Sign in with
Your question

I'm looking to upgrade my PSU and processor any recommendations?

Last response: in CPUs
July 4, 2012 2:31:51 PM

I'm not ENTIRELY sure if I need to upgrade my PSU if I upgrade my processor, I haven't really learned much about processor upgrades, but I'm looking to upgrade to a quad-core from a dual core. I'm on a budget so I can't really spend too much on these components. My mobo is an M2N68-LA (Narra5). Right now I have an Athlon II X2 220. My PC is called a slimline s5703w, oh yeah, I also have an HD 6570 in my pc. My PSU is 220w.
Here's some stuff HP tells me about my processor upgrade information:

TDP: 95W
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

NOTE:o nly socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Athlon X4
AMD Athlon X3
AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 330 À AMD
July 4, 2012 2:57:38 PM

For just the CPU upgrade no need to replace the PSU but since you have the card in there you will be pushing it close to the limit with 220watts!
m
l
December 19, 2012 2:15:42 PM

das_stig said:
Narra5 does support AM3 CPU's, people using them with Phenom II x4 925 with the latest bios.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/M2N68-LA-...

I know this post is old but........
I'm not sure why you say that, the M2N68-LA (Narra5) supports am3 cpu's.
Mine had a sempron 140 and now a AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W.
for people that are confused about cpu compatibility. just check hp website with a higher up version of the slimline with same mobo.
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport...

I really hate when people give the redundant copy and past cpu support list from hp with this board. the best answer for quad core cpu is to find people who have actually got them to work on the narra mobo.

things to look for.
it will not go past 95watts though.
older cpu for this board made before 2010 of bios version
am3 compatible cpus
m
l
Related resources
!