Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I'm not even sure if I'm in the right section of the forum

Last response: in Components
July 4, 2012 3:08:57 PM

I just had a diagnostic run on my computer and was told that the Socket 775 processor has issues.

I'm unable to find anyone that sells this processor as it has been phased out

Is there another solution to my problem without having to replace the entire system? I'm not sure if I can upgrade and, if so, to what.

My system is, I suppose, by all standards considered a dinosaur. I purchased it in 2006. It is an HP Pavillion. I can't give many specifics on it as the tower is in the computer repair shop right now. (as I mentioned.. they can't do anything for me).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kelly
(MizKel)

More about : section forum

July 4, 2012 3:13:53 PM

Try upgrading the drivers. Could be just a small issue as such.

Cheers

Best solution

July 4, 2012 6:08:48 PM

plenty of them on ebay

though socket 775 covers a lot of cpus

would need to know your current cpu or motherboard or model number of pavillion

what was the actual problem when you put it in the shop?

normally faulty cpu would give no display
Related resources
July 4, 2012 9:47:12 PM

you can still buy them, especially on ebay, but they are pricey, and you have ask if you are going to pay say £160, would it be better to spend £250 and get a new platform.
if the shop is suggesting you buy new, then consider their motives.

BTW, its really rare for a cpu to go faulty like that, mobo & psu yes, cpus not so much.
July 11, 2012 3:33:23 AM

MizKel said:
I just had a diagnostic run on my computer and was told that the Socket 775 processor has issues.

I'm unable to find anyone that sells this processor as it has been phased out

Is there another solution to my problem without having to replace the entire system? I'm not sure if I can upgrade and, if so, to what.

My system is, I suppose, by all standards considered a dinosaur. I purchased it in 2006. It is an HP Pavillion. I can't give many specifics on it as the tower is in the computer repair shop right now. (as I mentioned.. they can't do anything for me).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kelly
(MizKel)

Good evening everyone. Such a noob at these things.

I wanted to take the time to thank all of you for your replies.

It turns out it was my motherboard that failed. I had a new one put in my computer and all seems to be well. The fan is a bit noisy but that can be taken care of in time.

I appreciate the replies I got from all of you and have saved them for future reference. :) 
July 21, 2012 3:41:26 AM

Best answer selected by MizKel.
!