out mobo suggestion...If you go ivy bridge might as well grab the a z68 board or a new z77. p67 is kinda outdated.

Im not up to date on my z77 knowledge, but it will have 3.0 pci etc. (3.0 pci e will not be a big improvement down the road but it is fairly standard now) Also I think the z68/z77 boards have some sort of cache for hdd/sdd's which is a good improvement. Both will have a onboard graphics hookup (good for making sure gpu is working / back up in case it dies)

So imo go for a new z68 board or the newest boards z77 if you can afford. There really is no reason not to unless your budget does not allow it. Typically mobo's are released at very similar prices as the previous gen boards.
m
l
March 20, 2012 11:50:07 PM

In addition, IB will only provide 10-20% performance gains, but you'll pay a lot more for the CPU and mobo. Intel follows a certain roadmap called tick tock. Each tick is a small redesign, but the tocks are major changes. IB is a tick. Haswell is a tock. Get an i5 2500K and 2-3 years from now, upgarde(entirely your choice).
m
l
March 21, 2012 12:04:40 AM

^ I agree completely, but check IB prices...there not that bad.

$225 for i5 2500k replacement (pure speculation though)...Thats nearly the same. So it would not be much more to upgrade. In that case IB would be ok to wait for.

SB would be quickest (no waiting) most concrete answer atm.

If you wait though the amd cards might drop. What monitor are you using? 1980x1080? If so 7870 will be plenty of card.
m
l
March 21, 2012 12:26:32 AM

hotthree said:
^ I agree completely, but check IB prices...there not that bad.

$225 for i5 2500k replacement (pure speculation though)...Thats nearly the same. So it would not be much more to upgrade. In that case IB would be ok to wait for.

SB would be quickest (no waiting) most concrete answer atm.

If you wait though the amd cards might drop. What monitor are you using? 1980x1080? If so 7870 will be plenty of card.

yeah 1920x1080, if ivy bridge comes out soon i can wait..but i have half of my build waiting on my desk haha, also, when will we see z77 boards come out?

-thanks!
m
l
March 21, 2012 12:48:31 AM

ivybridge doesnt perform much better than sandybridge, its slightly more energy efficient and has a better gpu on die. just get a sandy
m
l
March 21, 2012 12:54:35 AM

neon neophyte said:
ivybridge doesnt perform much better than sandybridge, its slightly more energy efficient and has a better gpu on die. just get a sandy

what do you think about the z77 board?
m
l
March 21, 2012 1:03:24 AM

Hysteria said:
what do you think about the z77 board?

havent looked into it too much to be honest, just glanced ivy performance. if i recall its improvements are built in usb 3.0 and pci 3.0.
m
l
March 21, 2012 3:11:55 AM

neon neophyte said:
havent looked into it too much to be honest, just glanced ivy performance. if i recall its improvements are built in usb 3.0 and pci 3.0.

someone told me it had a feature that significantly boosted graphical performance.

Will the sandy prices drop soon to make way for ivy bridge? what about the z68 boards?

-thanks!
m
l
March 21, 2012 4:27:57 AM

the only better graphical performance ive heard about is the ondie gpu. the hd4000 or whatever. it is better than whats on sandybrdige (hd3000) but you probably wont ever use it (dedicated gpu)

prices are probably nearly as low as theyll get, assuming you find a good sale. i think ive seen 2500k for 170 bucks
m
l
March 21, 2012 5:06:47 AM

neon neophyte said:
the only better graphical performance ive heard about is the ondie gpu. the hd4000 or whatever. it is better than whats on sandybrdige (hd3000) but you probably wont ever use it (dedicated gpu)

prices are probably nearly as low as theyll get, assuming you find a good sale. i think ive seen 2500k for 170 bucks

so forget the z77 and ivy bridge?

Will I even notice a difference between the two?
m
l
March 21, 2012 6:00:47 AM

ohh i just remembered i think z77 has a kind of virtu with more... something. i didnt really look into it

performance wise, ivybridge wont be much better. you will only really notice the difference if you use the gpu that comes with the cpu
m
l
March 21, 2012 7:33:33 AM

Hysteria said:
Below is my partially constructed build. I have all of these parts in my possession.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Case- Corsair 600T
PSU- Seasonic X Sereis 650W
HDD- 1TB Seagate barracuda
CPU Cooler- Hyper 212 Evo
OS- Windows Home Premium
Monitor- Asus VS247H-P 23.6inch
Ram- 8GB ripjaws x series 1866
Optical Drive- LG basic drive
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

I have yet to buy the following parts:

Motherboard- Z68 extreme3 gen3 ASRock
SSD- 120GB mushkin
CPU- i5-2500k
GPU- Still contemplating this, leaning towards the 7870

Before I pull the trigger and buy the remaining parts, is there anything that should be changed? Some people say that I should wait for ivy bridge, some say that the 7870 isn't fast enough.

My budget for the gpu is roughly $400, although if a 7870 is sufficient for my monitor, id rather go with that. I want to max out games with this computer. Also, should I get a better quality motherboard? I won't be heavily overclocking, maybe a little bit in the future.

PLEASE HELP before I spend all my money :) 

nothings wrong with mushkin SSD.it's great and reliable.
7870 will score 30+(in most critical conditions)in any game at ultra settings.its faster than a 570 and runs on par with gtx 580.with a bit of overclock,i am sure it will beat a 580.BTW HIS 7950 is just $40 more than your budget($440).it's faster than 7870.but if you don't wanna spend more than $400 than 7870 is a great choice.
m
l
March 21, 2012 9:25:28 PM

hellfire24 said:
nothings wrong with mushkin SSD.it's great and reliable.
7870 will score 30+(in most critical conditions)in any game at ultra settings.its faster than a 570 and runs on par with gtx 580.with a bit of overclock,i am sure it will beat a 580.BTW HIS 7950 is just $40 more than your budget($440).it's faster than 7870.but if you don't wanna spend more than $400 than 7870 is a great choice.

im considering a 7950, although the 680 looks zoo nice at $500, which would totally break my budget. Im only running on a single 1920x1080 24inch monitor, so wouldn't a 680 be overkill?
m
l
March 21, 2012 11:33:49 PM

bump, please help!
m
l
March 22, 2012 2:29:04 AM

7950 is enough to max out any game at 1080p.680 isnt a great performer.
m
l
March 22, 2012 7:17:22 PM

hellfire24 said:
7950 is enough to max out any game at 1080p.680 isnt a great performer.

what do you mean about the 680?

also, when about the 660ti and 670?
m
l
March 22, 2012 7:25:41 PM

well for $500,gtx 680 is the best deal!
m
l
March 22, 2012 8:56:26 PM

hellfire24 said:
well for $500,gtx 680 is the best deal!

SOLD OUT haha, but my budget is like $400 so unless I want to break my budget should I look at a 580? or 7950? or wait for 660ti/670?
m
l
March 22, 2012 11:27:38 PM

Hysteria said:
SOLD OUT haha, but my budget is like $400 so unless I want to break my budget should I look at a 580? or 7950? or wait for 660ti/670?

for $100 more you will be much happier with the 680. It is the most powerful single gpu card currently available. And it will be more future proof as it will hold up the performance for a longer period of time when new graphically intensive games come out.

Running a game at the highest graphical settings is only half the equation. For the best looking gameplay you need to be running the framerate at 50fps and above, 60fps constant will give you the best gameplay and a more immersive game environment. If my GPU cannot run a game at 60FPS I will turn down the graphics settings to achieve the higher framerate.

So just get the highest single gpu you can afford. The GTX 680 being the current king and will produce far better results for some eyegasm graphics, and $100 more is not a whole lot more in the total scheme of things, but its up to u.

Look at benchmarks to help u decide. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...
m
l
March 23, 2012 1:24:24 AM

Swolern said:
for $100 more you will be much happier with the 680. It is the most powerful single gpu card currently available. And it will be more future proof as it will hold up the performance for a longer period of time when new graphically intensive games come out.

Running a game at the highest graphical settings is only half the equation. For the best looking gameplay you need to be running the framerate at 50fps and above, 60fps constant will give you the best gameplay and a more immersive game environment. If my GPU cannot run a game at 60FPS I will turn down the graphics settings to achieve the higher framerate.

So just get the highest single gpu you can afford. The GTX 680 being the current king and will produce far better results for some eyegasm graphics, and $100 more is not a whole lot more in the total scheme of things, but its up to u.

Look at benchmarks to help u decide. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...

is a 680 overkill for a 1080p monitor?

what do you think about z77 and ivy?
m
l
March 23, 2012 2:33:18 AM

^ bump
m
l
March 23, 2012 5:16:17 AM

Nope, it is not if you want the best eyecandies turned on. :) 
m
l
March 23, 2012 8:10:13 AM

Hysteria said:
is a 680 overkill for a 1080p monitor?

what do you think about z77 and ivy?

Overkill no, badass hell yea! Why? 2 reasons:
1. Some of the high graphical games need this kind of power, even in 1080p, to run them at their full potential and at the smooth as butter high framerate. Ex. Crysis 1&2, Wither 2, BF3, Metro 2033, Batman AC, the list goes on.
2. Future Proof, you want to make ur PC last as long as possible. This king card will hold out longer as even more graphically intense, realistic games come out. Ex. Samaritan, the next Unreal graphic engine coming in the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

And guess what, they ran that with one GTX 680!!!!! :o 

I have the Z68 mobo by Asus and it's great. Z77 will also include the addition of two new technologies: Smart Connect (allowing the computer to receive emails and refresh webpages while it is in sleep mode) and Rapid Start (faster boot times). Worth it? Not for me, but it might be for u, u have to decide.

It's going to be a while until the current i2500k & i2600k will need to be upgraded? They run perfectly fine with stock speed with all games and 99.9% of specific applications. Will the Ivybrigde be better? Heck ya. Will you see any difference in current high end gaming. Probably not.

Hope it helps. Good luck
m
l
March 23, 2012 9:13:03 AM

Swolern said:
Overkill no, badass hell yea! Why? 2 reasons:
1. Some of the high graphical games need this kind of power, even in 1080p, to run them at their full potential and at the smooth as butter high framerate. Ex. Crysis 1&2, Wither 2, BF3, Metro 2033, Batman AC, the list goes on.
2. Future Proof, you want to make ur PC last as long as possible. This king card will hold out longer as even more graphically intense, realistic games come out. Ex. Samaritan, the next Unreal graphic engine coming in the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

And guess what, they ran that with one GTX 680!!!!! :o 

I have the Z68 mobo by Asus and it's great. Z77 will also include the addition of two new technologies: Smart Connect (allowing the computer to receive emails and refresh webpages while it is in sleep mode) and Rapid Start (faster boot times). Worth it? Not for me, but it might be for u, u have to decide.

It's going to be a while until the current i2500k & i2600k will need to be upgraded? They run perfectly fine with stock speed with all games and 99.9% of specific applications. Will the Ivybrigde be better? Heck ya. Will you see any difference in current high end gaming. Probably not.

Hope it helps. Good luck

thanks! trying to get as many opinions as possible! I don't think i need the flagship cards, (i may get them anyways haha..), maybe a 7950 or 670 or something?
m
l
March 23, 2012 9:58:00 AM

Hysteria said:
thanks! trying to get as many opinions as possible! I don't think i need the flagship cards, (i may get them anyways haha..), maybe a 7950 or 670 or something?

No prob. I was in the same boat as u 5 months ago when I built my rig, i5 2500k/Asus z68/EVGA 590. If possible buy a GPU at a place that takes returns with no restocking fees. Frys Electronics close to me does that. I took back 2 AMD 6970 cause they were giving me too much trouble.
m
l
March 24, 2012 1:35:48 AM

Swolern said:
No prob. I was in the same boat as u 5 months ago when I built my rig, i5 2500k/Asus z68/EVGA 590. If possible buy a GPU at a place that takes returns with no restocking fees. Frys Electronics close to me does that. I took back 2 AMD 6970 cause they were giving me too much trouble.

would i save a significant amount of money if i waited a few weeks to get z68 and i5 2500k? Im essentially trying to determine whither to buy z68 and i5 2500k now, or wait for ivy and z77
m
l
March 24, 2012 7:08:41 AM

Hysteria said:
would i save a significant amount of money if i waited a few weeks to get z68 and i5 2500k? Im essentially trying to determine whither to buy z68 and i5 2500k now, or wait for ivy and z77

You will save money, not sure how much. With technology the longer you wait, the cheaper it gets, most of the time. Do you have to have it right now? If not try to wait a couple weeks. During those couple weeks waiting you could shop for other components.............Oh wait you already got everything else. Thats a tough one. My guess would be savings of $40-$80 for mobo/cpu combo, but that could take up to a month.

Best deal right now is if you live close to a Microcenter the i5 2500k for $179 and a extra $50 off when u buy a z68 mobo with the i5. Cheapest i saw was $200 total for both the i5 2500k and z68 mobo combo after $50 discount and rebate. http://slickdeals.net/f/4108487-Microcenter-In-Store-On... I doubt the post Ivybridge prices will get much lower than that for a while.
m
l
March 24, 2012 12:37:26 PM

stick with your i5 2500K and a z68 mobo, for now you don't really need the few fps/performance boost of the IB that of course if you can wait out 1 month then it's no problem go ivy or sb whichever one you can get the cheapest. but if you think saving 30-80$ is worth your 1-2 months wait depending on location is a great choice then do so ^_^
m
l
March 24, 2012 6:57:06 PM

Swolern said:
You will save money, not sure how much. With technology the longer you wait, the cheaper it gets, most of the time. Do you have to have it right now? If not try to wait a couple weeks. During those couple weeks waiting you could shop for other components.............Oh wait you already got everything else. Thats a tough one. My guess would be savings of $40-$80 for mobo/cpu combo, but that could take up to a month.

Best deal right now is if you live close to a Microcenter the i5 2500k for $179 and a extra $50 off when u buy a z68 mobo with the i5. Cheapest i saw was $200 total for both the i5 2500k and z68 mobo combo after $50 discount and rebate. http://slickdeals.net/f/4108487-Microcenter-In-Store-On... I doubt the post Ivybridge prices will get much lower than that for a while.

okay thanks, i saw that the z68 mobo iwas looking at was mATX, so its smaller? does that mean it uses less standoffs in my case? should i get a full sized board? thanks!
m
l
March 24, 2012 7:57:34 PM

Hysteria said:
okay thanks, i saw that the z68 mobo iwas looking at was mATX, so its smaller? does that mean it uses less standoffs in my case? should i get a full sized board? thanks!

Oh sorry didn't realize that was listed with a mATX board. No I would stay away from mATX. I believe the $50 off combo discount is good with any z68 mobo. I would pick a standard ATX with at least 2 PCI-e slots. Be aware that u have to be close to a Microcenter because it's in store pick-up only.
m
l
March 24, 2012 8:49:01 PM

in terms of your GPU, stick with the 7870. it's just as power FPS wise as the gtx 580 so that means any game released so far should play at at least 35 FPS on maxed out settings at 1080p. games coming out later this fall and next year... you won't be able to play at the ultra seetings i think but definitely a mix of high/medium. it's a great choice of a card and i'm considering it myself.
m
l
March 24, 2012 9:55:16 PM

paradoxeternal said:
in terms of your GPU, stick with the 7870. it's just as power FPS wise as the gtx 580 so that means any game released so far should play at at least 35 FPS on maxed out settings at 1080p. games coming out later this fall and next year... you won't be able to play at the ultra seetings i think but definitely a mix of high/medium. it's a great choice of a card and i'm considering it myself.

okay thank you. Im also thinking about the 7950, if the prices on them drop soon cus of the competition with the 680
m
l
!