CPU security for traveling

greatarcantos

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hello enthusiasts

I will be traveling abroad in the next days and I *need* to take my build with me. I still have the original boxes for every part, so the GPU, PSU HDD, etc, will be traveling safely in their boxes.

The problem is, I don't know what to do with my processor. Would it be safer to leave it plugged in the motherboard and pack the motherboard in it's box?

Or would it be safer to remove the processor, pack it in it's own box, and then plug it back when I get to my destination?

Any advice or suggestion is appreciated for real!
Thanks

Solution
You're probably better off leaving the CPU attached to the motherrboard. As long as the socket plate is still locked down, the CPU shouldn't move. Taking the CPU out adds the risk of bent pins either on the CPU or the motherboard socket depending on which CPU you have.
You're probably better off leaving the CPU attached to the motherrboard. As long as the socket plate is still locked down, the CPU shouldn't move. Taking the CPU out adds the risk of bent pins either on the CPU or the motherboard socket depending on which CPU you have.

Solution
flying or driving?

if driving shouldnt need to disassemble anything--i have put my tower unit in the car loads of times and driven long

distance with no issues--i just put a blanket in the boot to stop scratches and lay the tower down on its side with the

heatsink in the upright position

greatarcantos

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
@Supernova Thanks, that's why I'd rather not have to unisntall/reinstall processor. The heatsink fan is safe to remove and place again is it? It doesn't fit in the mobo box..

@mcnumpty Haha yeah I take whole pc's on car all the time too, but this time i'm flying.